* --rebuild-tree, out of disk
@ 2004-01-10 21:17 David D. Huff Jr.
From: David D. Huff Jr. @ 2004-01-10 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: reiserfs-list

I've used cfdisk to change change the size of the partition but
resize_resierfs fails even when -f is used.

Any suggestions on how to minimize space usage?

I'd rather mark the partition clean, then run resize_reiserfs followed
by reiserfsck --rebuild-tree but I don't know how.

Suggestions welcome.

* Re: --rebuild-tree, out of disk
@ 2004-01-11 12:34 ` Vitaly Fertman
From: Vitaly Fertman @ 2004-01-11 12:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David D. Huff Jr., reiserfs-list

On Sunday 11 January 2004 00:17, David D. Huff Jr. wrote:
> I've used cfdisk to change change the size of the partition but
> resize_resierfs fails even when -f is used.
>
> Any suggestions on how to minimize space usage?

Did you want to shrink the partition? Looks like resize_reiserfs failed
because you run it after the fdisk, it should be run before at shrinking.

> I'd rather mark the partition clean, then run resize_reiserfs followed
> by reiserfsck --rebuild-tree but I don't know how.

I do not undestand you, have you run reiserfsck --rebuild-tree?
What were your steps in the chronological order?

Vitaly Fertman

* Re: --rebuild-tree, out of disk
@ 2004-01-11 18:44   ` David D. Huff Jr.
From: David D. Huff Jr. @ 2004-01-11 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vitaly Fertman; +Cc: reiserfs-list

Vitaly Fertman wrote:
> On Sunday 11 January 2004 00:17, David D. Huff Jr. wrote:
>
>>I've used cfdisk to change change the size of the partition but
>>resize_resierfs fails even when -f is used.
>>
>>Any suggestions on how to minimize space usage?
>

> Did you want to shrink the partition? Looks like resize_reiserfs failed
> because you run it after the fdisk, it should be run before at shrinking.
>

>>I'd rather mark the partition clean, then run resize_reiserfs followed
>>by reiserfsck --rebuild-tree but I don't know how.
>

> I do not undestand you, have you run reiserfsck --rebuild-tree?
> What were your steps in the chronological order?

The system was using an abnormal amount of space, going through 3.8 Gig
of space in a week that could not be accounted for. I checked directory
sizes and file sizes, nothing added up to the space being used. It was
only a webserver and disk growth shouldn't have been more that 35MB a
month. I ran reiserfsck --check and it said it was OK but I knew it
wasn't so when I ran --rebuild-tree, it ran out of space.

I'd allocated 2 Gig for swap, so I used cfdisk to reduce it to 1600 Mb
(/dev/hda2) and deleted and re-allocated the reiserfs partition
(/dev/hda1) to include the full size. When I run resize_reiserfs -f it
says to run reiserfsck --rebuild-tree. Well I've done that and received
the same out of disk condition. -That and using every other switch I can
think of. I also used gpart but it only recognized /dev/hda2 and that
there was a 27 Gig partition in front of it, then gpart would abort.

At this point I'm thinking it is de-allocating bad sectors as fast as
the drive can write.

For my next step I intend to dd the partition to another disk with a
larger formatted partition and try to run --rebuild tree there.

For your edutainment, that bad disk is one of those IBM Deskstars
mentioned on the namesys faq I did not know that there was class action
suit pending in the matter, this is the 4th (Deskstar) drive to die less
than three years old and on short notice,(all purchased from Jan 2000
through June 2001, before their evils were known).

* Re: --rebuild-tree, out of disk
@ 2004-01-11 20:27     ` Vitaly Fertman
From: Vitaly Fertman @ 2004-01-11 20:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David D. Huff Jr.; +Cc: reiserfs-list

> The system was using an abnormal amount of space, going through 3.8 Gig
> of space in a week that could not be accounted for. I checked directory
> sizes and file sizes, nothing added up to the space being used. It was
> only a webserver and disk growth shouldn't have been more that 35MB a
> month. I ran reiserfsck --check and it said it was OK but I knew it
> wasn't so when I ran --rebuild-tree, it ran out of space.

what reiserfsprogs version do you use?
did you specify any option to reiserfsck?

> I'd allocated 2 Gig for swap, so I used cfdisk to reduce it to 1600 Mb
> (/dev/hda2) and deleted and re-allocated the reiserfs partition
> (/dev/hda1) to include the full size. When I run resize_reiserfs -f it
> says to run reiserfsck --rebuild-tree. Well I've done that and received
> the same out of disk condition. -That and using every other switch I can
> think of. I also used gpart but it only recognized /dev/hda2 and that
> there was a 27 Gig partition in front of it, then gpart would abort.

so you increased the 25G fs up to 27 Gb and got out of space again,
correct?

> At this point I'm thinking it is de-allocating bad sectors as fast as
> the drive can write.

What do you mean by saying 'bad sectors'? Are there bad blocks on
your drive or what? You should fix hardware problems first and read
also http://www.namesys.com/bad-block-handling.html please.

> For my next step I intend to dd the partition to another disk with a
> larger formatted partition and try to run --rebuild tree there.

I would advise to zero the rest of the 'larger partition' beyond the
source partition size to avoid any possible problem of mixing your
valid data with old reiserfs data existed on the 'larger partition'.

