* via82xx: problem with distorted sound
@ 2004-01-18 19:57 Detlef Grittner
From: Detlef Grittner @ 2004-01-18 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

I have problems with the via82xx sound module, which puts out distorted
sound.
I'm using the via82xx that comes with kernel 2.6.1 and I'm using the
module that came with my distribution's kernel 2.4.24.
The problem exists with the module from kernel 2.4.24, but things got
worse with kernel 2.6.1.

When I'm playing a sound with xmms, after a while there is a jittering
noise. It goes away if you press pause and play again in xmms.
The noise always occurs at the same position in the song, if you start
play back at the beginning of the sound and don't interrupt it.

I have already experimented with the source of the via82xx module, but
regardless what I do: The problems is always *exactly* the same.
Changing the dxs parameters or the ac97 clock doesn't help either.
During my experiments I managed to get rid off the "invalid
via82xx_cur_ptr, using last valid pointer", but this seems not to be the
real problem. This was the only error message I had in the log file.

Even more astonishing is: If you use kernel 2.6.1 and minimize and
maximize a window in X11, the sound simply stops until the window is
minimized or maximized. I have absolutely no idea how these actions can
be connected.

Here some stats about my soundcard and other hardware:
AMD 64 x86_64 (using the 64 bit architecture)

from lspci:
00:11.5 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc.
VT8233/A/8235 AC97 Audio Controller (rev 60)

cat /proc/asound/cards
0 [rev60          ]: VIA8233 - VIA 823x rev60
                     VIA 823x rev60 at 0xb800, irq 3

Any ideas what I should do?

Detlef

http://www.eclipsecon.org/osdn

* Re: via82xx: problem with distorted sound
@ 2004-01-19  9:11 ` Gustavo Guillermo
From: Gustavo Guillermo @ 2004-01-19  9:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Detlef Grittner, alsa-devel

Try using ARTS and noatun or mplayer (or whatever supports arts) as a
sound output, and tell arts to sample to 4800, it works for me.

El 19/01/04, 1:57:44, detlef.grittner@t-online.de (Detlef Grittner)
escribió sobre el tema [Alsa-devel] via82xx: problem with distorted
sound:

@ 2004-01-19 20:39   ` Detlef Grittner
From: Detlef Grittner @ 2004-01-19 20:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel; +Cc: Gustavo Guillermo

Gustavo Guillermo schrieb:

>Try using ARTS and noatun or mplayer (or whatever supports arts) as a
>sound output, and tell arts to sample to 4800, it works for me.

I've done some more experiments:
noatun doesn't play at all, but mpg123 and xine seem to have no problems.
(Though they don't have the internet streaming support I need, but
that's another topic.)

So it could be a problem with xmms, I will try to get and compile my own
version.

BUT:
The problem that the sound stops when minimizing and maximizing windows
prevails.
I click several time on the window in the taskbar without waiting for
the window to minimize or maximize actually.
All players stop playing sound, but I doubt that this is the sound
driver, on the other hand: I don't know...

Has anyone an idea where I should start to investigate this problem?

And: when I put some kernel debug messages (printk) in the function
snd_via8233_pcm_pointer the error message "invalid via82xx_cur_ptr,
using last valid pointer" seems to disappear. But what I have done is
not a fix.

I don't know enough about the hardware, but could this be a timing
problem in the driver?

@ 2004-01-19 20:50     ` Florian Schmidt
From: Florian Schmidt @ 2004-01-19 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Detlef Grittner; +Cc: alsa-devel, gustavo

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 21:39:39 +0100
detlef.grittner@t-online.de (Detlef Grittner) wrote:

> BUT:
> The problem that the sound stops when minimizing and maximizing
> windows prevails.

Interestig that you mention that. I have found that with mplayer, the
behaviour is different for sound files and video playback. I use xfce4
but i experienced this behaviour with different wm's.

soundfiles: moving, resizing windows, etc, has no effect on mplayer. the
updating of the time in the term stops, but sound playback just moves
on. same with xmms, display doesn't get updated while moving resizing
windows, but sound playback is fine.

videos: when playing back a video file with mplayer and i move/resize a
window, playback of video and sound stops until resize/move operation of
any window is finished..

I don't know what the reason for this is. Maybe the wm sends X some
message about stopping all video updates during size/move operations..
very funny..

Flo

--
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/9/florianschmidt.htm
http://www.arted.biz/mista.tapas

@ 2004-01-19 21:27   ` Detlef Grittner
From: Detlef Grittner @ 2004-01-19 21:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gustavo Guillermo; +Cc: alsa-devel

Gustavo Guillermo schrieb:

>Try using ARTS and noatun or mplayer (or whatever supports arts) as a
>sound output, and tell arts to sample to 4800, it works for me.

Just found out, that your idea is good :-)!

Inspecting the options of xmms I found out, that it was using the OSS
plugin and there is an arts plugin, which works fine!
OSS is emulated by ALSA in my configuration, and that seems to be a
problem.

http://www.eclipsecon.org/osdn