* various doubts ......
@ 2004-08-09 17:20 joy
From: joy @ 2004-08-09 17:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-c-programming

Hello,
I  have a few , though unconnected doubts.

1) can a named pipe be locked using normal lockf()  or do I have to
perform some voodoo?

2) I need to transfer data (protocol not an issue, just raw data) from a
usb peripheral(not HDD)
    to the host comp. can I do this without writing a usb driver myself,
i.e , using some generic or user-space driver (like ppdev)
    the peripheral is a texas instruments tusb246b hub.

Thanx in advance,
Joy.M.Monteiro

* Re: various doubts ......
@ 2004-08-09 23:50 ` Luiz Fernando N. Capitulino
From: Luiz Fernando N. Capitulino @ 2004-08-09 23:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gracecott; +Cc: linux-c-programming

 Hi Joy,

Em Mon, 09 Aug 2004 22:50:25 +0530
joy <gracecott@sancharnet.in> screveu:

| Hello,
| I  have a few , though unconnected doubts.
|
| 1) can a named pipe be locked using normal lockf()  or do I have to
| perform some voodoo?

 I think is possible, but take a look at fcntl(2).

| 2) I need to transfer data (protocol not an issue, just raw data) from a
| usb peripheral(not HDD)
|     to the host comp. can I do this without writing a usb driver myself,
| i.e , using some generic or user-space driver (like ppdev)
|     the peripheral is a texas instruments tusb246b hub.

 If I've understand what you mean: maybe. The question is: there is any driver
for that hub in the kernel ?

 As far as I read, in ppdev you do have two things. First, there is the
/dev/lp0, which is the _printer_ driver; second, there is the /dev/parport0,
the _parallel port_ driver.

 You can write a user-space driver for you printer, because the kernel
already give you a way (driver) to acesses the parallel port, through
/dev/parport0.

 There is this kind of thing for your USB device ?

 hope this helps,

PS: Don't know nothing about printers, so I may be wrong.

--
Luiz Fernando

* Re: various doubts ......
@ 2004-08-11  2:51 ` joy
From: joy @ 2004-08-11  2:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: linux-c-programming

joy wrote:

> Hello,
> I  have a few , though unconnected doubts.
>
> 1) can a named pipe be locked using normal lockf()  or do I have to
> perform some voodoo?

Yes it can! I tried it out with two processes trying to write to the
pipe at the same time.One obtains the  lock
and sleep()s for 10 seconds during which the other process is blocked.