@ 2004-01-12  4:16       ` David D. Huff Jr.
From: David D. Huff Jr. @ 2004-01-12  4:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vitaly Fertman, reiserfs-list

Vitaly Fertman wrote:
>>The system was using an abnormal amount of space, going through 3.8 Gig
>>of space in a week that could not be accounted for. I checked directory
>>sizes and file sizes, nothing added up to the space being used. It was
>>only a webserver and disk growth shouldn't have been more that 35MB a
>>month. I ran reiserfsck --check and it said it was OK but I knew it
>>wasn't so when I ran --rebuild-tree, it ran out of space.
>

> what reiserfsprogs version do you use?
3.6.11
> did you specify any option to reiserfsck?
Yes, --rebuild-tree

>>I'd allocated 2 Gig for swap, so I used cfdisk to reduce it to 1600 Mb
>>(/dev/hda2) and deleted and re-allocated the reiserfs partition
>>(/dev/hda1) to include the full size. When I run resize_reiserfs -f it
>>says to run reiserfsck --rebuild-tree. Well I've done that and received
>>the same out of disk condition. -That and using every other switch I can
>>think of. I also used gpart but it only recognized /dev/hda2 and that
>>there was a 27 Gig partition in front of it, then gpart would abort.
>

> so you increased the 25G fs up to 27 Gb and got out of space again,
> correct?
No, it was already 27 Gig, it should have been 400 Mb larger but since
resize_reiserfs won't run it still reports the original size. cfdisk
reports the additional size correctly.

>>At this point I'm thinking it is de-allocating bad sectors as fast as
>>the drive can write.
>

> What do you mean by saying 'bad sectors'? Are there bad blocks on
> your drive or what? You should fix hardware problems first and read
> also http://www.namesys.com/bad-block-handling.html please.

Thanks, I only had time to try once today and it didn't report any bad
blocks. Work continues as time allows.

>>For my next step I intend to dd the partition to another disk with a
>>larger formatted partition and try to run --rebuild tree there.
>

> I would advise to zero the rest of the 'larger partition' beyond the
> source partition size to avoid any possible problem of mixing your
> valid data with old reiserfs data existed on the 'larger partition'.

Good idea, I was concerned about old data showing up. I'll have to read
up on how to zero the data, I've done that for the MBR in the past but
not for data.

@ 2004-01-12 10:27         ` Vitaly Fertman
From: Vitaly Fertman @ 2004-01-12 10:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David D. Huff Jr., reiserfs-list

On Monday 12 January 2004 07:16, David D. Huff Jr. wrote:
> Vitaly Fertman wrote:
> >>The system was using an abnormal amount of space, going through 3.8 Gig
> >>of space in a week that could not be accounted for. I checked directory
> >>sizes and file sizes, nothing added up to the space being used. It was
> >>only a webserver and disk growth shouldn't have been more that 35MB a
> >>month. I ran reiserfsck --check and it said it was OK but I knew it
> >>wasn't so when I ran --rebuild-tree, it ran out of space.
> >
> > what reiserfsprogs version do you use?
>
> 3.6.11
>
> > did you specify any option to reiserfsck?
>
> Yes, --rebuild-tree
>
> >>I'd allocated 2 Gig for swap, so I used cfdisk to reduce it to 1600 Mb
> >>(/dev/hda2) and deleted and re-allocated the reiserfs partition
> >>(/dev/hda1) to include the full size. When I run resize_reiserfs -f it
> >>says to run reiserfsck --rebuild-tree. Well I've done that and received
> >>the same out of disk condition. -That and using every other switch I can
> >>think of. I also used gpart but it only recognized /dev/hda2 and that
> >>there was a 27 Gig partition in front of it, then gpart would abort.
> >
> > so you increased the 25G fs up to 27 Gb and got out of space again,
> > correct?
>
> No, it was already 27 Gig, it should have been 400 Mb larger but since
> resize_reiserfs won't run it still reports the original size. cfdisk
> reports the additional size correctly.

oops, I wanted to ask about the partition, not fs size.
did you run reiserfsck --rebuild-sb ?
If you increased the size of the partition without running resizer,
the fs size is still the same. As you cannot run resizer -- fs is not
in consistent state, you should run reiserfsck --rebuild-sb to fix
the fs size and then reiserfsck --rebuild-tree. Before rebuilding
the treee it would be better to zero the increased part of the
partition (dd if=/dev/zero ...)

Could you also run
	debugreiserfs -p /dev/xxx | bzip2 -c > xxx.bz2
_before_ running rebuild-sb and provide it somehow for downloading.
It is probably still possible to find out if there was any problem with
disk usage initially when reiserfsck reported no problem.

@ 2004-01-14  0:30           ` David D. Huff Jr.
From: David D. Huff Jr. @ 2004-01-14  0:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vitaly Fertman; +Cc: reiserfs-list

Vitaly Fertman wrote:

>>>what reiserfsprogs version do you use?
>>
>>3.6.11
>>

>>>did you specify any option to reiserfsck?
>>
>>Yes, --rebuild-tree

>>>so you increased the 25G fs up to 27 Gb and got out of space again,
>>>correct?
>>
>>No, it was already 27 Gig, it should have been 400 Mb larger but since
>>resize_reiserfs won't run it still reports the original size. cfdisk
>>reports the additional size correctly.
>

> oops, I wanted to ask about the partition, not fs size.
> did you run reiserfsck --rebuild-sb ?
> If you increased the size of the partition without running resizer,
> the fs size is still the same. As you cannot run resizer -- fs is not
> in consistent state, you should run reiserfsck --rebuild-sb to fix
> the fs size and then reiserfsck --rebuild-tree. Before rebuilding
> the treee it would be better to zero the increased part of the
> partition (dd if=/dev/zero ...)

It all became a moot point today when I booted up the drive on the cdrom
and the drive was gone. The last thing I ran on the drive Sunday was the
program to report bad blocks, when it didn't find any I went on to other
things. Today CFDISK showed a blank hard drive with no partitions. I'm
pretty sure I really don't want anything I might recover from it now.

So another door stop was born and I'm off to rebuild the server. Thanks
all for your help.