* Backporting patches that fix TBT at bootup
@ 2017-12-07 23:23 Mario.Limonciello
From: Mario.Limonciello @ 2017-12-07 23:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-acpi; +Cc: mika.westerberg

Hi,

During kernel 4.14 some issues were fixed for Thunderbolt enumeration at bootup.
They were referenced in an issue
(https://github.com/01org/thunderbolt-software-user-space/issues/24#issuecomment-328011428)
There are 3 patches that Mika mentioned would be evaluated to be backported back to 4.13.

As 4.14 has come and gone now, I wanted to see if there was any other thoughts about
bringing those back to stable now on 4.13 (or did they come back and I just didn't know?)

ecc1165b8b74 ACPICA: Dispatch active GPEs at init time
1312b7e0caca ACPICA: Make it possible to enable runtime GPEs earlier
eb7f43c4adb4 ACPI / scan: Enable GPEs before scanning the namespace

Thanks!

* Re: Backporting patches that fix TBT at bootup
@ 2017-12-07 23:32 ` Rafael J. Wysocki
From: Rafael J. Wysocki @ 2017-12-07 23:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mario Limonciello, Mika Westerberg; +Cc: ACPI Devel Maling List

Hi,

On Fri, Dec 8, 2017 at 12:23 AM,  <Mario.Limonciello@dell.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> During kernel 4.14 some issues were fixed for Thunderbolt enumeration at bootup.
> They were referenced in an issue
> (https://github.com/01org/thunderbolt-software-user-space/issues/24#issuecomment-328011428)
> There are 3 patches that Mika mentioned would be evaluated to be backported back to 4.13.
>
> As 4.14 has come and gone now, I wanted to see if there was any other thoughts about
> bringing those back to stable now on 4.13 (or did they come back and I just didn't know?)
>
> ecc1165b8b74 ACPICA: Dispatch active GPEs at init time
> 1312b7e0caca ACPICA: Make it possible to enable runtime GPEs earlier
> eb7f43c4adb4 ACPI / scan: Enable GPEs before scanning the namespace

I'm not aware of anything else needed at that point.

Mika, should the three commits above be sufficient?

Thanks,
Rafael

* Re: Backporting patches that fix TBT at bootup
@ 2017-12-08  7:11   ` Mika Westerberg
From: Mika Westerberg @ 2017-12-08  7:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rafael J. Wysocki; +Cc: Mario Limonciello, ACPI Devel Maling List

On Fri, Dec 08, 2017 at 12:32:19AM +0100, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Dec 8, 2017 at 12:23 AM,  <Mario.Limonciello@dell.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > During kernel 4.14 some issues were fixed for Thunderbolt enumeration at bootup.
> > They were referenced in an issue
> > (https://github.com/01org/thunderbolt-software-user-space/issues/24#issuecomment-328011428)
> > There are 3 patches that Mika mentioned would be evaluated to be backported back to 4.13.
> >
> > As 4.14 has come and gone now, I wanted to see if there was any other thoughts about
> > bringing those back to stable now on 4.13 (or did they come back and I just didn't know?)
> >
> > ecc1165b8b74 ACPICA: Dispatch active GPEs at init time
> > 1312b7e0caca ACPICA: Make it possible to enable runtime GPEs earlier
> > eb7f43c4adb4 ACPI / scan: Enable GPEs before scanning the namespace
>
> I'm not aware of anything else needed at that point.
>
> Mika, should the three commits above be sufficient?

Yup, those should be all that is needed and they are included in
stable v4.13.13.

* RE: Backporting patches that fix TBT at bootup
@ 2017-12-08 17:08     ` Mario.Limonciello
From: Mario.Limonciello @ 2017-12-08 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
> On Fri, Dec 08, 2017 at 12:32:19AM +0100, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Fri, Dec 8, 2017 at 12:23 AM,  <Mario.Limonciello@dell.com> wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > During kernel 4.14 some issues were fixed for Thunderbolt enumeration at
> bootup.
> > > They were referenced in an issue
> > > (https://github.com/01org/thunderbolt-software-user-
> space/issues/24#issuecomment-328011428)
> > > There are 3 patches that Mika mentioned would be evaluated to be backported
> back to 4.13.
> > >
> > > As 4.14 has come and gone now, I wanted to see if there was any other thoughts
> about
> > > bringing those back to stable now on 4.13 (or did they come back and I just
> didn't know?)
> > >
> > > ecc1165b8b74 ACPICA: Dispatch active GPEs at init time
> > > 1312b7e0caca ACPICA: Make it possible to enable runtime GPEs earlier
> > > eb7f43c4adb4 ACPI / scan: Enable GPEs before scanning the namespace
> >
> > I'm not aware of anything else needed at that point.
> >
> > Mika, should the three commits above be sufficient?
>
> Yup, those should be all that is needed and they are included in
> stable v4.13.13.

Thanks for confirming they were backported and the tag.

* Re: Backporting patches that fix TBT at bootup
       [not found] <ad18c029a5ca4a3cbcd4a2dfef50fed5@ausx13mpc120.AMER.DELL.COM>
@ 2017-12-08  7:10 ` Mika Westerberg
From: Mika Westerberg @ 2017-12-08  7:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mario.Limonciello; +Cc: linux-acpi

On Thu, Dec 07, 2017 at 11:20:40PM +0000, Mario.Limonciello@dell.com wrote:
>    Hi,
>

>    During kernel 4.14 some issues were fixed for Thunderbolt enumeration
>    at bootup.
>
>    They were referenced in an issue
>
>    ([1]https://github.com/01org/thunderbolt-software-user-space/issues/24#
>    issuecomment-328011428)
>
>    There are 3 patches that Mika mentioned would be evaluated to be
>    backported back to 4.13.
>

>    As 4.14 has come and gone now, I wanted to see if there was any other
>    thoughts about
>
>    bringing those back to stable now on 4.13 (or did they come back and I
>    just didn’t know?)
>

>    ecc1165b8b74 ACPICA: Dispatch active GPEs at init time
>
>    1312b7e0caca ACPICA: Make it possible to enable runtime GPEs earlier
>
>    eb7f43c4adb4 ACPI / scan: Enable GPEs before scanning the namespace

They are already in stable starting from v4.13.13.