* want to be a kernel developer
@ 2017-02-24  8:29 sourav mondal
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: sourav mondal @ 2017-02-24  8:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

hi,
I want to be a kernel developer.I don't really know much about linux
kernel. can anyone suggests me some good books that can help to learn more
about the kernel development?

thanks,

sourav
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* want to be a kernel developer
@ 2017-02-24  9:09 ` Anuz Pratap Singh Tomar
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Anuz Pratap Singh Tomar @ 2017-02-24  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Fri, Feb 24, 2017 at 8:29 AM, sourav mondal <souravcristiano502@gmail.com
> wrote:

> hi,
> I want to be a kernel developer.I don't really know much about linux
> kernel. can anyone suggests me some good books that can help to learn more
> about the kernel development?
>
> thanks,
>
> sourav
>
> Start here
https://kernelnewbies.org/FAQ

Thank you
Warm Regards
Anuz
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* want to be a kernel developer
@ 2017-02-24  9:36 ` Ozgur Karatas
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Ozgur Karatas @ 2017-02-24  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* Fwd: want to be a kernel developer
@ 2017-02-24  9:38   ` Ozgur Karatas
From: Ozgur Karatas @ 2017-02-24  9:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

@ 2017-02-24 11:57 ` Kerimcankalipci
From: Kerimcankalipci @ 2017-02-24 11:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

I strongly recommend Linux Device Drivers book, my first Linux book was Professional Linux Kernel Architecture which bored me so much with lots of code examples, unnecessary details for my knowledge level and i dropped reading. After that i started to read Windows Internals and i learned much more information (thanks to closed source commercial OSes :) from that book.

@ 2017-02-24 12:06   ` Robert P. J. Day
From: Robert P. J. Day @ 2017-02-24 12:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Fri, 24 Feb 2017, Kerimcankalipci wrote:

> I strongly recommend Linux Device Drivers book ...

  that book is fairly dated by now, it's not as useful as it once was.

rday

p.s. if you at least want to keep up with updated source for the
sample code, you can find it here:

https://github.com/martinezjavier/ldd3

* want to be a kernel developer
@ 2017-02-24 12:33   ` Ozgur Karatas
From: Ozgur Karatas @ 2017-02-24 12:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* want to be a kernel developer
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2017-02-24 13:13 ` Alexander Alemayhu
From: Alexander Alemayhu @ 2017-02-24 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Fri, Feb 24, 2017 at 01:59:08PM +0530, sourav mondal wrote:
> hi,
> I want to be a kernel developer.I don't really know much about linux
> kernel. can anyone suggests me some good books that can help to learn more
> about the kernel development?
>
> thanks,

Not sure if it the whole book is good, but I liked the 100+ pages I read
in Linux-Treiber entwickeln[0]. If you can't read German might be a
challenge but found it to be newer than LDD3.

Have you considered finding a subsystem you like and try reading all the
emails the maintainer replies to? I have tried that several times now
and some of the cover letters / commits feels like reading a chapter in
a book.

[0]: https://www.dpunkt.de/buecher/12176/Linux-Treiber%20entwickeln.html

--
Mit freundlichen Gr??en

Alexander Alemayhu

* want to be a kernel developer
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2017-02-28 17:25 ` Chauhan, Himanshu
From: Chauhan, Himanshu @ 2017-02-28 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Fri, Feb 24, 2017 at 1:59 PM, sourav mondal
<souravcristiano502@gmail.com> wrote:
> hi,
> I want to be a kernel developer.I don't really know much about linux kernel.
> can anyone suggests me some good books that can help to learn more about the
> kernel development?

Books alone won't help. You will need hands on experience. Give
http://eudyptula-challenge.org a try.

Regards
[Himanshu Chauhan]

* want to be a kernel developer
@ 2017-03-03 16:53   ` sourav mondal
From: sourav mondal @ 2017-03-03 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

hello,
i had sent a mail stating "want to join" but didn't received any mail in
turn.any suggestions?

thanks and regards,

sourav

On Tue, Feb 28, 2017 at 10:55 PM, Chauhan, Himanshu <hschauhan@nulltrace.org

@ 2017-03-03 17:08     ` anastmag
From: anastmag @ 2017-03-03 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Fri, 3 Mar 2017 22:23:58 +0530
sourav mondal <souravcristiano502@gmail.com> wrote:
Wait for some time... It won't answer you immidiately
As you can read behind eudyptula is "A set of convoluted shell scripts
that are slow to anger and impossible to debug."