* Description of BBPATH in BB user manual seems ... wrong
@ 2021-03-15 13:05 Robert P. J. Day
From: Robert P. J. Day @ 2021-03-15 13:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

  Section 3.4.1 of BB manual:

https://docs.yoctoproject.org/bitbake/bitbake-user-manual/bitbake-user-manual-metadata.html#locating-include-and-class-files

"BitBake uses the BBPATH variable to locate needed include and class
files. Additionally, BitBake searches the current directory for
include and require directives.

... snip ..

"In order for include and class files to be found by BitBake, they
need to be located in a “classes” subdirectory that can be found in
BBPATH."

  first, is BBPATH not used for finding conf files as well? and the
wording of that second paragraph suggests that include files need to
be in a classes subdirectory to be found, which i'm pretty sure isn't
true.

  thoughts?

rday

* Re: [docs] Description of BBPATH in BB user manual seems ... wrong
@ 2021-03-15 13:10 ` Quentin Schulz
From: Quentin Schulz @ 2021-03-15 13:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Robert,

On Mon, Mar 15, 2021 at 09:05:53AM -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

>   Section 3.4.1 of BB manual:
>
> https://docs.yoctoproject.org/bitbake/bitbake-user-manual/bitbake-user-manual-metadata.html#locating-include-and-class-files
>
> "BitBake uses the BBPATH variable to locate needed include and class
> files. Additionally, BitBake searches the current directory for
> include and require directives.
>
> ... snip ..
>
> "In order for include and class files to be found by BitBake, they
> need to be located in a “classes” subdirectory that can be found in
> BBPATH."
>
>   first, is BBPATH not used for finding conf files as well? and the

Yes it is.

> wording of that second paragraph suggests that include files need to
> be in a classes subdirectory to be found, which i'm pretty sure isn't
> true.

I think what was meant by "include" files are conf files.... which
(probably) technically are include files to Yocto PoV.

Not entirely sure but I think Yocto includes all appropriate conf files
to create the "base" "environment" of all recipes.

basically, stuff on top of bitbake.conf and what is the environment
being reset to between tasks/recipes.

Those are guesses though.

Quentin

* Re: [docs] Description of BBPATH in BB user manual seems ... wrong
@ 2021-03-15 20:19   ` Robert P. J. Day
From: Robert P. J. Day @ 2021-03-15 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 15 Mar 2021, Quentin Schulz wrote:

> Hi Robert,
>
> On Mon, Mar 15, 2021 at 09:05:53AM -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> >
> >   Section 3.4.1 of BB manual:
> >
> > https://docs.yoctoproject.org/bitbake/bitbake-user-manual/bitbake-user-manual-metadata.html#locating-include-and-class-files
> >
> > "BitBake uses the BBPATH variable to locate needed include and class
> > files. Additionally, BitBake searches the current directory for
> > include and require directives.
> >
> > ... snip ..
> >
> > "In order for include and class files to be found by BitBake, they
> > need to be located in a “classes” subdirectory that can be found in
> > BBPATH."
> >
> >   first, is BBPATH not used for finding conf files as well? and the
>
> Yes it is.
>
> > wording of that second paragraph suggests that include files need to
> > be in a classes subdirectory to be found, which i'm pretty sure isn't
> > true.
> >

> I think what was meant by "include" files are conf files.... which
> (probably) technically are include files to Yocto PoV.
>
> Not entirely sure but I think Yocto includes all appropriate conf files
> to create the "base" "environment" of all recipes.
>
> basically, stuff on top of bitbake.conf and what is the environment
> being reset to between tasks/recipes.
>
> Those are guesses though.

  well, i think that wording in the BB user manual is at least a
little misleading, but if others think it's sufficiently clear, i'll
shut up about it.

