* X not starting at all
@ 2004-01-12 16:46 joy
       [not found] ` <1073932422.18113.5.camel@mattlinux>
From: joy @ 2004-01-12 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,
it's me again.
Thanks again for the help you guys gave me when I had a problem with my
modules.
from when I had installed Woody, I was not able to startx as I have a
Geforce4 MX 440 SE which was not supported by the nv driver in X (I have
version 4.1.0.1)
I got a new driver from the Nvidia site (the latest is pkg2 I think, I
have pkg0 ).I installed it and yet startx would not work.
since X loads its drivers from /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers , I moved
the new NV module (nvidia.ko ) and renamed it nv_drv.o which was the nv
driver  (this is illogical, I know , but I was desperate.....)
and it gave me another error message module does not have nvModuledata
data object and died on me. I just got Gnome 2.4 and I'm desperate to
install it.
So anybody with the ideas flashing,
HELP!
thanx in advance,
Joy

* Re: X not starting at all
       [not found] ` <1073932422.18113.5.camel@mattlinux>
@ 2004-01-14 11:30   ` joy
From: joy @ 2004-01-14 11:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Matthew Frederico wrote:

>>From the looks of it you are using a 2.6 kernel...  You have to have
>patched NVIDIA drivers to make this work.  You will probably get better
>support at http://www.nvnews.net, but IIRC, installing these drivers
>will get you working.  (It did for me)
>
>Here is the link to the 2.6 patched NVIDIA drivers:
>http://www.minion.de/
>
>Hope that helps!
>
>-- Matthew Frederico

I did that, and all I got was the same error: X was trying to load the
same nv driver even though the compilation process sucessfully
installedf the nvidia.ko driver.
How do I work around this?

>On Mon, 2004-01-12 at 09:46, joy wrote:
>

>>Hello,
>>it's me again.
>>Thanks again for the help you guys gave me when I had a problem with my
>>modules.
>>from when I had installed Woody, I was not able to startx as I have a
>>Geforce4 MX 440 SE which was not supported by the nv driver in X (I have
>>version 4.1.0.1)
>>

>>I got a new driver from the Nvidia site (the latest is pkg2 I think, I
>>have pkg0 ).I installed it and yet startx would not work.
>>since X loads its drivers from /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers , I moved
>>the new NV module (nvidia.ko ) and renamed it nv_drv.o which was the nv
>>driver  (this is illogical, I know , but I was desperate.....)
>>and it gave me another error message module does not have nvModuledata
>>data object and died on me. I just got Gnome 2.4 and I'm desperate to
>>install it.
>>So anybody with the ideas flashing,
>>HELP!
>>thanx in advance,
>>Joy

>>the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org
>>More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
>>Please read the FAQ at http://www.linux-learn.org/faqs

-

* Re: X not starting at all
@ 2004-01-16  6:09 beolach
From: beolach @ 2004-01-16  6:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gracecott; +Cc: linux-newbie

Here are the steps I used to setup X on my computer with a nVidia GeForce4 Ti4200.  You should be able to do exactly the same thing with your card.

1: Run 'xf86config'.  Choose 18 "NVIDIA (generic)" for the card definition.  This generates a good XF86Config file using XFree86's nv driver.  This command will also allow you to specify the resolution(s) X will run at (can be cycled with ctrl-alt-+ & ctrl-alt--).  After doing this, X should work, but without hardware accelerated OpenGL.

2a: These weren't available when I did it, but now you can download the latest nvidia driver already patched to word with 2.6 from:
<http://www.sh.nu/download/nvidia/linux-2.6/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-5328-pkg0.run>

2b: If you don't trust that file, download nvidia's driver from nvidia's official site, and patch it with the patch from <http://minion.de>.  This is what I did, so I can personally vouch for it; but it's more work.  If you decide you want to do this, follow the instructions on the minion site; I'll outline the other (easier) method.

3: Run the patched installer as root.  It should install everything to the correct locations automatically.

4: Edit /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 (or XF86Config) and change the line that says:
	Driver	"nv"
	Driver	"nvidia"

For OpenGL (3D support), make sure that in the module section it has the line:
	Load		"glx"
and does NOT have (or they are commented out):
	Load		"dri"
	Load		"GLcore"

5: Should work.  Try startx now.

GL,
Conway S. Smith
>> [snip]
>
> Thanks again, the problem was that nvidia_drv.o was not being placed in
> the right place (/usr/...)
> I had to do a find .|grep nvidia to find the module(buried in the
> NVIDIA...... installation directory)
> and cp it to the right place <phew>. Now xinit works fine but startx
> hangs. Also my shiny new 2.6.1 kernel locks hard pretty often
> (considering that my 2.4 kernel never did) Any ideas as to Why???????
> and how do I change the resolution?

-

* Re: X not starting at all
@ 2004-01-16  4:37 ` joy
From: joy @ 2004-01-16  4:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: beolach; +Cc: linux-newbie

@ 2004-01-15  5:05 beolach
From: beolach @ 2004-01-15  5:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gracecott; +Cc: linux-newbie

Sorry if this is a repost, I thought I had already sent this (and it is in
my "Sent Messages") but I never saw it come through the list.

> Hello,
> it's me again.
> Thanks again for the help you guys gave me when I had a problem with my
> modules.
> from when I had installed Woody, I was not able to startx as I have a
> Geforce4 MX 440 SE which was not supported by the nv driver in X (I have
> version 4.1.0.1)
> I got a new driver from the Nvidia site (the latest is pkg2 I think, I
> have pkg0 ).I installed it and yet startx would not work.

The pkg-# on the nvidia driver's really don't matter; the only difference
in the different numbers is the precompiled kernel versions already in the
package; and since the package includes the source it can compile the
kernel module in a couple minutes if your kernel version doesn't happen to
be one of the supported versions in the package.

> since X loads its drivers from /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers , I moved
> the new NV module (nvidia.ko ) and renamed it nv_drv.o which was the nv
> driver  (this is illogical, I know , but I was desperate.....)

> and it gave me another error message module does not have nvModuledata
> data object and died on me. I just got Gnome 2.4 and I'm desperate to
> install it.

This (obviously) doesn't work.  What it is, is the nvidia driver has two
parts; a kernel module (the nvidia.ko file), and a X driver.  When you run
the installer from nvidia's website, they should install to the correct
locations - you shouldn't need to move any files (the correct locations are
/lib/modules/2.6.1/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.ko &
/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/nvidia_drv.o).  What you will need to do
is edit the X config file, usually /etc/X11/XF86Config or XF86Config-4.
In this file, you need to go to the display device section and change the
line that says:
    Driver      "nv"
to say
    Driver      "nvidia"

Also, assuming you want OpenGL support, make sure the XF86Config file also
has a line that says:
    Load       "glx"

That should be it: run the install program & edit XF86Config.

If you still have any problems, check nvidia's README at
<ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/1.0-5328/README>

> So anybody with the ideas flashing,
> HELP!
> thanx in advance,
> Joy

Hope this helps,
Conway S. Smith
-

* Re: X not starting at all
@ 2004-01-15  4:26 joy
From: joy @ 2004-01-15  4:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

I did what was told of me (i.e apply the minion.de patch) and install to
my 2.6.1.I tried installing using the modified nvidia installer but it
would'nt.
So, I  did a make install . the nvidia module was loaded and my
Xf86config-4 (using debconf) was modified to nvidia.
Now it says could not find module 'nvidia'. the nvidia.o module is in my
/root/Nvidia/..... folder .sholud I declare this path in the XF86 config-4?
'coz it is still trying to load the modules from
/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers.

Thanx in adv.,
Joy.