* Vulnerability embargo dates - add your public holidays
@ 2017-05-10 13:38 Ian Jackson
From: Ian Jackson @ 2017-05-10 13:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-announce, xen-devel, xen-users; +Cc: security-team-members

When the Xen Project Security Team talks to discoverers about choice
of release dates for security vulnerabilities, we generally try to
avoid known public holidays (subject to other constraints such as the
discoverer's requirements, the Xen Project policy, and so on).

We wish to make this arrangement a bit more formal, and in particular
to provide discoverers (who ultimately decide disclosure dates) and
the Security Team (who often give advice) with good information to
support their decisions.

To this end we have created a wiki page where interested community
members can document public holidays which would affect their ability
to respond to security issues.

Please see:
  https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/HolidayCalendar

If you would like your circumstances taken into account, please add to
the data for 2017 on that page.

Note that if you do not already have write access to the wiki, you'll
have to request it.  Sorry for the inconvenience, and please see:
  https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Main_Page

Also, as the HolidayCalendar wiki page says:

  Note that disclosure schedules are determined by the discoverers of
  vulnerabilities who do not need to follow the guidelines in the Xen
  Project policy.  Where discoverers ask the Xen Project Security Team
  for advice, or choose to follow the policy, the holiday information
  here is advisory only.  Because the policy requires us to consider
  other factors too, we cannot guarantee to avoid holidays.

Ian.

* Re: Vulnerability embargo dates - add your public holidays
@ 2017-05-10 13:51 ` Juergen Gross
From: Juergen Gross @ 2017-05-10 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Jackson, xen-announce, xen-devel, xen-users; +Cc: security-team-members

On 10/05/17 15:38, Ian Jackson wrote:
> When the Xen Project Security Team talks to discoverers about choice
> of release dates for security vulnerabilities, we generally try to
> avoid known public holidays (subject to other constraints such as the
> discoverer's requirements, the Xen Project policy, and so on).
>
> We wish to make this arrangement a bit more formal, and in particular
> to provide discoverers (who ultimately decide disclosure dates) and
> the Security Team (who often give advice) with good information to
> support their decisions.
>
> To this end we have created a wiki page where interested community
> members can document public holidays which would affect their ability
> to respond to security issues.
>
> Please see:
>   https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/HolidayCalendar

Are you planning to add a link to this page somewhere in the wiki?

Juergen

* Re: Vulnerability embargo dates - add your public holidays
@ 2017-05-10 14:07   ` Ian Jackson
From: Ian Jackson @ 2017-05-10 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juergen Gross; +Cc: xen-devel, security-team-members, xen-users

(dropping announce)

Juergen Gross writes ("Re: [Xen-devel] Vulnerability embargo dates - add your public holidays"):
> On 10/05/17 15:38, Ian Jackson wrote:
> > Please see:
> >   https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/HolidayCalendar
>
> Are you planning to add a link to this page somewhere in the wiki?

I haven't done so.  I guess it would be a good idea.  Please go ahead
and do so :-).

@ 2017-05-10 14:31     ` Juergen Gross
From: Juergen Gross @ 2017-05-10 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Jackson; +Cc: xen-devel, security-team-members, xen-users

On 10/05/17 16:07, Ian Jackson wrote:
> (dropping announce)
>
> Juergen Gross writes ("Re: [Xen-devel] Vulnerability embargo dates - add your public holidays"):
>> On 10/05/17 15:38, Ian Jackson wrote:
>>> Please see:
>>>   https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/HolidayCalendar
>>
>> Are you planning to add a link to this page somewhere in the wiki?
>
> I haven't done so.  I guess it would be a good idea.  Please go ahead
> and do so :-).

Okay. But where?

I guess the most logical place would be the "Xen security problem
response process" definition, which I obviously can't change.

Another place would be:

https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Security_Announcements_(Historical)

Any other ideas?

Juergen

* Re: Vulnerability embargo dates - add your public holidays
@ 2017-05-10 14:37       ` Lars Kurth
From: Lars Kurth @ 2017-05-10 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juergen Gross; +Cc: xen-devel, security-team-members, Ian Jackson, xen-users

> On 10 May 2017, at 15:31, Juergen Gross <jgross@suse.com> wrote:
>
> On 10/05/17 16:07, Ian Jackson wrote:
>> (dropping announce)
>>
>> Juergen Gross writes ("Re: [Xen-devel] Vulnerability embargo dates - add your public holidays"):
>>>
>>> Are you planning to add a link to this page somewhere in the wiki?
>>
>> I haven't done so.  I guess it would be a good idea.  Please go ahead
>> and do so :-).
>
> Okay. But where?
>
> I guess the most logical place would be the "Xen security problem
> response process" definition, which I obviously can't change.
>
> Another place would be:
>
> https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Security_Announcements_(Historical)
>
> Any other ideas?

I can put a widget on the security response page on xenproject.org (there is already one, linking to PGP keys, etc.)

Lars

* Re: Vulnerability embargo dates - add your public holidays
@ 2017-05-10 14:59         ` Lars Kurth
From: Lars Kurth @ 2017-05-10 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juergen Gross; +Cc: xen-devel, security-team-members, Ian Jackson, xen-users

> On 10 May 2017, at 15:37, Lars Kurth <lars.kurth.xen@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On 10 May 2017, at 15:31, Juergen Gross <jgross@suse.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 10/05/17 16:07, Ian Jackson wrote:
>>> (dropping announce)

>>> I haven't done so.  I guess it would be a good idea.  Please go ahead
>>> and do so :-).
>>
>> Okay. But where?
>>
>> I guess the most logical place would be the "Xen security problem
>> response process" definition, which I obviously can't change.
>>
>> Another place would be:
>>
>> https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Security_Announcements_(Historical)
>>
>> Any other ideas?
>
> I can put a widget on the security response page on xenproject.org (there is already one, linking to PGP keys, etc.)

I added "SECURITY POLICY RELATED DOCUMENTS" (top right) to https://xenproject.org/security-policy.html

Let me know if that works

Lars

* Re: Vulnerability embargo dates - add your public holidays
@ 2017-05-10 15:56           ` Juergen Gross
From: Juergen Gross @ 2017-05-10 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Kurth; +Cc: xen-devel, security-team-members, Ian Jackson, xen-users

On 10/05/17 16:59, Lars Kurth wrote:

>> On 10 May 2017, at 15:37, Lars Kurth <lars.kurth.xen@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Okay. But where?
>>>
>>> I guess the most logical place would be the "Xen security problem
>>> response process" definition, which I obviously can't change.
>>>
>>> Another place would be:
>>>
>>> https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Security_Announcements_(Historical)
>>>
>>> Any other ideas?
>>
>> I can put a widget on the security response page on xenproject.org (there is already one, linking to PGP keys, etc.)
>
> I added "SECURITY POLICY RELATED DOCUMENTS" (top right) to https://xenproject.org/security-policy.html
>
> Let me know if that works

It does. :-)

Thanks,