* Using SDK/ESDK to build images
@ 2019-02-12 11:55 Kristupas Savickas
From: Kristupas Savickas @ 2019-02-12 11:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

Hi,

we're looking into providing our customers with SDK/ESDK packages to
develop custom solutions on our boards. We don't want to provide the
whole project itself as it would leak our intellectual property, so
precompiled packages are a must. Looking around, it seems like both SDK
and ESDK are suited to build single packages, rather than complete
images. Am I correct about this? Is there some kind of method to allow
images be built using SDK packages?

* Re: Using SDK/ESDK to build images
@ 2019-02-13 20:02 ` Randy MacLeod
From: Randy MacLeod @ 2019-02-13 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kristupas Savickas, yocto

On 2/12/19 6:55 AM, Kristupas Savickas wrote:
> Hi,
>
> we're looking into providing our customers with SDK/ESDK packages to
> develop custom solutions on our boards. We don't want to provide the
> whole project itself as it would leak our intellectual property, so
> precompiled packages are a must. Looking around, it seems like both SDK
> and ESDK are suited to build single packages, rather than complete
> images. Am I correct about this?
Yes.
> Is there some kind of method to allow
> images be built using SDK packages?

No, or none that I'm aware of at least.

My assumption has been that you either:
  1. enable package management in the image and
     then add the app developed with the eSDK
     using dnf/rpm or other pkgs mgmt tools or
  2. you develop the app using the eSDK then bring
     it into the build system as a released/tagged entity (tarball/git)
     and build your image.

I suppose you could create another mechanism where you apply
the app on top of the image or in another partition.
Maybe someone here has done that or has more experience with
your situation.

Oh, an obvious mechanism would be as an app container using for
example OverC:
    https://github.com/OverC/meta-overc

https://github.com/OverC/meta-overc/blob/master/docs/README.c3_app_container
--
# Randy MacLeod
# Wind River Linux

* Re: Using SDK/ESDK to build images
@ 2019-02-14 20:22 ` Paul Eggleton
From: Paul Eggleton @ 2019-02-14 20:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kristupas Savickas; +Cc: yocto

Hi Kristupas,

On Wednesday, 13 February 2019 12:55:57 AM NZDT Kristupas Savickas wrote:
> we're looking into providing our customers with SDK/ESDK packages to
> develop custom solutions on our boards. We don't want to provide the
> whole project itself as it would leak our intellectual property, so
> precompiled packages are a must. Looking around, it seems like both SDK
> and ESDK are suited to build single packages, rather than complete
> images. Am I correct about this? Is there some kind of method to allow
> images be built using SDK packages?

The eSDK can build images, yes, via "devtool build-image". You won't get the
same ability to customise the OS as with the full build system (unless you
start editing the software contents or modifying the configuration, which
isn't really supported) - the purpose is really to allow building an image to
test one or more components that you're developing with the SDK.

Cheers,
Paul

--

Paul Eggleton