* linux-2.4.22, iptables-1.2.9, imq
@ 2003-11-12 15:56 Josh Howlett
From: Josh Howlett @ 2003-11-12 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netfilter; +Cc: Josh.Howlett

Hi,

I am trying to get IMQ working with Linux 2.4.22 and iptables-1.2.9.

I have patched the kernel with the IMQ patch. No problem.

I then patched the latest patch-o-matic with the IMQ patch. No problem.

I then ran P-o-M against my kernel tree, and selected IMQ. No problem.

I then selected the IMQ target (module) and device (module) options in
the kernel configuration and compiled it. No problem.

I then compiled iptables against the kernel (statically). No problem.

When I run iptables I get: "Couldn't find target `IMQ'".

I assume that the IMQ stuff isn't getting linked into iptables. Where
have I gone wrong? I don't seem to have patched anything directly
against the iptables source...

many thanks, josh.

Josh Howlett, Networking & Digital Communications,
Information Systems & Computing, University of Bristol, U.K.
'phone: 0117 928 7850 email: josh.howlett@bris.ac.uk

* Re: linux-2.4.22, iptables-1.2.9, imq
@ 2003-11-13 12:45 ` Vigil
From: Vigil @ 2003-11-13 12:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Did you reboot? :-D

--

.

* IMQ Replacement
@ 2004-01-17 15:15   ` Peter Frischknecht
From: Peter Frischknecht @ 2004-01-17 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have been using IMQ with great success for the last few months.  The
particular network where this is used has 400+ nodes, and IMQ performs
flawlessly.

As anyone who uses IMQ will tell you, the only alternatives are:
1 - Install another router, just to perform NAT
2 - Install 2 additional NICs in the Linux gateway with a Xover cable
between them

Is there another piece of software that performs the job of IMQ?
It is great being able to shape traffic AND masquerade packets in one
box.  How else can it be done?

We shape traffic individually for each client.  Generic traffic shapping
rules that regulate the entire pipe would not work for us.

The fact that IMQ is unmaintained is nerve wrecking.  It is difficult
enough to install the thing with the sources and documentation
available.  It will only become more difficult as the kernel evolves and
we move to 2.6.x.

I don't think I have the knowledge to mainatin the source code.  But I
believe in the concept so much that I might just take up the code
maintenance.  Hoepefully some other folks will join in.  Maybe we can
convince enough folks to incorporate it into 2.6.x.

Any help, comments or even flames will be appreciated.  It is time for a
solution to this problem.

Peter

* Re: IMQ Replacement
@ 2004-01-19 13:33     ` Andre Correa
                         ` (2 more replies)
From: Andre Correa @ 2004-01-19 13:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've being using IMQ with 2.4.23 here with no probs too. I've already
tried to discuss this topic here and in other lists but got no answer.
Writting to the last maintainner didn't helped much...

Some time ago there was a posting, maybe in LARTC, about a guy that
started a parallell IMQ project, but I've never heard about hin anymore...

I would like to contribute/coordinate in an effort to put IMQ back on
its track. It is an important feature that is being left behind.

Peter, maybe we should join, put a new site up with documentation
updates, maintain 2.4.x patchs and later think what to do with 2.6. We
may find other people interrested in coding and helping...

Anybody else care about it?

let us know...

cheers

Andre

Peter Frischknecht wrote:
> I have been using IMQ with great success for the last few months.  The
> particular network where this is used has 400+ nodes, and IMQ performs
> flawlessly.
>
> As anyone who uses IMQ will tell you, the only alternatives are:
> 1 - Install another router, just to perform NAT
> 2 - Install 2 additional NICs in the Linux gateway with a Xover cable
> between them
>
> Is there another piece of software that performs the job of IMQ?
> It is great being able to shape traffic AND masquerade packets in one
> box.  How else can it be done?
>
> We shape traffic individually for each client.  Generic traffic shapping
> rules that regulate the entire pipe would not work for us.
>
> The fact that IMQ is unmaintained is nerve wrecking.  It is difficult
> enough to install the thing with the sources and documentation
> available.  It will only become more difficult as the kernel evolves and
> we move to 2.6.x.
>
> I don't think I have the knowledge to mainatin the source code.  But I
> believe in the concept so much that I might just take up the code
> maintenance.  Hoepefully some other folks will join in.  Maybe we can
> convince enough folks to incorporate it into 2.6.x.
>
> Any help, comments or even flames will be appreciated.  It is time for a
> solution to this problem.
>
> Peter

