* [U-Boot] u-boot-fw-utils issue
@ 2019-01-09  8:14 Hardik Padhariya
From: Hardik Padhariya @ 2019-01-09  8:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hello,

We are trying to access uboot variables from our application running over
Linux.

We are using Yocto krogoth 2.1.1 for imx6ul evaluation kit
"mx6ul_14x14_evk".

We have built u-boot-fw-utils by adding "CORE_IMAGE_EXTRA_INSTALL +=
"u-boot-fw-utils" in the local.conf file.

Issues:

1. We are unable to update the existing uboot delay from the user space. We
have tried updating it but it is not reflected once we reboot the device.

2. We are unable to add the new variables in uboot. When we execute
"fw_setenv board_name evalkit" then we can see it using fw_printenv but
after rebooting the device when we check the boot variables using the
command "printenv" (uboot command interface) then the variable is not shown.

3. We also tried adding the variable through CONFIG_EXTRA_ENV_SETTINGS in
mx6ul_14x14_evk.h  at ./tmp/work/../../include/configs/ but it is also not
shown when we use fw_printenv command.

We get warning " Bad CRC, using default environment" if we try to set any
variable using fw_setenv.

It would be really helpful if you can help us on this.

Regards,

Hardik

* [U-Boot] u-boot-fw-utils issue
@ 2019-01-17 13:28 ` Heiko Schocher
From: Heiko Schocher @ 2019-01-17 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hello Hardik Padhariya,

Am 09.01.2019 um 09:14 schrieb Hardik Padhariya:
> Hello,
>

> We are trying to access uboot variables from our application running over
> Linux.
>

> We are using Yocto krogoth 2.1.1 for imx6ul evaluation kit
> "mx6ul_14x14_evk".
>
> We have built u-boot-fw-utils by adding "CORE_IMAGE_EXTRA_INSTALL +=
> "u-boot-fw-utils" in the local.conf file.
>

> Issues:
>
> 1. We are unable to update the existing uboot delay from the user space. We
> have tried updating it but it is not reflected once we reboot the device.
>
> 2. We are unable to add the new variables in uboot. When we execute
> "fw_setenv board_name evalkit" then we can see it using fw_printenv but
> after rebooting the device when we check the boot variables using the
> command "printenv" (uboot command interface) then the variable is not shown.
>
> 3. We also tried adding the variable through CONFIG_EXTRA_ENV_SETTINGS in
> mx6ul_14x14_evk.h  at ./tmp/work/../../include/configs/ but it is also not
> shown when we use fw_printenv command.
>

> We get warning " Bad CRC, using default environment" if we try to set any
> variable using fw_setenv.

This means, that your fw_printenv util does not find the U-Boot
environment on your env storage device.

Yoiu have to add a "/etc/fw_env.config" file, which fit with your
device. See for some examples:

http://git.denx.de/?p=u-boot.git;a=blob;f=tools/env/fw_env.config;h=053895a2c07b23891e098c2370066204f04b8ea1;hb=aac0c29d4b8418c5c78b552070ffeda022b16949

I do not know the exact values for "mx6ul_14x14_evk" ...

bye,
Heiko
Phone: +49-8142-66989-52   Fax: +49-8142-66989-80   Email: hs at denx.de