* RAID-6 now in 2.6.1-mm
@ 2004-01-19  6:49 H. Peter Anvin
From: H. Peter Anvin @ 2004-01-19  6:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-raid

Hi all,

For those who haven't seen yet, RAID-6 has been integrated into the
2.6.1-mm kernels.  Please test it out and let me know how it works
out.

The mdadm patch is still at:

    ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/hpa/

    -hpa

* RE: RAID-6 now in 2.6.1-mm
@ 2004-01-19 18:48 ` Guy
From: Guy @ 2004-01-19 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'H. Peter Anvin', linux-raid

Can anyone explain how RAID6 works?  I understand RAID5, XOR, but I don't
see how that could be extended to allow any 2 disks to fail.

Thanks.

@ 2004-01-19 19:04   ` H. Peter Anvin
From: H. Peter Anvin @ 2004-01-19 19:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guy; +Cc: linux-raid

Guy wrote:
> Can anyone explain how RAID6 works?  I understand RAID5, XOR, but I don't
> see how that could be extended to allow any 2 disks to fail.

If you want the gory details, I've written a short paper on it:

http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/hpa/raid6.pdf

	-hpa