* Re: IMQ Replacement
@ 2004-01-20  1:26       ` Rio Martin
From: Rio Martin @ 2004-01-20  1:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netfilter

As the network getting bigger, i think IMQ is the good solution to manage
traffic from all internal and outside network.
Could someone point me direction to get IMQ patch for 2.4.24 ?

Thank you.

Regards,
Rio Martin.

On Monday 19 January 2004 20:33, Andre Correa wrote:
> I've being using IMQ with 2.4.23 here with no probs too. I've already
> tried to discuss this topic here and in other lists but got no answer.
> Writting to the last maintainner didn't helped much...
> Some time ago there was a posting, maybe in LARTC, about a guy that
> started a parallell IMQ project, but I've never heard about hin anymore...
> I would like to contribute/coordinate in an effort to put IMQ back on
> its track. It is an important feature that is being left behind.
> Peter, maybe we should join, put a new site up with documentation
> updates, maintain 2.4.x patchs and later think what to do with 2.6. We
> may find other people interrested in coding and helping...
> Anybody else care about it?
> let us know...
> cheers
> Andre
>
> Peter Frischknecht wrote:
> > I have been using IMQ with great success for the last few months.  The
> > particular network where this is used has 400+ nodes, and IMQ performs
> > flawlessly.
> >
> > As anyone who uses IMQ will tell you, the only alternatives are:
> > 1 - Install another router, just to perform NAT
> > 2 - Install 2 additional NICs in the Linux gateway with a Xover cable
> > between them
> >
> > Is there another piece of software that performs the job of IMQ?
> > It is great being able to shape traffic AND masquerade packets in one
> > box.  How else can it be done?
> >
> > We shape traffic individually for each client.  Generic traffic shapping
> > rules that regulate the entire pipe would not work for us.
> >
> > The fact that IMQ is unmaintained is nerve wrecking.  It is difficult
> > enough to install the thing with the sources and documentation
> > available.  It will only become more difficult as the kernel evolves and
> > we move to 2.6.x.
> >
> > I don't think I have the knowledge to mainatin the source code.  But I
> > believe in the concept so much that I might just take up the code
> > maintenance.  Hoepefully some other folks will join in.  Maybe we can
> > convince enough folks to incorporate it into 2.6.x.
> >
> > Any help, comments or even flames will be appreciated.  It is time for a
> > solution to this problem.
> >
> > Peter

* Re: IMQ Replacement
@ 2004-01-20 10:28       ` Remus
From: Remus @ 2004-01-20 10:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andre Correa; +Cc: netfilter

Hi folks,

I care about it as well.

IMQ is great and have to be maintained, but myself I'm not strong with
programming.

But I can help with testing. If somebody can take care about IMQ (or new
project of it) would be very nice.

I prefer to have everything on one box - traffic shaping (ingress and
outgress), NAT and firewall.

So guys can anybody can maintain/update IMQ (specially for 2.6 kernel),
please?

Thanks

Remus

> I've being using IMQ with 2.4.23 here with no probs too. I've already
> tried to discuss this topic here and in other lists but got no answer.
> Writting to the last maintainner didn't helped much...
>
> Some time ago there was a posting, maybe in LARTC, about a guy that
> started a parallell IMQ project, but I've never heard about hin anymore...
>
> I would like to contribute/coordinate in an effort to put IMQ back on
> its track. It is an important feature that is being left behind.
>
> Peter, maybe we should join, put a new site up with documentation
> updates, maintain 2.4.x patchs and later think what to do with 2.6. We
> may find other people interrested in coding and helping...
>
> Anybody else care about it?
>
> let us know...
>
> cheers
>
> Andre
>

