* [LARTC] adsl and p2p programs
@ 2004-09-01 12:31 James Lista
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: James Lista @ 2004-09-01 12:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lartc

hi there,

i have adsl connection sharing Internet for my lan.... but some users use kazaa & cia, stealing all the bandwidth. due to the policy, i cannot block these programs. I need some help about how i can avoid those ones from using the whole bandwidth with p2p programs ?

(please, be patient and gentle :D, i am new about bandwidth control)

thanks in help

lista@umeda.com.br

* Re: [LARTC] adsl and p2p programs
@ 2004-09-01 16:45 ` Ing. Marcos Salvatierra
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Ing. Marcos Salvatierra @ 2004-09-01 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lartc

James Lista escribió:

> hi there,
>
> i have adsl connection sharing Internet for my lan.... but some users
> use kazaa & cia, stealing all the bandwidth. due to the policy, i
> cannot block these programs. I need some help about how i can avoid
> those ones from using the whole bandwidth with p2p programs ?
>
> (please, be patient and gentle :D, i am new about bandwidth control)
>
> thanks in help
>
> lista@umeda.com.br <mailto:lista@umeda.com.br>

Lo que yo hago en esos casos, como el Kazaa usa muchos puertos de manera
aleatoria si es que el puerto 1214 esta bloqueado, entonces uso el
script de wondershaper para QoS y le doy baja prioridad al puerto 1214
de tal forma de no comprometer el ancho de banda.
De la misma forma y en el mismo script, que esta en lartc clasifico el
trafico con el ftp, el flashget (puerto 2197 creo) y priorizo el trafico
importante de la red (80, 25, 110, etc.)
Espero que sirva
Saludos.

* Re: [LARTC] adsl and p2p programs
@ 2004-09-01 19:48 ` rsenykoff
From: rsenykoff @ 2004-09-01 19:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lartc

--=_alternative 006CC3B986256F02_Content-Type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII"

<snip>
i have adsl connection sharing Internet for my lan.... but some users use
kazaa & cia, stealing all the bandwidth. due to the policy, i cannot block
these programs. I need some help about how i can avoid those ones from
using the whole bandwidth with p2p programs ?
</snip>

Check out this site.

http://www.compsci.lyon.edu/mcritch/dante/

--=_alternative 006CC3B986256F02_Content-Type: text/html; charset="US-ASCII"

my lan.... but some users use kazaa &amp; cia, stealing all the bandwidth.
due to the policy, i cannot block these programs. I need some help about
how i can avoid those ones from using the whole bandwidth with p2p programs
? </font>

@ 2004-09-02  3:03 ` Roy
From: Roy @ 2004-09-02  3:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lartc

This is most asked question  but there is no good solution anyway
you can try various ways, but they all are innefective when program opens
lots of connections
or you should prepare to lose 10-20% of your speed.

search the list archives for answer to your question.

> > i have adsl connection sharing Internet for my lan.... but some
> users
> > use kazaa &amp; cia, stealing all the bandwidth. due to the
> policy, i
> > cannot block these programs. I need some help about how i can
> avoid
> > those ones from using the whole bandwidth with p2p programs
> ?
> >
> > (please, be patient and gentle :D, i am new about bandwidth
> control)
> >
> > thanks in help
> >
> > lista@umeda.com.br <mailto:lista@umeda.com.br>
>
> Lo que yo hago en esos casos, como el Kazaa usa muchos puertos de manera
> aleatoria si es que el puerto 1214 esta bloqueado, entonces uso el
> script de wondershaper para QoS y le doy baja prioridad al puerto 1214
> de tal forma de no comprometer el ancho de banda.
> De la misma forma y en el mismo script, que esta en lartc clasifico el
> trafico con el ftp, el flashget (puerto 2197 creo) y priorizo el trafico
> importante de la red (80, 25, 110, etc.)
> Espero que sirva
> Saludos.

* RE: [LARTC] adsl and p2p programs
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)