* meta-intel stuck on bootup #yocto
@ 2019-12-11 13:16 eph_pendragon
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: eph_pendragon @ 2019-12-11 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

Hi everyone,
So I am relatively new to the project and I have successfully been a able to make a few builds following the really well crafted documentation.

I however have a few issues regarding my target system, an IPC (Simatic Nanobox) with a quad-core Intel celeron processor. Since there's no Bsp that I am aware of, building an image with "genericx86-64" everything boots up alright but I am unable to reboot or shutdown the target system successfully.

I later on added the "meta-intel" layer but up to no avail. The image gets stuck indefinitely on boot-up at: "listing ALSA devices ...".

1. Since I am not really interested in sound for my project, could someone point me to how to remove, fix or skip this step in the boot process altogether?

2. Also, what configuration should I make to my kernel or Bsp layer in order to achieve a successful reboot and shutdown on my target machine when using the bare yocto core-image-minimal?

Thanks.

* Re: [yocto] meta-intel stuck on bootup #yocto
@ 2019-12-11 15:10 ` Dimitris Tassopoulos
From: Dimitris Tassopoulos @ 2019-12-11 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: eph_pendragon; +Cc: yocto

Hi, I don't is alsa is your actual issue, even if the kernel seems that
it's stuck there,
but in any case you can remove the alsa from your distro. I guess you're
using poky
as base distro, so add this line to your tmp/conf/local.conf file.

DISTRO_FEATURES_remove = "alsa"

then rebuild.

Regards.

On Wed, Dec 11, 2019 at 2:16 PM eph_pendragon <leocorp96@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
> So I am relatively new to the project and I have successfully been a able
> to make a few builds following the really well crafted documentation.
>
> I however have a few issues regarding my target system, an IPC (Simatic
> Nanobox) with a quad-core Intel celeron processor. Since there's no Bsp
> that I am aware of, building an image with "genericx86-64" everything boots
> up alright but I am unable to reboot or shutdown the target system
> successfully.
>
> I later on added the "meta-intel" layer but up to no avail. The image gets
> stuck indefinitely on boot-up at: "listing ALSA devices ...".
>
> 1. Since I am not really interested in sound for my project, could someone
> point me to how to remove, fix or skip this step in the boot process
> altogether?
>
> 2. Also, what configuration should I make to my kernel or Bsp layer in
> order to achieve a successful reboot and shutdown on my target machine when
> using the bare yocto core-image-minimal?
>
> Thanks. -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
>
> View/Reply Online (#47631):
> https://lists.yoctoproject.org/g/yocto/message/47631
> Mute This Topic: https://lists.yoctoproject.org/mt/68149279/3958120
> Mute #yocto: https://lists.yoctoproject.org/mk?hashtag=yocto&subid=7196821
> Group Owner: yocto+owner@lists.yoctoproject.org
> dimtass@gmail.com]
> -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

* Re: meta-intel stuck on bootup #yocto
@ 2019-12-12 11:13 ` Dan O'Donovan
From: Dan O'Donovan @ 2019-12-12 11:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

If you are using the meta-intel layer, you could also change your MACHINE to 'intel-corei7-64' instead of 'genericx86-64'.  I'm not sure if it will fix your specific issue but it will at least allow you to benefit from some of the additional features and patches and other tweaks that the meta-intel layer provides.

* Re: meta-intel stuck on bootup #yocto
@ 2019-12-17 12:13 ` eph_pendragon
From: eph_pendragon @ 2019-12-17 12:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

Unfortunately, none of the solutions seem to work for me.
I tried the same image with a different intel PC and it runs fine. But still gets stuck when running on the Nanobox.

* Re: meta-intel stuck on bootup #yocto
@ 2019-12-18  7:42   ` eph_pendragon
From: eph_pendragon @ 2019-12-18  7:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto