* S3 on a Compaq Evo N610c
@ 2004-02-02  9:59 Gabe Sibley
From: Gabe Sibley @ 2004-02-02  9:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

Hi all,

I've got a scary storie to tell.  The other day I was checking out the
acpi support on my Compaq Evo n610c.  I have the latest bios from
compaq, and I was trying out the 2.6.1 stock kernel.  I build the acpi
modules into the kernel.  When I pipe a "3" to /proc/acpi/sleep the
system seems to go down just fine.  But when I try to power up, she just
lets out a continuous beep.  I had to take the battery out to reset it.
  Then at as I'm booting, grub freaks out.  Somehow, grub.conf was
gone... wtf?   grub.conf lives on /hda2, which was never mounted.  I
re-wrote grub.conf, but don't really know what happened... where did it
go?  why?  THe next boot cycle, /hda5 (home) complains, so I fsck it,
and find a few inode problems that I just let fsck fix.  Next boot, grub
is completely gone from the boot sector, and the machine boots straight
to Windows!  At this point I'm worried big time.  I have run all the
compaq diagnostics to see if the disk is messedup - it's not.  I
re-installed grub, and I've gone back to 2.6.0.  I have not tried echo 3
again.  So I have no idea what happened.  Seems the laptop freaked out.
  anyone else see anything like this before?

On another note, has anywone gotten acpi to *really* work on the n610c???

cheers, Gabe

http://www.eclipsecon.org/osdn

* Re: S3 on a Compaq Evo N610c
       [not found] ` <3ACA40606221794F80A5670F0AF15F8401CBB66E-SRlDPOYGfgogGBtAFL8yw7fspsVTdybXVpNB7YpNyf8@public.gmane.org>
@ 2004-02-03  9:36   ` Thorsten Zachmann
From: Thorsten Zachmann @ 2004-02-03  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

Hello Luming
On Tuesday 03 February 2004 08:44, Yu, Luming wrote:
> >   anyone else see anything like this before?
>
> I did remember there are several laptops unable to resume from S3.
> And have to take the battery out to reset it. Any conclusion?

I also had this on my Toshiba tecra s1 after I applied a fixed dsdt from the
net. The problem was that the fixed dsdt was for 256MB and my pc has 512 MB
of RAM. After I changed the RAM size according to the one found in the
original dsdt this problem did no longer occur.

Hope this helps.

Thorsten

@ 2004-02-03  9:14 Yu, Luming
From: Yu, Luming @ 2004-02-03  9:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thorsten Zachmann, acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f
  Cc: Gabe Sibley

> I also had this on my Toshiba tecra s1 after I applied a
> fixed dsdt from the
> net. The problem was that the fixed dsdt was for 256MB and my
> pc has 512 MB
> of RAM. After I changed the RAM size according to the one
> found in the
> original dsdt this problem did no longer occur.
>
> Hope this helps.

Would you post it on list?

@ 2004-02-03  9:09   ` Thorsten Zachmann
From: Thorsten Zachmann @ 2004-02-03  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yu, Luming, acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f; +Cc: Gabe Sibley

@ 2004-02-03  7:44 Yu, Luming
       [not found] ` <3ACA40606221794F80A5670F0AF15F8401CBB66E-SRlDPOYGfgogGBtAFL8yw7fspsVTdybXVpNB7YpNyf8@public.gmane.org>
From: Yu, Luming @ 2004-02-03  7:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gabe Sibley, acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

>   anyone else see anything like this before?

I did remember there are several laptops unable to resume from S3.
And have to take the battery out to reset it. Any conclusion?

I believe any file system issues you mentioned above is caused
by abnormal shutdown.

> On another note, has anywone gotten acpi to *really* work on
> the n610c???

I have the same question for ASUS M2400..

http://www.eclipsecon.org/osdn