* RE: Fan speeds on HP nc6400 and nc8430
@ 2007-01-19 11:29 Pieter De Wit
From: Pieter De Wit @ 2007-01-19 11:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-acpi

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii, Size: 2645 bytes --]

Hi Luming,

This module was build into the kernel. After make it a module and making
sure it's not loaded, I still see the problem. Here is a more detailed
problem:

If I leave ACPI to manage the system, thermal zone TZ4 stays around 80
C. The moment I turn on fan C318, this zone *shoots* up to 100 C and
stays there, no matter what. This fan I can't turn off again.

Here is a cat of fans, thermal_zone status and temp.

status:                  on
status:                  off
status:                  on
status:                  on
status:                  on
status:                  on
status:                  on
state:                   active[2]
state:                   ok
state:                   ok
state:                   ok
state:                   ok
temperature:             65 C
temperature:             61 C
temperature:             54 C
temperature:             30 C
temperature:             100 C

This was taken during the compile of gcc. While not doing anything, the
second zone drops to 54 C (currently at 61)

Thanks for the time,

Pieter

From: Alexey Starikovskiy @ 2007-01-19 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pieter De Wit; +Cc: linux-acpi

Did you try patches from #5534 and #7122?

@ 2007-01-19 14:41   ` emisca
From: emisca @ 2007-01-19 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexey Starikovskiy; +Cc: Pieter De Wit, linux-acpi

The TZ4 thermal zone on all the hp compaq line nx**** and nc**** is
not a temperature but the fan speed. You can see this information on
the web and on hp forums. I really don't know why hp has done this..
With my nx7400 I have problems with fans only when I resume from
suspend to disk and the thermal module is loaded by initramfs before
resuming the system.
I have also noticed that these laptops consume more energy on linux
than on windows.
I think that's a problem related to acpi C states. On AC I have only
C1 and C2 on both cpu cores, on battery I have C1, C2 on first core
and C1, C2, C3 on the second. Why there are no higher C-states?

Bye

@ 2007-01-19 17:32 ` Maciej Rutecki
From: Maciej Rutecki @ 2007-01-19 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pieter De Wit; +Cc: linux-acpi

Pieter De Wit napisał(a):
> Hi Luming,
>
> This module was build into the kernel. After make it a module and making
> sure it's not loaded, I still see the problem. Here is a more detailed
> problem:
>
> If I leave ACPI to manage the system, thermal zone TZ4 stays around 80
> C. The moment I turn on fan C318, this zone *shoots* up to 100 C and
> stays there, no matter what. This fan I can't turn off again.
>
> Here is a cat of fans, thermal_zone status and temp.
>
> status:                  on
> status:                  off
> status:                  on
> status:                  on
> status:                  on
> status:                  on
> status:                  on
> state:                   active[2]
> state:                   ok
> state:                   ok
> state:                   ok
> state:                   ok
> temperature:             65 C
> temperature:             61 C
> temperature:             54 C
> temperature:             30 C
> temperature:             100 C
>
> This was taken during the compile of gcc. While not doing anything, the
> second zone drops to 54 C (currently at 61)

Show:
cat /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/TZ0/trip_points

or change TZ0 to TZ1

For many HP notebooks first trip point is to low. To change manually,
for example:

echo "105:100:100:78:70:60:50" > /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/TZ0/trip_points
echo 10  > /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/TZ0/polling_frequency

Then I have:
maciek@rutek:~$ cat /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/TZ0/trip_points
critical (S5):           105 C
active[0]:               78 C: devices=0xcf7aea40
active[1]:               70 C: devices=0xcf7ae9dc
active[2]:               60 C: devices=0xcf7ae98c
active[3]:               50 C: devices=0xcf7ae93c

maciek@rutek:~$ cat /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/TZ0/polling_frequency
polling frequency:       10 seconds

--
Maciej Rutecki <maciej.rutecki@gmail.com>
http://www.unixy.pl

[-- Type: application/x-pkcs7-signature, Size: 3265 bytes --]

* Re: Fan speeds on HP nc6400 and nc8430
@ 2007-01-24  4:19     ` Luming Yu
From: Luming Yu @ 2007-01-24  4:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emisca; +Cc: Alexey Starikovskiy, Pieter De Wit, linux-acpi

On 1/19/07, emisca <emisca.ml@gmail.com> wrote:
> The TZ4 thermal zone on all the hp compaq line nx**** and nc**** is
> not a temperature but the fan speed. You can see this information on
> the web and on hp forums.

