* Re: dosemu multicast w/ dosghsrv (ghost)
@ 2004-01-08 20:52 Stas Sergeev
From: Stas Sergeev @ 2004-01-08 20:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-msdos

Hello.

Eric Becker wrote:
> an "ifconfig tap0 192.168.1.13 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast
> 192.168.1.255" so that it would talk with my network (my server is
> 192.168.1.12).
Will not work. The IP address you assign
to tap0 is not the IP address your DOS
client has. The way you did it, you got
a separate PtP network consisted of a DOS
client and tap0/Linux, in which case you
have to resort to routing.
To make your DOS session to work inside
your existing 192.168.1.0 network (so that
the broadcast can work, ARP etc), you must
not assign any IP address and netmask to
tap0, and set up the bridging to some interface
which also doesn't have an IP address.

> However, the first set of
> instructions for TUN/TAP support instruct the user to "Configure the
> DOS network clients to have another IP address within the same domain".
> I'm a bit confused as to what will need to be loaded on the dos client in
> order for it to network.
That depends on a client. If it is supposed
to work with the packet driver, nothing
needs to be loaded, since the packet driver
is built in. If it works with NDIS, you'll
need a PKT->NDIS remapper, etc. You have
to figure out that yourself, since again
this is unrelated to dosemu, but is most
likely written in the docs of a software
you are trying to run.

> So then with the above setup I will only be able to communicate with
> the machine I'm running dosemu on?
Yes, or resort to an IP routing (which
is not what you want).

> But in order to communicate with the
> rest of th 192.168.1.x subnet I will have to bridge tap0 with another
> ethernet device (i.e. eth0)?
Yes.

> And then the dosghsrv can recieve requests
> from the ghost clients to broadcast the ghost images via multicast?
Yes, but the bridge must be transparent,
ie. no IP address for tap0 neither for eth0.
Removing the IP address from eth0 however
will mean that while the DOS client will
be visible in that subnet, the linux box
will not - it will became a transparent
bridge. In case you need the DOS client to
communicate with the rest of the subnet, and
*also* with the machine where dosemu is
running, then you'll have to use a very
tricky technique. Hope you don't need that:)

* Re: dosemu multicast w/ dosghsrv (ghost)
@ 2004-01-08 17:43 ` Bart Oldeman
From: Bart Oldeman @ 2004-01-08 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Becker; +Cc: linux-msdos

On Thu, 8 Jan 2004, Eric Becker wrote:

> Now I'm a bit confused as to what needs to be setup by my DOS network
> client.  Originally, I assumed that dosemu would be similar to vmware,
> in that I would need to load a dos network driver.  But, as you stated,
> I won't need to load a network driver.

Essentially a packet driver is built in: int 0x60. The DOS applications
must then be configured individually to know what IP they have and if
applicable the gateway and name server. Where to do that depends on the
app. E.g. for applications that use WATTCP it's wattcp.cfg

VMWARE would actually emulate an ethernet device, but DOSEMU emulates
something that is higher level, the packet driver.

In real mode DOS I would load a packet driver that talks to my ether net
card and use that (using int60) in DOS apps likewise.

> However, the first set of
> instructions for TUN/TAP support instruct the user to "Configure the DOS
> network clients to have another IP address within the same domain".  I'm
> a bit confused as to what will need to be loaded on the dos client in
> order for it to network.

Nothing loaded, just a config setting. Try NCSA telnet or SSHDOS
(sshdos.sf.net) to get the idea.

> > Bridging comes in handy if you're talking to the
> > outside world
> > http://edeca.net/articles/bridging/
> > says how this works in user mode linux (UML). DOSEMU > works likewise.
>
> So then with the above setup I will only be able to communicate with the
> machine I'm running dosemu on?  But in order to communicate with the
> rest of th 192.168.1.x subnet I will have to bridge tap0 with another
> ethernet device (i.e. eth0)?  And then the dosghsrv can recieve requests
> from the ghost clients to broadcast the ghost images via multicast?

AFAIK yes, yes, I don't know. Probably, but I never tried that myself.

Bart

* Re: dosemu multicast w/ dosghsrv (ghost)
@ 2004-01-08 15:27 Eric Becker
From: Eric Becker @ 2004-01-08 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bartoldeman; +Cc: linux-msdos

Thanks to everyone that replied.

> There's more to it: you need to set up a network
> interface. Read Chapter
> 15 of Readme.txt
> http://dosemu.sourceforge.net/docs/README/1.2/t1.html
> for details.