> Peter Frischknecht wrote:
> > I have been using IMQ with great success for the last few months.  The
> > particular network where this is used has 400+ nodes, and IMQ performs
> > flawlessly.
> >
> > As anyone who uses IMQ will tell you, the only alternatives are:
> > 1 - Install another router, just to perform NAT
> > 2 - Install 2 additional NICs in the Linux gateway with a Xover cable
> > between them
> >
> > Is there another piece of software that performs the job of IMQ?
> > It is great being able to shape traffic AND masquerade packets in one
> > box.  How else can it be done?
> >
> > We shape traffic individually for each client.  Generic traffic shapping
> > rules that regulate the entire pipe would not work for us.
> >
> > The fact that IMQ is unmaintained is nerve wrecking.  It is difficult
> > enough to install the thing with the sources and documentation
> > available.  It will only become more difficult as the kernel evolves and
> > we move to 2.6.x.
> >
> > I don't think I have the knowledge to mainatin the source code.  But I
> > believe in the concept so much that I might just take up the code
> > maintenance.  Hoepefully some other folks will join in.  Maybe we can
> > convince enough folks to incorporate it into 2.6.x.
> >
> > Any help, comments or even flames will be appreciated.  It is time for a
> > solution to this problem.
> >
> > Peter

* Re: IMQ Replacement
@ 2004-01-20 11:05       ` Krystian
From: Krystian @ 2004-01-20 11:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm also looking forward to it. In around month time I should have enogh
time to help(if i can), although i'm not familiar to linux programing(my
C is ok :D) :)

Krystian

* Re: IMQ Replacement
@ 2004-01-20 22:04         ` Alex Satrapa
From: Alex Satrapa @ 2004-01-20 22:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netfilter

Remus wrote:
> IMQ is great and have to be maintained, but myself I'm not strong with
> programming.
>
> But I can help with testing. If somebody can take care about IMQ (or new
> project of it) would be very nice.

Add me to the list of people happy to be testers!

* Re: IMQ Replacement
@ 2004-01-21 14:52         ` Andre Correa
From: Andre Correa @ 2004-01-21 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

OK guys, so there are some people interrested in it... I'll try again to
contact the last IMQ maintainer and see if he answers... If nothing
happens I think the best way to start is to setup a mailling list to
discuss it...

Does anybody know who is the contact at Linux Kernel development for us
to double check if there is nobody else working on it?

later

Andre

* Re: IMQ Replacement
@ 2004-01-26 12:16           ` Andre Correa
From: Andre Correa @ 2004-01-26 12:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi guys, Andy F. pointed out that Alexander Clouter and other guys
ported IMQ to 2.6. The URL to their port is:

http://www.digriz.org.uk/jdg-qos-script/#qos-2.6

I had no time or resources to test it so far...

I've got no answer from the last IMQ maintainer so I'll start a list for
us to discuss what we'll gonna do about it. I'll let you know later today.

I'm sorry if this thread is disturbing somebody in this list. I'll just
post 1 or 2 e-mails about it and we'll be out...

Meanwhile, anybody interrested in joining us to work with IMQ please
contact me privately.

tks...

Andre

* Re: IMQ Replacement
@ 2004-01-26 14:42             ` Sven Schuster
From: Sven Schuster @ 2004-01-26 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Andre,

maybe interessting for you: Marcel Sebek recently started a thread
on netdev about this topic. He has ported the IMQ device to 2.6
and asked if this might be accepted. Davem contacted Patrick
McHardy, the original author, who said that the IMQ device was
buggy.
This thread still continues, take a look at netdev ml archives for
more information.