Where is the hp forums.

* Re: Fan speeds on HP nc6400 and nc8430
@ 2007-01-24  4:38       ` Bjorn Helgaas
From: Bjorn Helgaas @ 2007-01-24  4:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luming Yu; +Cc: emisca, Alexey Starikovskiy, Pieter De Wit, linux-acpi

On Tuesday 23 January 2007 21:19, Luming Yu wrote:
> On 1/19/07, emisca <emisca.ml@gmail.com> wrote:
> > The TZ4 thermal zone on all the hp compaq line nx**** and nc**** is
> > not a temperature but the fan speed. You can see this information on
> > the web and on hp forums.
>
> Where is the hp forums.

I don't work on laptops, so I can't confirm this, but Google found
this (from "tz4 thermal zone fan speed hp"):

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/questionanswer.do?threadId=1052925

* Re: Fan speeds on HP nc6400 and nc8430
@ 2007-01-24 14:54         ` Luming Yu
From: Luming Yu @ 2007-01-24 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bjorn Helgaas
  Cc: emisca, Alexey Starikovskiy, Pieter De Wit, linux-acpi, trenn

>From the thread, I see  Emilio Scalise has resolved the problem by
hacking DSDT. So it would be helpful to verify. (Please check this
thread http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-acpi@vger.kernel.org/msg02785.html)
I don't have this laptop, so I don't know if it really work. But, I
will check how it was resovled. Probably, we can find out the root
cause. But I'm still confused by the fact that Windows just works.

@ 2007-01-24 16:54         ` Bjorn Helgaas
From: Bjorn Helgaas @ 2007-01-24 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luming Yu; +Cc: emisca, Alexey Starikovskiy, Pieter De Wit, linux-acpi

On Tuesday 23 January 2007 21:38, Bjorn Helgaas wrote:
> On Tuesday 23 January 2007 21:19, Luming Yu wrote:
> > On 1/19/07, emisca <emisca.ml@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > The TZ4 thermal zone on all the hp compaq line nx**** and nc**** is
> > > not a temperature but the fan speed. You can see this information on
> > > the web and on hp forums.
> >
> > Where is the hp forums.
>
> I don't work on laptops, so I can't confirm this, but Google found
> this (from "tz4 thermal zone fan speed hp"):
>
> http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/questionanswer.do?threadId=1052925

Someone also sent me this, which I'll include in case it helps anybody
else.  Obviously, scripts like the one mentioned below are stop-gaps
that shouldn't be necessary.  But the script might have useful hints
about how to fix the kernel so the script would no longer be needed.

@ 2007-01-26 16:31           ` emisca
From: emisca @ 2007-01-26 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bjorn Helgaas; +Cc: Luming Yu, Alexey Starikovskiy, Pieter De Wit, linux-acpi

I was wrong on that post....
I've found that the initramfs scripts loaded thermal module before
resume from suspend to disk (this is the default behaviuor of debian
based distros). That confused the bios...
That was the only problem.

@ 2007-01-29  9:13   ` Pieter De Wit
From: Pieter De Wit @ 2007-01-29  9:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-acpi

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii, Size: 1484 bytes --]

Hi Guys,

I tried the suggestion below and it didn't seem to change anything - I
even set the same trip points to TZ1. The fans still seem to spin faster
in Linux compared to Windows. Then the other issue is that I can't
switch a fan off once I force it on.

Thanks,

Pieter

@ 2007-01-30 20:22     ` emisca
From: emisca @ 2007-01-30 20:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pieter De Wit; +Cc: linux-acpi

I have noticed that disabling cpu frequency scaling doesn't matter too
much on my core 2 duo processor. On normal usage the temperature is
50° with fixed 1.66mhz and tz4=30 (fan speed), and 45° using
cpufreq-ondemand (tz4=30). This is not a big difference...

