* [MPTCP] Fwd: Re: Few questions about submitting patches
@ 2018-03-21 17:01 Rao Shoaib
From: Rao Shoaib @ 2018-03-21 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mptcp

There has been some misunderstanding on what an RFC patch is and what
standards it needs to meet. Following is the official response of David
Miller.

Based on those guidelines the RFC patch we submitted meets and exceeds
the requirements. So please review it. Replacement of function pointers
will be addressed later as a separate issue.

In case there are other procedural issues that would prohibit technical
discussion please site the written rules or first ask David Miller.

There are a lot of technical issues to discuss, so if possible lets not
get tied up on process and bureaucracy. Looking forward to detailed
technical comments.

Shoaib

From: Rao Shoaib <rao.shoaib(a)oracle.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2018 09:41:13 -0700

> I am new to Linux. I would like to understand the rules and etiquettes
> of engaging with the community. I have read the materials that I could
> find. As I work with Linux I come across situations for which I can
> not seem to find any answers. Hopefully folks on the list can answer
> them.
>
> * Submitting an RFC Patch
>
> As I understand, an RFC patch is submitted to solicit comments and is
> not for inclusion. Is it sufficient for an RFC patch to have the
> correct coding style and compile, or does it need more? For example,
> If the patch consists of a series of patches, does each patch have to
> compile independently etc etc.

It should build and function, unless you explicitly state that the
patch is not build nor functionally tested and is intended to show
the design of the change.

> * #ifdef FOO
>
> In a regular patch consisting of a series of patches, can the above
> #ifdef be used in a patch before the patch that allows the selection
> of FOO. That patch is part of the series but comes later.

It is better to introduce them at the same time.

But if it is prohibitively difficult to do so, yet at the same
time properly split up your changes into manageable pieces, it
can be OK.

It is definitely determined on a case by case basis.

[-- Attachment #2: attachment.html --]
[-- Type: text/html, Size: 3837 bytes --]

* Re: [MPTCP] Fwd: Re: Few questions about submitting patches
@ 2018-03-27  2:06 Rao Shoaib
From: Rao Shoaib @ 2018-03-27  2:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mptcp

On 03/26/2018 06:27 PM, Mat Martineau wrote:

> Hi Rao -
>
> On Wed, 21 Mar 2018, Rao Shoaib wrote:
>

>> There has been some misunderstanding on what an RFC patch is and what
>> standards it needs to meet. Following is the official response of David
>> Miller.
>>
>> Based on those guidelines the RFC patch we submitted meets and
>> exceeds the requirements. So please review it. Replacement of
>> function pointers
>> will be addressed later as a separate issue.
>
> Given what David has said, I still think it's better to structure the
> patch set according to the guidelines I pointed to before. Required?
> No, but I think it's worth the effort. You might not agree, and that's
> ok.
>
> I know at least one other community member is taking a look at the
> first version of your patches. You mentioned that you are reworking
> your changes to invoke MPTCP functions using macros instead of
> indirect calls, so my personal plan is to take a closer look after you
> post v2.
I am not planning to submit version 2. Dealing with function pointers is
a separate and straight forward issue so please review the current patch
as it is.

Thanks,

Shoaib

@ 2018-03-27  1:27 Mat Martineau