* 4.0 stable ?
@ 2004-01-12  7:56 Thomas Graham
From: Thomas Graham @ 2004-01-12  7:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: reiserfs-list

when does it stable anyway ?!

--
HK Celtic Orchestra leader and coordanator: Thomas Graham Lau
Phone number: 852-93239670    (24hours a day, 7days a week non-stop phone)
Web site: http://sml.dyndns.org
Email: lkthomas@sml.dyndns.org

* Re: 4.0 stable ?
@ 2004-01-12  9:16 ` Nikita Danilov
From: Nikita Danilov @ 2004-01-12  9:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Graham; +Cc: reiserfs-list

Thomas Graham writes:
 > when does it stable anyway ?!

It depends on your definition of stable. It is stable for ordinary use,
and as far as I know people are using it for home directories for some
time already. It is still possible to crash it under stress test if one
is inventive enough and has enough time to waste.

Nikita.

* Re: 4.0 stable ?
@ 2004-01-12  9:50   ` Redeeman
From: Redeeman @ 2004-01-12  9:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 2004-01-12 at 10:16, Nikita Danilov wrote:
> Thomas Graham writes:
>  > when does it stable anyway ?!
>  >

> It depends on your definition of stable. It is stable for ordinary use,
> and as far as I know people are using it for home directories for some
> time already. It is still possible to crash it under stress test if one
> is inventive enough and has enough time to waste.

my definition of stable is when namesys.com doesent say "reiser4 final
testing, and will ship soon!" :)
you know, when its marked stable :)

do you have a small idea of when? i have a 300gb hd waiting for
partitioning just because i want reiser4 ;)

--
Regards, Redeeman

* Re: 4.0 stable ?
@ 2004-01-12 10:07   ` Viktors Rotanovs
       [not found]     ` <1068.192.168.0.97.1073921580.squirrel@sml.dyndns.org>
From: Viktors Rotanovs @ 2004-01-12 10:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: reiserfs-list

Nikita Danilov wrote:

>Thomas Graham writes:
> > when does it stable anyway ?!
>
>It depends on your definition of stable. It is stable for ordinary use,
>and as far as I know people are using it for home directories for some
>time already. It is still possible to crash it under stress test if one
>is inventive enough and has enough time to waste.

How many bugs were fixed since the last snapshot?
Isn't it time for a new snapshot for 2.6.1 (or 2.6.1-mm)?
I use Reiser4 as for everything on my desktop PC for several months,
without any problems.
(currently 2.6.0 test11, Gentoo linux).
What's the status of compression support?

>Nikita.

* Re: 4.0 stable ?
       [not found]     ` <1068.192.168.0.97.1073921580.squirrel@sml.dyndns.org>
@ 2004-01-12 16:12       ` Viktors Rotanovs
From: Viktors Rotanovs @ 2004-01-12 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: reiserfs-list

Thomas Graham wrote:

 >are you fuly using reiser4 now (using it as root partition ? ) ? gentoo
 >default not supported reiser4, is it stable enought ?

I use it as root, but not as boot. I installed gentoo on reiserfs (v.
3.6), then compiled new kernel with reiser4 support in it, rebooted,
created reiser4 partition, copied everything there and added entry for
it in grub.conf (with corresponding root= flag). One more reboot and
things are twice as fast (at least copying /usr/src with kernel sources
is 2x faster on reiser4 than on reiserfs).
I never had a problem with reiser4 except test7 kernel where there were
slight interactivity problems when copying large sets of files.

 >>Nikita Danilov wrote:

 >>>It depends on your definition of stable. It is stable for ordinary use,
 >>>and as far as I know people are using it for home directories for some
 >>>time already. It is still possible to crash it under stress test if one
 >>>is inventive enough and has enough time to waste.
 >>>

 >>How many bugs were fixed since the last snapshot?
 >>Isn't it time for a new snapshot for 2.6.1 (or 2.6.1-mm)?
 >>I use Reiser4 as for everything on my desktop PC for several months,
 >>without any problems.
 >>(currently 2.6.0 test11, Gentoo linux).
 >>What's the status of compression support?
 >>
 >>>Nikita.

Best Wishes,
Viktors