2007/1/29, Pieter De Wit <Pieter.DeWit@vodacom.co.za>:
> Hi Guys,
>
> I tried the suggestion below and it didn't seem to change anything - I
> even set the same trip points to TZ1. The fans still seem to spin faster
> in Linux compared to Windows. Then the other issue is that I can't
> switch a fan off once I force it on.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Pieter
>

> Show:
> cat /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/TZ0/trip_points
>
> or change TZ0 to TZ1
>
> For many HP notebooks first trip point is to low. To change manually,
> for example:
>
> echo "105:100:100:78:70:60:50" > /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/TZ0/trip_points
> echo 10  > /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/TZ0/polling_frequency
>
> Then I have:
> maciek@rutek:~$ cat /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/TZ0/trip_points
> critical (S5):           105 C
> active[0]:               78 C: devices=0xcf7aea40
> active[1]:               70 C: devices=0xcf7ae9dc
> active[2]:               60 C: devices=0xcf7ae98c
> active[3]:               50 C: devices=0xcf7ae93c
>
> maciek@rutek:~$ cat /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/TZ0/polling_frequency
> polling frequency:       10 seconds
>
> --
> Maciej Rutecki <maciej.rutecki@gmail.com> http://www.unixy.pl LTG -
> Linux Testers Group
> (http://www.stardust.webpages.pl/ltg/wiki/)
>
> "This e-mail is sent on the Terms and Conditions that can be accessed by Clicking on this link http://www.vodacom.co.za/legal/email.jsp "
> -

-

* Re: Fan speeds on HP nc6400 and nc8430
@ 2007-02-05 18:59           ` Thomas Renninger
From: Thomas Renninger @ 2007-02-05 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bjorn Helgaas
  Cc: Luming Yu, emisca, Alexey Starikovskiy, Pieter De Wit, linux-acpi, dtor

On Wed, 2007-01-24 at 09:54 -0700, Bjorn Helgaas wrote:
> On Tuesday 23 January 2007 21:38, Bjorn Helgaas wrote:
> > >
> > > Where is the hp forums.
> >
> > I don't work on laptops, so I can't confirm this, but Google found
> > this (from "tz4 thermal zone fan speed hp"):
> >
> > http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/questionanswer.do?threadId=1052925
>
> Someone also sent me this, which I'll include in case it helps anybody
> else.  Obviously, scripts like the one mentioned below are stop-gaps
> that shouldn't be necessary.  But the script might have useful hints
> about how to fix the kernel so the script would no longer be needed.
>
> > Take a look at this:
> > http://daniel.graziotin.net/2006/12/02/hp-nx6325-and-friends-thermal-problems-solved this fixed my thermal problem.
> > And make sure you unload the psmouse module during halt/reboot
> > otherwise you have problemes when you start your notebook again.
> > (symptom's: very long BIOS-Boot, ACPI-problems (thermal)..)

I have a patch that should fix the psmouse unload thing (at the end).
Not sure whether it's still needed in 2.6.20-rcX, there was some work
done... it definitely helps on 2.6.18 and 2.6.16 kernels.
Ok, I quickly tried on 2.6.20-rc7 and it seems to work without the
patch.
Maybe Dmitry can comment on that and push this one if still needed?

It's quite difficult to get the overview over the HP problems, as there
are several, some quite weird, and a lot different reports.

I've found out that the psmouse thing really fixes things.

and I got a lot reports that Alexeys patch (and the
unregister_serio_drivers attached) fixes up things:
https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=179702
https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=234475
As this patch broke Linus' machine, I understand that Len is a bit
anxious, but a lot people tested the reworked patch (it's currently in
10.2 and SLE10-SP1 SuSE branches), it would be great if Len can push it
at least for the next kernel cycle...

What is still broken, but patches are available, is fan state after
suspend/resume.