Gotcha.  I followed the second option for setting up TUN/TAP support.  I
used tunctl to setup a persistent tap device (tun0) and I used the -u
option followed by the username that will be running dosemu.  I then did
an "ifconfig tap0 192.168.1.13 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast
192.168.1.255" so that it would talk with my network (my server is
192.168.1.12).  Now if I do an ifconfig, I can see the tap0 device with
the proper ip, netmask, and broadcast addresses.

Now I'm a bit confused as to what needs to be setup by my DOS network
client.  Originally, I assumed that dosemu would be similar to vmware,
in that I would need to load a dos network driver.  But, as you stated,
I won't need to load a network driver.  However, the first set of

@ 2004-01-08 13:42 ` Bart Oldeman
From: Bart Oldeman @ 2004-01-08 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Becker; +Cc: linux-msdos

On Wed, 7 Jan 2004, Eric Becker wrote:

(sorry for acting a bit like the Beagle 2, I'm back).

> I'm trying to setup dosemu so that I can run the dos multicast server
> from ghost. I'm actually using the supplied freedos instead of msdos.
> In my /etc/dosemu/dosemu.conf
>
> $_pktdriver = (on)
> $_netdev = "tap0"
> $_vnet = "tap"
>
> If I do an lsmod I can see that tun is loaded.

There's more to it: you need to set up a network interface. Read Chapter
15 of Readme.txt
http://dosemu.sourceforge.net/docs/README/1.2/t1.html
for details.

Stas mentioned brctl -- that's advanced configuration; with the above all
you have is an internal (to the machine) network with the Linux box on
(say) 192.168.1.1 and the DOSEMU box on (say) 192.168.1.2.

Bridging comes in handy if you're talking to the outside world
http://edeca.net/articles/bridging/
says how this works in user mode linux (UML). DOSEMU works likewise.

> I assume I need to be loading some kind of dos network driver in freedos???

No.

Bart

* Re: dosemu multicast w/ dosghsrv (ghost)
@ 2004-01-08 12:51 Stas Sergeev
From: Stas Sergeev @ 2004-01-08 12:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-msdos

Hello.

Eric Becker wrote:
> If I do an lsmod I can see that tun is loaded.  I assume I need to be
No, you don't need to, as dosemu
has a built-in one.
However, you have to process the
standard sequence of configuring
your network interfaces.
To begin with, it seems you forgot
to even bring the tap0 up with
ifconfig.
After it is up, you have to connect
it with the outside world somehow.
You can set up bridging between tap0
and some other ethernet interface
for example, see "man brctl".
But this is not related to dosemu,
just a general things about networking.

* Re: dosemu multicast w/ dosghsrv (ghost)
@ 2004-01-08  4:40 Eric Becker
From: Eric Becker @ 2004-01-08  4:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jzygmont, Eric Becker; +Cc: linux-msdos

We are currently booting off of a dos client and pushing the images via
samba.  We have an HP Proliant server.  It has a single Xeon Processor
(2.8GHz I think), 1.5GB RAM, and scsi hardware raid 5.  It's running
Suse 8.2 all on a dedicated lan for imaging (no other clients).  We have
the server leasing out ip addresses and pushing out a dos client via PXE
and atftpd.  The server is only running atftp, dhcpd, samba, and sshd.
It is not running any other daemons (mail server, xwindows, nfs,
etc...).

Anyway, we're using this server strictly for imaging purposes.  We're
only imaging on average around 100 pc's a day right now, but that is
soon to change.  If I do more than 20 desktops at a time, the server
becomes painfully slow.  All those samba processes just hammer the
processor and hard drives.  Each image is roughly 2-5GB in size and when
the server is put under strain they will sometimes only transfer at
100-150MB/min.  A "ps aux" on the server can take up to a minute to
scroll on the console.  Also, the server will stop accepting all network
connections when heavily strained.  When not under heavy load, the
images will usually transfer around 350-500MB/min.

It looks like we need a multicast solution.  Although, I'm definately
open for suggestions.

>>> Justin Zygmont <jzygmont@solarflow.dyndns.org> 01/07/04 20:21 PM >>>
another way is to create a network boot disk and run it off the samba
share.

@ 2004-01-08  2:19 ` Justin Zygmont
From: Justin Zygmont @ 2004-01-08  2:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Becker; +Cc: linux-msdos