HTH

Sven

On Mon, Jan 26, 2004 at 10:16:55AM -0200, Andre Correa told us:

--
Linux zion 2.6.1 #2 Mon Jan 12 14:25:44 CET 2004 i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux
 15:38:04  up 13 days, 21:10,  5 users,  load average: 0.23, 0.12, 0.04

* Re: IMQ Replacement
@ 2004-01-26 15:50               ` Andy Furniss
From: Andy Furniss @ 2004-01-26 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sven Schuster wrote:
> Hi Andre,
>
> maybe interessting for you: Marcel Sebek recently started a thread
> on netdev about this topic. He has ported the IMQ device to 2.6
> and asked if this might be accepted. Davem contacted Patrick
> McHardy, the original author, who said that the IMQ device was
> buggy.
> This thread still continues, take a look at netdev ml archives for
> more information.

There is also discussion on the LARTC list at the moment - someone
called roy has rewritten IMQ but still sees crashes. He thinks they are
related to locally generated traffic, so IMQ for ingress should be OK.

Personally I have used IMQ for locally generated traffic (> a gig/day up
with bittorrent running on a P200 gateway) without problems, but I only
have 256kbit/s up and shutdown everything at night.

Andy.

> HTH
>
> Sven
>
> On Mon, Jan 26, 2004 at 10:16:55AM -0200, Andre Correa told us:
>
>>Hi guys, Andy F. pointed out that Alexander Clouter and other guys
>>ported IMQ to 2.6. The URL to their port is:
>>
>>http://www.digriz.org.uk/jdg-qos-script/#qos-2.6
>>
>>I had no time or resources to test it so far...
>>
>>I've got no answer from the last IMQ maintainer so I'll start a list for
>>us to discuss what we'll gonna do about it. I'll let you know later today.
>>
>>I'm sorry if this thread is disturbing somebody in this list. I'll just
>>post 1 or 2 e-mails about it and we'll be out...
>>
>>Meanwhile, anybody interrested in joining us to work with IMQ please
>>contact me privately.
>>
>>tks...
>>
>>Andre

* Re: IMQ Replacement
@ 2004-01-27  0:17                 ` Andy Furniss
From: Andy Furniss @ 2004-01-27  0:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andy Furniss wrote:

> There is also discussion on the LARTC list at the moment - someone
> called roy has rewritten IMQ but still sees crashes. He thinks they are
> related to locally generated traffic, so IMQ for ingress should be OK.

He just posted this, thought it may be of interest.

Finaly I made imq driver stable it did not crashed for all 5 hours under
high load, soo looks stable.
(old one was crashing after 1-5 min for me)

no need to patch anything just compile and insmod, should work with any
kernel probably must be > than 2.4.20

This is completely diferent code than old imq.
you can find it on my server http://pupa.da.ru
please tell how it works for you and how stable it is.

* Re: IMQ Replacement
@ 2004-01-27  8:13             ` Remus
From: Remus @ 2004-01-27  8:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andre Correa; +Cc: netfilter

Hi Andre,

I'm already using this IMQ port and it seems to be very stable for ingres.

> Hi guys, Andy F. pointed out that Alexander Clouter and other guys
> ported IMQ to 2.6. The URL to their port is:
>
> http://www.digriz.org.uk/jdg-qos-script/#qos-2.6
>
> I had no time or resources to test it so far...

Regards

Remus

* Re: IMQ Replacement
@ 2004-01-27  8:24                   ` Andy Furniss
From: Andy Furniss @ 2004-01-27  8:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andy Furniss wrote:
> Andy Furniss wrote:
>
>> There is also discussion on the LARTC list at the moment - someone
>> called roy has rewritten IMQ but still sees crashes. He thinks they
>> are related to locally generated traffic, so IMQ for ingress should be
>> OK.
>

> He just posted this, thought it may be of interest.
>

> Finaly I made imq driver stable it did not crashed for all 5 hours under
> high load, soo looks stable.
> (old one was crashing after 1-5 min for me)
>
> no need to patch anything just compile and insmod, should work with any
> kernel probably must be > than 2.4.20
>
> This is completely diferent code than old imq.
> you can find it on my server http://pupa.da.ru
> please tell how it works for you and how stable it is.

He has since posted that it crashes on locally generated traffic,
apparently the kernel resends what gets dropped and at 100mbs this uses
too many resources.

Andy.