Thanks to Rafael, there is a list of patches that seem to help
(including Alexey's and some others) here:
http://www.sisk.pl/kernel/patches/2.6.20-rc5/

Most of them seem to come from:
http://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=5534
and
http://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=7122

Can someone give an overview about what is already submitted, what is
going to be merged and where/when (-mm, rcX, 2.6.21-rc1, ...).
All kind of comments/review/tests are very welcome...

Some of the patches miss a comment...

Thanks,

    Thomas

Subject: Unregister serio drivers on shutdown
From: Thomas Renninger <trenn@suse.de>

Unproved theory:
It seems that the Embedded Controller needs this at ACPI shutdown time:
    psmouse_set_state(psmouse, PSMOUSE_CMD_MODE);
    psmouse_set_state(psmouse, PSMOUSE_IGNORE);
done in psmouse_disconnect in psmouse module.

If this is not done on shutdown it leads to very strange BIOS/EC behaviour
on latest HP laptops which even survives a reboot (cpufreq cannot reach max
freq, BIOS takes long to boot, etc.). Then the fixed kernel needs to
be booted twice, that machine reaches max freq and behaves normal again.

Ref: http://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=7689
https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=179702

Signed-off-by: Thomas Renninger <trenn@suse.de>

 drivers/input/serio/serio.c |    1 +
 1 files changed, 1 insertion(+)

Index: linux-2.6.19/drivers/input/serio/serio.c
--- linux-2.6.19.orig/drivers/input/serio/serio.c
+++ linux-2.6.19/drivers/input/serio/serio.c
@@ -973,6 +973,7 @@ static struct bus_type serio_bus = {
 	.probe		= serio_driver_probe,
 	.remove		= serio_driver_remove,
 	.resume		= serio_resume,
+	.shutdown	= serio_driver_remove,
 };

 static int __init serio_init(void)

* Re: Fan speeds on HP nc6400 and nc8430
@ 2007-02-05 19:49             ` Dmitry Torokhov
From: Dmitry Torokhov @ 2007-02-05 19:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: trenn
  Cc: Bjorn Helgaas, Luming Yu, emisca, Alexey Starikovskiy,
	Pieter De Wit, linux-acpi

Hi,

On 2/5/07, Thomas Renninger <trenn@suse.de> wrote:
> I have a patch that should fix the psmouse unload thing (at the end).
> Not sure whether it's still needed in 2.6.20-rcX, there was some work
> done... it definitely helps on 2.6.18 and 2.6.16 kernels.
> Ok, I quickly tried on 2.6.20-rc7 and it seems to work without the
> patch.

Just a limited number of boxes seems to have problems...

> Maybe Dmitry can comment on that and push this one if still needed?

I do not like the idea of removing port at shutdown. I will look into
extending psmouse_cleanup so it leaves the port in the same state as
psmouse_disconnect.

--
Dmitry

* Re: Fan speeds on HP nc6400 and nc8430
@ 2007-02-06 11:58             ` Luming Yu
From: Luming Yu @ 2007-02-06 11:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: trenn
  Cc: Bjorn Helgaas, emisca, Alexey Starikovskiy, Pieter De Wit,
	linux-acpi, dtor

I managed to get a HP NX 6330 laptop to test HP laptop related issues
discussed here.
But the bug http://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=7813 seems to
be NOT reproducible on my NX6330. This fact prompt if there are any
essential difference between NX6330 and NC6400. The BIOS of my NX6330
even declares itself is NC6330.

@ 2007-02-06 15:04               ` Peter Clifton
From: Peter Clifton @ 2007-02-06 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luming Yu
  Cc: trenn, Bjorn Helgaas, emisca, Alexey Starikovskiy, Pieter De Wit,
	linux-acpi, dtor

On Tue, 2007-02-06 at 19:58 +0800, Luming Yu wrote:
> I managed to get a HP NX 6330 laptop to test HP laptop related issues
> discussed here.
> But the bug http://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=7813 seems to
> be NOT reproducible on my NX6330. This fact prompt if there are any
> essential difference between NX6330 and NC6400. The BIOS of my NX6330
> even declares itself is NC6330.

I'm not clear on HP's numbering scheme. It doesn't make any obvious
sense to me!

