* [Printing-architecture] LGTM - FREE security scan for open source software
@ 2019-11-20 20:41 Ira McDonald
From: Ira McDonald @ 2019-11-20 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Till Kamppeter, Aveek Basu, Danny Brennan, Ira McDonald,
	printing-architecture

As Mike Sweet reported, during today's PWG Virtual F2F meeting, the PWG
ippsample tools now use automated security scanning of updates by LGTM.

Mike has been favorably impressed by the competence and professionalism
of the LGTM staff (e.g., when reporting false positives).

I suggest that this is worth integrating into the CUPS Filters and GSoC
projects development processes as well.

https://lgtm.com/

WDYT?

Cheers,
- Ira

Co-Chair - TCG Metadata Access Protocol SG
Blue Roof Music / High North Inc
mailto: blueroofmusic@gmail.com
PO Box 221  Grand Marais, MI 49839  906-494-2434

* Re: [Printing-architecture] LGTM - FREE security scan for open source software
@ 2019-11-22 22:32 ` Till Kamppeter
From: Till Kamppeter @ 2019-11-22 22:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ira McDonald, Aveek Basu, Danny Brennan, printing-architecture

On 20/11/2019 21:41, Ira McDonald wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As Mike Sweet reported, during today's PWG Virtual F2F meeting, the PWG
> ippsample tools now use automated security scanning of updates by LGTM.
>
> Mike has been favorably impressed by the competence and professionalism
> of the LGTM staff (e.g., when reporting false positives).
>
> I suggest that this is worth integrating into the CUPS Filters and GSoC
> projects development processes as well.
>
> https://lgtm.com/
>
> WDYT?

I have looked into it, too, and when doing investigations for the implementation
of driverless IPP scanning I saw it in PWG's ippsample.

Also, all the OpenPrinting projects are on GitHub now, so I think we should
start to use it.

Is it possible o create an organization account under lgtm, or organizations
within an account, like in GitHub, where users can be added and removed? This
way LGTM operation would not get hardwired to a single person.

    Till

* Re: [Printing-architecture] LGTM - FREE security scan for open source software
@ 2019-11-23 12:34   ` Ira McDonald
From: Ira McDonald @ 2019-11-23 12:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Till Kamppeter, Ira McDonald, Michael Sweet
  Cc: Aveek Basu, printing-architecture

Hi Till,

I think LGTM is supposed to be wired to projects (i.e., open source
repositories)
rather than individuals.  Mike may know more about this?

@ 2019-11-24 14:15   ` Michael Sweet
From: Michael Sweet @ 2019-11-24 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Till Kamppeter; +Cc: Aveek Basu, printing-architecture

Till,

> On Nov 22, 2019, at 5:32 PM, Till Kamppeter <till.kamppeter@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 20/11/2019 21:41, Ira McDonald wrote:
>> Hi,
>> As Mike Sweet reported, during today's PWG Virtual F2F meeting, the PWG
>> ippsample tools now use automated security scanning of updates by LGTM.
>> Mike has been favorably impressed by the competence and professionalism
>> of the LGTM staff (e.g., when reporting false positives).
>> I suggest that this is worth integrating into the CUPS Filters and GSoC
>> projects development processes as well.
>> https://lgtm.com/
>> WDYT?
>
> I have looked into it, too, and when doing investigations for the implementation of driverless IPP scanning I saw it in PWG's ippsample.
>
> Also, all the OpenPrinting projects are on GitHub now, so I think we should start to use it.
>
> Is it possible o create an organization account under lgtm, or organizations within an account, like in GitHub, where users can be added and removed? This way LGTM operation would not get hardwired to a single person.

I believe LGTM is integrated with Github organizations, so anyone in the organization can monitor the results, and any admin can setup the LGTM app hookup (so that all pull requests, etc. are scanned).

Michael Sweet