* gdb/gdbserver TQM885
@ 2007-02-17 19:56 oparz
From: oparz @ 2007-02-17 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linuxppc-embedded

Hello,
I have a problem on debugging my target board TQM885 (ELDK, Linux
2.4.25) with gdb/gdbserver . My Testprogram is a simple helloworld. The
program itself is running as expected, but its not possible to debug.
Would be very  glad, if anyone can help me. Target and Host are in
different subnets, but this is solved via route add.. command
___________________
Host running gdb:
oparz@linux:~/autoconf_tests/hello_GNU-0.1> gdb ./hello_GNU
GNU gdb 6.3
conditions.
This GDB was configured as "i586-suse-linux"...Using host libthread_db
library "/lib/tls/libthread_db.so.1".

(gdb) target remote 192.168.10.232:5000
Remote debugging using 192.168.10.232:5000
Couldn't establish connection to remote target
Remote sent bad register number 40: 3000ef14;
Packet: 'T0501:7ffffed0;40:3000ef14;'

(gdb)
__________________________
and the target running gdbserver:

root@/># gdbserver 192.168.2.21:5000 ./hello_GNU
Process ./hello_GNU created; pid = 56
Remote debugging from host 192.168.2.21
readchar: Got EOF
Remote side has terminated connection.  GDBserver will reopen the
connection.
__________________
Any help is very appreciated

Dr. Otto Parzhuber
Munich University of Applied Sciences
Fac. of Precision Engineering

* Re: gdb/gdbserver TQM885
@ 2007-02-17 22:12 ` Wolfgang Denk
From: Wolfgang Denk @ 2007-02-17 22:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: oparz; +Cc: linuxppc-embedded

In message <3efc373ef4e6.3ef4e63efc37@compuserve.de> you wrote:

> I have a problem on debugging my target board TQM885 (ELDK, Linux
> 2.4.25) with gdb/gdbserver . My Testprogram is a simple helloworld. The
> program itself is running as expected, but its not possible to debug.
> Host running gdb:
> oparz@linux:~/autoconf_tests/hello_GNU-0.1> gdb ./hello_GNU
> GNU gdb 6.3

That's wrong. You cannot use a native x86 GDB to debug a PowerPC
system.

> Remote sent bad register number 40: 3000ef14;
> Packet: 'T0501:7ffffed0;40:3000ef14;'

Here it's telling you that it has problems to understand the other
architecture.

> Any help is very appreciated

Use the ppc_8xx-gdb that comes with the ELDK instead. And make sure to
read the DULG, especially the hints about setting
solib-absolute-prefix

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd@denx.de
There's no sense in being precise  when  you  don't  even  know  what
you're talking about.                             -- John von Neumann

* gdb/gdbserver TQM885
@ 2007-02-18  8:32 oparz
From: oparz @ 2007-02-18  8:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linuxppc-embedded

Hello
many thanks for this immediate answer! The problem is solved.

Its always better to read the manual before asking.