Mine is a nc6320 which exhibits the above bug. The DSDT lists as nc6340
though. That is an Intel Core Duo, with the following lspci output:

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/PM/GMS/940GML and
945GT Express Memory Controller Hub (rev 03)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile
945GM/GMS/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS/940GML
Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High
Definition Audio Controller (rev 01)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express
Port 1 (rev 01)
00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express
Port 3 (rev 01)
00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express
Port 4 (rev 01)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI
#1 (rev 01)
00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI
#2 (rev 01)
00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI
#3 (rev 01)
00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI
#4 (rev 01)
00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB2 EHCI
Controller (rev 01)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev e1)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801GBM (ICH7-M) LPC Interface
Bridge (rev 01)
00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) IDE
Controller (rev 01)
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 82801GBM/GHM (ICH7 Family)
Serial ATA Storage Controller AHCI (rev 01)
02:06.0 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments Unknown device 8039
02:06.1 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Texas Instruments Unknown device 803a
02:06.2 Mass storage controller: Texas Instruments Unknown device 803b
02:06.3 Class 0805: Texas Instruments Unknown device 803c
02:0e.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5788
Gigabit Ethernet (rev 03)
08:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 3945ABG
Network Connection (rev 02)

Peter Clifton

* Re: Fan speeds on HP nc6400 and nc8430
@ 2007-02-09  6:42               ` Dmitry Torokhov
From: Dmitry Torokhov @ 2007-02-09  6:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: trenn
  Cc: Bjorn Helgaas, Luming Yu, emisca, Alexey Starikovskiy,
	Pieter De Wit, linux-acpi

On Monday 05 February 2007 14:49, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 2/5/07, Thomas Renninger <trenn@suse.de> wrote:
> > I have a patch that should fix the psmouse unload thing (at the end).
> > Not sure whether it's still needed in 2.6.20-rcX, there was some work
> > done... it definitely helps on 2.6.18 and 2.6.16 kernels.
> > Ok, I quickly tried on 2.6.20-rc7 and it seems to work without the
> > patch.
>
> Just a limited number of boxes seems to have problems...
>
> > Maybe Dmitry can comment on that and push this one if still needed?
>
> I do not like the idea of removing port at shutdown. I will look into
> extending psmouse_cleanup so it leaves the port in the same state as
> psmouse_disconnect.

Hi,

Could you please try the 2 attached patches and let me know if it improves
suspend and psmouse iteractions.

Thanks!

--
Dmitry

[-- Attachment #2: psmouse-fiddle-with-reset.patch --]
[-- Type: text/x-diff, Size: 2366 bytes --]

Subject: psmouse - properly reset mouse on shutdown/suspend

Input: psmouse - properly reset mouse on shutdown/suspend

Some people report that they need psmouse module unloaded
for suspend to ram/disk to work properly. Let's make port
cleanup behave the same way as driver unload.

Signed-off-by: Dmitry Torokhov <dtor@mail.ru>
---

 drivers/input/mouse/psmouse-base.c |   17 +++++++++++++++++
 drivers/input/mouse/psmouse.h      |    1 +
 drivers/input/mouse/synaptics.c    |    1 +
 3 files changed, 19 insertions(+)

Index: work/drivers/input/mouse/psmouse-base.c
--- work.orig/drivers/input/mouse/psmouse-base.c
+++ work/drivers/input/mouse/psmouse-base.c
@@ -987,8 +987,25 @@ static void psmouse_resync(struct work_s
 static void psmouse_cleanup(struct serio *serio)
 {
 	struct psmouse *psmouse = serio_get_drvdata(serio);
+	struct psmouse *parent = NULL;
+
+	mutex_lock(&psmouse_mutex);
+
+	if (serio->parent && serio->id.type == SERIO_PS_PSTHRU) {
+		parent = serio_get_drvdata(serio->parent);
+		psmouse_deactivate(parent);
+	}

