* quake3 and alsa trouble: resampler probably doesn't work properly?
@ 2004-01-04 18:06 Prakash K. Cheemplavam
From: Prakash K. Cheemplavam @ 2004-01-04 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

Hi all,

I am using nforce2 with intel8x0 compiled into 2.6.1-rc1-mm1 based kernel.

if you just start quake3 then you will have no sound. If you apply the
famous cat "bla direct" > /bla/pcm/bla (and the other disable for
capture), then sound reappears. Ok. But as soon as I load a map (except
the very first one) quake will "soft freeze" ie you will hear a portion
of sound getting repeated and quake3 as such seems to be frozen. But you
can simple kill it and the rest of the system is not affected. I then
compiled debug into alsa and got this assert error in the "soft freeze":

ALSA sound/core/pcm_lib.c:61: BUG? (runtime->silence_filled <=
runtime->buffer_size) (called from c030c7ad)

(I got this error with alsa0.9.8, which can be provoked if you set
soundspeed to something high in the quake config, setting it to 0 quake
works with alsa 0.9.8, but not with latest alsa)

I treid setting the other alsa-oss options (read in the alsa
Documentation about alsa-oss) , as well, but didn't help. I noticed that
the "whole-frag" option didn't appear, even if I cat it into the proc
setting. might that be the problem? I looked into the source and this
option isn't there, so docs are not up to date.

So, I have an idea, what is wrong with alsa1.x. When using alsa 0.9.8:

------- sound initialization -------
------------------------------------
----- Sound Info -----
sound system is muted
1 stereo
32768 samples
16 samplebits
1 submission_chunk
22050 speed
0x46a0c000 dma buffer
No background file.

and quake3 works. Whereas with alsa1.x speed is set to 48000, no matter
what I set in the config file. Furthermore *if* I set sndspeed to 48000
then quake3 hangs also with alsa 0.9.8.

So my conclusion: There is something wrong with alsa resampler. This
also can be seen in other instances and reports users have filed in. I
hope this gets fixed soon.

Thanx,

Prakash

* Re: quake3 and alsa trouble: resampler probably doesn't work properly?
@ 2004-01-05  9:54 ` Jaroslav Kysela
From: Jaroslav Kysela @ 2004-01-05  9:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Prakash K. Cheemplavam; +Cc: alsa-devel

On Sun, 4 Jan 2004, Prakash K. Cheemplavam wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am using nforce2 with intel8x0 compiled into 2.6.1-rc1-mm1 based kernel.
>
> if you just start quake3 then you will have no sound. If you apply the
> famous cat "bla direct" > /bla/pcm/bla (and the other disable for
> capture), then sound reappears. Ok. But as soon as I load a map (except
> the very first one) quake will "soft freeze" ie you will hear a portion
> of sound getting repeated and quake3 as such seems to be frozen. But you
> can simple kill it and the rest of the system is not affected. I then
> compiled debug into alsa and got this assert error in the "soft freeze":

Can you try the latest kernel patch?

ftp://ftp.alsa-project.org/pub/kernel-patches/alsa-bk-2003-12-30.patch.gz

						Jaroslav

-----
Jaroslav Kysela <perex@suse.cz>
Linux Kernel Sound Maintainer
ALSA Project, SuSE Labs

* Re: quake3 and alsa trouble: resampler probably doesn't work properly?
@ 2004-01-05 11:53   ` Prakash K. Cheemplavam
From: Prakash K. Cheemplavam @ 2004-01-05 11:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jaroslav Kysela; +Cc: alsa-devel

Jaroslav Kysela wrote:
> On Sun, 4 Jan 2004, Prakash K. Cheemplavam wrote:
>

>>Hi all,
>>
>>I am using nforce2 with intel8x0 compiled into 2.6.1-rc1-mm1 based kernel.
>>
>>if you just start quake3 then you will have no sound. If you apply the
>>famous cat "bla direct" > /bla/pcm/bla (and the other disable for
>>capture), then sound reappears. Ok. But as soon as I load a map (except
>>the very first one) quake will "soft freeze" ie you will hear a portion
>>of sound getting repeated and quake3 as such seems to be frozen. But you
>>can simple kill it and the rest of the system is not affected. I then
>>compiled debug into alsa and got this assert error in the "soft freeze":
>

> Can you try the latest kernel patch?
>
> ftp://ftp.alsa-project.org/pub/kernel-patches/alsa-bk-2003-12-30.patch.gz

I already tried it AFAIK. alsa 1.0.1 IIRC. Same issue. I even tried cvs
from 01.01.04. No go.

@ 2004-01-08 19:47     ` Prakash K. Cheemplavam
From: Prakash K. Cheemplavam @ 2004-01-08 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Jaroslav Kysela, alsa-devel

I just tried alsa 1.0.1 release and it still has the same error.

Prakash

@ 2004-01-15 16:23 ` Prakash K. Cheemplavam
From: Prakash K. Cheemplavam @ 2004-01-15 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Prakash K. Cheemplavam; +Cc: alsa-devel

Perhaps this helps:

bash-2.05b# cat /proc/asound/card0/codec97#0/ac97#0-0
0-0/0: Realtek ALC650 rev 3

Capabilities     :
DAC resolution   : 20-bit
ADC resolution   : 18-bit
3D enhancement   : Realtek 3D Stereo Enhancement

Current setup
Mic gain         : +0dB [+0dB]
POP path         : pre 3D
Sim. stereo      : off
3D enhancement   : off
Loudness         : off
Mono output      : MIX
Mic select       : Mic1
ADC/DAC loopback : off
Extended ID      : codec=0 rev=1 LDAC SDAC CDAC DSA=0 SPDIF DRA VRA
Extended status  : SPCV LDAC SDAC CDAC SPDIF=3/4 VRA
PCM front DAC    : 48000Hz
PCM Surr DAC     : 48000Hz
PCM LFE DAC      : 48000Hz
PCM ADC          : 22050Hz
SPDIF Control    : Consumer PCM Category=0x2 Generation=1 Rate=48kHz
SPDIF In Status  : Not Locked

As I mailed, the error is still present in lastest alsa release
1.0.1. Any news? I got no response if this is taken as bug report or
just being ignored.

bye,

Prakash

http://www.eclipsecon.org/osdn