@ 2021-03-16  9:01     ` Quentin Schulz
From: Quentin Schulz @ 2021-03-16  9:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Mar 15, 2021 at 04:19:02PM -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Mar 2021, Quentin Schulz wrote:
>
> > Hi Robert,
> >
> > On Mon, Mar 15, 2021 at 09:05:53AM -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> > >
> > >   Section 3.4.1 of BB manual:
> > >
> > > https://docs.yoctoproject.org/bitbake/bitbake-user-manual/bitbake-user-manual-metadata.html#locating-include-and-class-files
> > >
> > > "BitBake uses the BBPATH variable to locate needed include and class
> > > files. Additionally, BitBake searches the current directory for
> > > include and require directives.
> > >
> > > ... snip ..
> > >
> > > "In order for include and class files to be found by BitBake, they
> > > need to be located in a “classes” subdirectory that can be found in
> > > BBPATH."
> > >
> > >   first, is BBPATH not used for finding conf files as well? and the
> >
> > Yes it is.
> >
> > > wording of that second paragraph suggests that include files need to
> > > be in a classes subdirectory to be found, which i'm pretty sure isn't
> > > true.
> > >

> > I think what was meant by "include" files are conf files.... which
> > (probably) technically are include files to Yocto PoV.
> >
> > Not entirely sure but I think Yocto includes all appropriate conf files
> > to create the "base" "environment" of all recipes.
> >
> > basically, stuff on top of bitbake.conf and what is the environment
> > being reset to between tasks/recipes.
> >
> > Those are guesses though.
>
>   well, i think that wording in the BB user manual is at least a
> little misleading, but if others think it's sufficiently clear, i'll
> shut up about it.

I agree with you. Don't know how to reword though.

Something like what's in YP docs for example:
https://docs.yoctoproject.org/ref-manual/variables.html#term-BBPATH

Where include files are replaced by configuration files. I guess we
could explicit BBPATH represents the parent directory of classes/ and
conf/ directories where bbclasses and configuration files such as
machine, distro, layer configuration files are.

My 2¢ on this :)

Quentin

* Re: [docs] Description of BBPATH in BB user manual seems ... wrong
@ 2021-03-16  9:58       ` Robert P. J. Day
From: Robert P. J. Day @ 2021-03-16  9:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 16 Mar 2021, Quentin Schulz wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 15, 2021 at 04:19:02PM -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> > On Mon, 15 Mar 2021, Quentin Schulz wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Robert,

> > > Yes it is.

> > > I think what was meant by "include" files are conf files.... which
> > > (probably) technically are include files to Yocto PoV.
> > >
> > > Not entirely sure but I think Yocto includes all appropriate conf files
> > > to create the "base" "environment" of all recipes.
> > >
> > > basically, stuff on top of bitbake.conf and what is the environment
> > > being reset to between tasks/recipes.
> > >
> > > Those are guesses though.
> >
> >   well, i think that wording in the BB user manual is at least a
> > little misleading, but if others think it's sufficiently clear, i'll
> > shut up about it.
> >

> I agree with you. Don't know how to reword though.
>
> Something like what's in YP docs for example:
> https://docs.yoctoproject.org/ref-manual/variables.html#term-BBPATH
>
> Where include files are replaced by configuration files. I guess we
> could explicit BBPATH represents the parent directory of classes/
> and conf/ directories where bbclasses and configuration files such
> as machine, distro, layer configuration files are.
>
> My 2¢ on this :)

  i'll give it some thought. in my experience, ambiguity like this is
generally the result of not having laid the groundwork properly. after
i went back and reviewed the early stuff, i've concluded that section
1.3, "Concepts":

https://docs.yoctoproject.org/bitbake/bitbake-user-manual/bitbake-user-manual-intro.html#concepts

could be reworded. really, that entire section could be rewritten as
"Files", or at least there should be a section entitled "Files" that
describes (with actual examples) the various file types and their
relationships before going any further.

  anyway, i will ponder ...

@ 2021-03-17  9:19   ` Robert P. J. Day
From: Robert P. J. Day @ 2021-03-17  9:19 UTC (permalink / raw)