* Booting XenoLinux with LOADLIN
@ 2005-01-06 16:43 Kero-Chan
From: Kero-Chan @ 2005-01-06 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel

Hi!

Is booting a Linux kernel compiled for the Xen ARCH possible with
LOADLIN from DOS?
The docs say I need GRUB; and I'm only asking because, for a
mysterious reason, LILO, GRUB, and the NetBSD bootloader just don't
see my hard disk and cannot boot it. However, the FreeBSD, DOS,
Windows NT, QNX and Plan9 bootloaders work fine, even if the partition
I boot from is over the 1024th cylinder, etc. So I guess my best bet I
to try to load a XenoLinux from DOS with LOADLIN...

And why the GRUB requirement?
Anyway, thanks :)

--
/Varga Péter/

* Re: Booting XenoLinux with LOADLIN
@ 2005-01-06 21:54 ` Ian Pratt
From: Ian Pratt @ 2005-01-06 21:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kero-Chan; +Cc: xen-devel, Ian.Pratt

> Is booting a Linux kernel compiled for the Xen ARCH possible with
> LOADLIN from DOS?

Possibly, though not totally straightforwardly.

Xen expects to be loaded by a "multiboot" standard compliant boot
loader, of which the only common one is Grub. It relies on
multiboot's module feature to enable a domain 0 kernel image (and
potentially an initrd) to be loaded into memory by the boot loader.

You'll need to use Tim Deegan's "mbootpack" which takes a xen
image and linux kernel and packages them up into something that
looks like a single bzImage:
 http://www.tjd.phlegethon.org/software/

Please let us know how you get on.

Ian

> The docs say I need GRUB; and I'm only asking because, for a
> mysterious reason, LILO, GRUB, and the NetBSD bootloader just don't
> see my hard disk and cannot boot it. However, the FreeBSD, DOS,
> Windows NT, QNX and Plan9 bootloaders work fine, even if the partition
> I boot from is over the 1024th cylinder, etc. So I guess my best bet I
> to try to load a XenoLinux from DOS with LOADLIN...
>
> And why the GRUB requirement?
> Anyway, thanks :)
>
> --
> /Varga Péter/

\x1f -=- MIME -=- \x1f\f

Hi!

Is booting a Linux kernel compiled for the Xen ARCH possible with
LOADLIN from DOS?
The docs say I need GRUB; and I'm only asking because, for a
mysterious reason, LILO, GRUB, and the NetBSD bootloader just don't
see my hard disk and cannot boot it. However, the FreeBSD, DOS,
Windows NT, QNX and Plan9 bootloaders work fine, even if the partition
I boot from is over the 1024th cylinder, etc. So I guess my best bet I
to try to load a XenoLinux from DOS with LOADLIN...

And why the GRUB requirement?
Anyway, thanks :)

--=20
/Varga P=E9ter/

* Re: Booting XenoLinux with LOADLIN
@ 2005-01-07 16:43   ` Kero-Chan
From: Kero-Chan @ 2005-01-07 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Pratt; +Cc: xen-devel

On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 21:54:24 +0000, Ian Pratt <Ian.Pratt@cl.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
> You'll need to use Tim Deegan's "mbootpack" which takes a xen
> image and linux kernel and packages them up into something that
> looks like a single bzImage:
>  http://www.tjd.phlegethon.org/software/
>
> Please let us know how you get on.
>
> Ian

Well, thanks for the advice.
I didn't have luck. I used theese steps:

# gunzip ./xen.gz
# mbootpack -c 'dom0_mem=131072 noreboot' -m './vmlinuz-xen0
root=/dev/hda3 ro'  ./xen
This created the bzImage, no errors. Copied it to C:, and then from DOS:
C:\> loadlin bzImage

This loads something and then reboots very fast. With 'noreboot' too.
Next thing to try is a GRUB floppy :)

--

@ 2005-01-06 22:03   ` Adam Sulmicki
From: Adam Sulmicki @ 2005-01-06 22:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arun Sharma; +Cc: Kero-Chan, xen-devel

>> Hi!
>>
>> Is booting a Linux kernel compiled for the Xen ARCH possible with
>> LOADLIN from DOS?
>
> You probably want to ask if it's possible to boot Xen using a different
> bootloader and then have a copy of xenolinux running on top of it.
>
> Xenolinux can not run on bare hardware.

you could try 'mbootpack'. it rools multiboot stuff of xen into one
package.

 	http://www.tjd.phlegethon.org/software/

as to will it work with loadlin? dunno.

* Re: Booting XenoLinux with LOADLIN
       [not found] <mailman.1105030045.8866@unix-os.sc.intel.com>
@ 2005-01-06 21:31 ` Arun Sharma
From: Arun Sharma @ 2005-01-06 21:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kero-Chan; +Cc: xen-devel

On 1/6/2005 8:43 AM, Kero-Chan wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Is booting a Linux kernel compiled for the Xen ARCH possible with
> LOADLIN from DOS?

You probably want to ask if it's possible to boot Xen using a different bootloader and then have a copy of xenolinux running on top of it.

Xenolinux can not run on bare hardware.

	-Arun