* alsa-drivers can't make on kernel 2.6 because of broken vx driver
@ 2004-01-06 12:30 Kristof vansant
From: Kristof vansant @ 2004-01-06 12:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

I don't know how alsa patches drivers when it has to compile on kernel
2.6, so I don't know how to fix it.

I think lot of kernel 2.6 users would be gratefull if you fixed this
issue.

  CC [M]  /home/lupus/alsa-driver-1.0.0rc2/pcmcia/vx/vxp440.o
/home/lupus/alsa-driver-1.0.0rc2/pcmcia/vx/vxp440.c:6:31:
linux/modversions.h: Onbekend bestand of map
/home/lupus/alsa-driver-1.0.0rc2/pcmcia/vx/vxp440.c:7:25: sndversions.h:
Onbekend bestand of map
make[3]: *** [/home/lupus/alsa-driver-1.0.0rc2/pcmcia/vx/vxp440.o] Fout
1
make[2]: *** [/home/lupus/alsa-driver-1.0.0rc2/pcmcia/vx] Fout 2
make[1]: *** [/home/lupus/alsa-driver-1.0.0rc2/pcmcia] Fout 2
make[1]: Weggaan uit map `/lib/modules/2.6.0-1.104/build'
make: *** [compile] Fout 1

Lupus (Kristof Vansant)

* Re: alsa-drivers can't make on kernel 2.6 because of broken vx driver
@ 2004-01-06 13:56 ` Ed Wildgoose
From: Ed Wildgoose @ 2004-01-06 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

> I don't know how alsa patches drivers when it has to compile on kernel
> 2.6, so I don't know how to fix it.

See my message in Alsa-Users posted a few hours ago with title: "Can not
patch 2.6 kernel"

The answer is listed on the first page of the alsa website in fact! I failed
to read it at first, however, basically you apply the drivers to your 2.6
kernel and recompile the kernel.  Just done it and everything seems to be
working nicely

Good luck

* Re: alsa-drivers can't make on kernel 2.6 because of broken vx driver
@ 2004-01-06 14:27   ` Kristof vansant
From: Kristof vansant @ 2004-01-06 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

That's a work around not a fix :p :)

./configure --with-cards=driver_name

does the trick to but it's not a fix :)

Lupus (Kristof Vansant)

@ 2004-01-06 18:03 ` Klaus-Peter Schrage
From: Klaus-Peter Schrage @ 2004-01-06 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kristof vansant; +Cc: alsa-devel

Kristof vansant wrote:
> I don't know how alsa patches drivers when it has to compile on kernel
> 2.6, so I don't know how to fix it.
>
> I think lot of kernel 2.6 users would be gratefull if you fixed this
> issue.
>
>   CC [M]  /home/lupus/alsa-driver-1.0.0rc2/pcmcia/vx/vxp440.o
> /home/lupus/alsa-driver-1.0.0rc2/pcmcia/vx/vxp440.c:6:31:
> linux/modversions.h: Onbekend bestand of map

My Dutch is a bit rusty, but I guess the last line expresses that
modversions.h is missing. As far as I remember, this is created during
the kernel build process. So, is this a virgin kernel source which
hasn't been configured and compiled yet?
Klaus

* Re: alsa-drivers can't make on kernel 2.6 because of broken vx driver
@ 2004-01-06 18:29   ` Kristof vansant
From: Kristof vansant @ 2004-01-06 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Klaus-Peter Schrage; +Cc: alsa-devel

kernel-source is installed but idd a virgin ;)
but I don't think that, that is the cause.
Because only this driver has problems with it.

--
lupus  (Kristof Vansant Belgium)

* Re: alsa-drivers can't make on kernel 2.6 because of broken vx driver
@ 2004-01-06 19:01     ` Klaus-Peter Schrage
From: Klaus-Peter Schrage @ 2004-01-06 19:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kristof vansant; +Cc: alsa-devel

Kristof vansant wrote:
> kernel-source is installed but idd a virgin ;)
> but I don't think that, that is the cause.
> Because only this driver has problems with it.

You can't compile your driver if the neccessary kernel headers are not
present!
Klaus
(sorry about thinking you were Dutch, but I think the language from the
compiler output should be similar in Belgium ;-)