* [Qemu-devel] Question about VM inner route entry's lost when vhost-user reconnect
@ 2019-03-04  8:26 Lilijun (Jerry, Cloud Networking)
From: Lilijun (Jerry, Cloud Networking) @ 2019-03-04  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel; +Cc: wangyunjian, wangxin (U)

Hi all,

      I am running my VM using vhost-user NIC with OVS-DPDK.  The steps of my question is shown as follows:
     1) In the VM, I add one route entry manually on the vNIC eth0 using the linux tool route.
     2) When restarting openvswitch service for the crash of the ovs-vswitchd, qemu's vhost-user reconnected successfully after 40s.
     3) Here VM's vNIC will receive link down and up events, the interval between the two events is about 40s.
     3) But that route entry disappeared and that will cause user's network traffic interruption and the service failed.

     Is there some work on this problem?  Can we keep the vNIC's link up status when do vhost-user's reconnecting work?

     Thanks.

Jerry

* Re: [Qemu-devel] Question about VM inner route entry's lost when vhost-user reconnect
@ 2019-03-06 10:06 ` Stefan Hajnoczi
From: Stefan Hajnoczi @ 2019-03-06 10:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lilijun (Jerry, Cloud Networking); +Cc: qemu-devel, wangxin (U), wangyunjian

On Mon, Mar 04, 2019 at 08:26:23AM +0000, Lilijun (Jerry, Cloud Networking) wrote:
>       I am running my VM using vhost-user NIC with OVS-DPDK.  The steps of my question is shown as follows:
>      1) In the VM, I add one route entry manually on the vNIC eth0 using the linux tool route.
>      2) When restarting openvswitch service for the crash of the ovs-vswitchd, qemu's vhost-user reconnected successfully after 40s.
>      3) Here VM's vNIC will receive link down and up events, the interval between the two events is about 40s.
>      3) But that route entry disappeared and that will cause user's network traffic interruption and the service failed.
>
>      Is there some work on this problem?  Can we keep the vNIC's link up status when do vhost-user's reconnecting work?

Can you add the custom route to the network management tool inside the
guest so that it will be reinstated when the link comes back up?

The details of how to do this depend on the guest's distro.

Stefan

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: [Qemu-devel] Question about VM inner route entry's lost when vhost-user reconnect
@ 2019-03-08  2:31   ` Lilijun (Jerry, Cloud Networking)
From: Lilijun (Jerry, Cloud Networking) @ 2019-03-08  2:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Hajnoczi; +Cc: qemu-devel, wangxin (U), wangyunjian

Hi, Stefan

This problem is related with backend vhost-user socket abnormal cases, we shouldn't ask customers to configure it manually for backend's issues or depends on guest OS's network configuration.

Thanks

@ 2019-03-11  9:46     ` Stefan Hajnoczi
From: Stefan Hajnoczi @ 2019-03-11  9:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lilijun (Jerry, Cloud Networking); +Cc: qemu-devel, wangxin (U), wangyunjian