+	psmouse_deactivate(psmouse);
+	if (psmouse->cleanup)
+		psmouse->cleanup(psmouse);
 	psmouse_reset(psmouse);
+	ps2_command(&psmouse->ps2dev, NULL, PSMOUSE_CMD_ENABLE);
+
+	if (parent)
+		psmouse_activate(parent);
+
+	mutex_unlock(&psmouse_mutex);
 }

 /*
Index: work/drivers/input/mouse/psmouse.h
--- work.orig/drivers/input/mouse/psmouse.h
+++ work/drivers/input/mouse/psmouse.h
@@ -68,6 +68,7 @@ struct psmouse {

 	int (*reconnect)(struct psmouse *psmouse);
 	void (*disconnect)(struct psmouse *psmouse);
+	void (*cleanup)(struct psmouse *psmouse);
 	int (*poll)(struct psmouse *psmouse);

 	void (*pt_activate)(struct psmouse *psmouse);
Index: work/drivers/input/mouse/synaptics.c
--- work.orig/drivers/input/mouse/synaptics.c
+++ work/drivers/input/mouse/synaptics.c
@@ -652,6 +652,7 @@ int synaptics_init(struct psmouse *psmou
 	psmouse->set_rate = synaptics_set_rate;
 	psmouse->disconnect = synaptics_disconnect;
 	psmouse->reconnect = synaptics_reconnect;
+	psmouse->cleanup = synaptics_reset;
 	psmouse->pktsize = 6;
 	/* Synaptics can usually stay in sync without extra help */
 	psmouse->resync_time = 0;

[-- Attachment #3: serio-cleanup-to-bus.patch --]
[-- Type: text/x-diff, Size: 3613 bytes --]

Subject: XXX
Signed-off-by: Dmitry Torokhov <dtor@mail.ru>
---

 drivers/input/serio/i8042.c |   30 ++++++------------------------
 drivers/input/serio/serio.c |   25 +++++++++++++++++++++++++
 include/linux/serio.h       |    6 ------

Index: work/drivers/input/serio/i8042.c
--- work.orig/drivers/input/serio/i8042.c
+++ work/drivers/input/serio/i8042.c
@@ -791,27 +791,6 @@ static void i8042_controller_reset(void)

 /*
- * Here we try to reset everything back to a state in which the BIOS will be
- * able to talk to the hardware when rebooting.
- */
-
-static void i8042_controller_cleanup(void)
-{
-	int i;
-
-/*
- * Reset anything that is connected to the ports.
- */
-
-	for (i = 0; i < I8042_NUM_PORTS; i++)
-		if (i8042_ports[i].serio)
-			serio_cleanup(i8042_ports[i].serio);
-
-	i8042_controller_reset();
-}
-
-
-/*
  * i8042_panic_blink() will flash the keyboard LEDs and is called when
  * kernel panics. Flashing LEDs is useful for users running X who may
  * not see the console and will help distingushing panics from "real"
@@ -858,12 +837,15 @@ static long i8042_panic_blink(long count
 #undef DELAY

 /*
- * Here we try to restore the original BIOS settings
+ * Here we try to restore the original BIOS settings. We only want to
+ * do that once, when we really suspend, not when we need to take a
+ * snapshot.
  */

 static int i8042_suspend(struct platform_device *dev, pm_message_t state)
 {
-	i8042_controller_cleanup();
+	if (state.event == PM_EVENT_SUSPEND)
+		i8042_controller_reset();

 	return 0;
 }
@@ -919,7 +901,7 @@ static int i8042_resume(struct platform_

 static void i8042_shutdown(struct platform_device *dev)
 {
-	i8042_controller_cleanup();
+	i8042_controller_reset();
 }

 static int __devinit i8042_create_kbd_port(void)
Index: work/drivers/input/serio/serio.c
--- work.orig/drivers/input/serio/serio.c
+++ work/drivers/input/serio/serio.c
@@ -778,6 +778,19 @@ static int serio_driver_remove(struct de
 	return 0;
 }

+static void serio_cleanup(struct serio *serio)
+{
+	if (serio->drv && serio->drv->cleanup)
+		serio->drv->cleanup(serio);
+}
+
+static void serio_shutdown(struct device *dev)
+{
+	struct serio *serio = to_serio_port(dev);
+
+	serio_cleanup(serio);
+}
+
 static void serio_attach_driver(struct serio_driver *drv)
 {
 	int error;
@@ -910,6 +923,16 @@ static int serio_uevent(struct device *d

 #endif /* CONFIG_HOTPLUG */

+static int serio_suspend(struct device *dev, pm_message_t state)
+{
+	struct serio *serio = to_serio_port(dev);
+
+	if (state.event == PM_EVENT_SUSPEND)
+		serio_cleanup(serio);
+
+	return 0;
+}
+
 static int serio_resume(struct device *dev)
 {
 	struct serio *serio = to_serio_port(dev);
@@ -974,6 +997,8 @@ static struct bus_type serio_bus = {
 	.uevent		= serio_uevent,
 	.probe		= serio_driver_probe,
 	.remove		= serio_driver_remove,
+	.shutdown	= serio_shutdown,
+	.suspend	= serio_suspend,
 	.resume		= serio_resume,
 };

Index: work/include/linux/serio.h
--- work.orig/include/linux/serio.h
+++ work/include/linux/serio.h
@@ -108,12 +108,6 @@ static inline void serio_drv_write_wakeu
 		serio->drv->write_wakeup(serio);
 }

-static inline void serio_cleanup(struct serio *serio)
-{
-	if (serio->drv && serio->drv->cleanup)
-		serio->drv->cleanup(serio);
-}
-
 /*
  * Use the following functions to manipulate serio's per-port
  * driver-specific data.

* Re: Fan speeds on HP nc6400 and nc8430
@ 2007-02-10 10:37                 ` Rafael J. Wysocki
From: Rafael J. Wysocki @ 2007-02-10 10:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dmitry Torokhov
  Cc: trenn, Bjorn Helgaas, Luming Yu, emisca, Alexey Starikovskiy,
	Pieter De Wit, linux-acpi

Hi,

On Friday, 9 February 2007 07:42, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
> On Monday 05 February 2007 14:49, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On 2/5/07, Thomas Renninger <trenn@suse.de> wrote:
> > > I have a patch that should fix the psmouse unload thing (at the end).
> > > Not sure whether it's still needed in 2.6.20-rcX, there was some work
> > > done... it definitely helps on 2.6.18 and 2.6.16 kernels.
> > > Ok, I quickly tried on 2.6.20-rc7 and it seems to work without the
> > > patch.
> >
> > Just a limited number of boxes seems to have problems...
> >
> > > Maybe Dmitry can comment on that and push this one if still needed?
> >
> > I do not like the idea of removing port at shutdown. I will look into
> > extending psmouse_cleanup so it leaves the port in the same state as
> > psmouse_disconnect.
> >

> Hi,
>
> Could you please try the 2 attached patches and let me know if it improves
> suspend and psmouse iteractions.

On my box (nx6325) it does.  Apparenly, with these two patches applied I don't
need to unload psmouse before the suspend so that the power management works
after the resume. :-)

I'll be testing it a bit more today anyway.

Greetings,
Rafael

* Re: Fan speeds on HP nc6400 and nc8430
@ 2007-03-04 16:56                   ` emisca
From: emisca @ 2007-03-04 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: linux-acpi

At what kernel are targeted these patches? I have an nx7400, and the
same psmouse problems.... I would like to test them..

@ 2007-03-05 14:46                     ` Dmitry Torokhov
From: Dmitry Torokhov @ 2007-03-05 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emisca; +Cc: linux-acpi

On 3/4/07, emisca <emisca.ml@gmail.com> wrote:
> At what kernel are targeted these patches? I have an nx7400, and the
> same psmouse problems.... I would like to test them..

Please try 2.6.21-rc2 - the patches are included there.

--
Dmitry

* Re: Fan speeds on HP nc6400 and nc8430
@ 2007-01-19  8:14 ` Luming Yu
From: Luming Yu @ 2007-01-19  8:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pieter De Wit; +Cc: linux-acpi

@ 2007-01-19  7:50 Pieter De Wit