* [linux-lvm] How to extend the file system online?
@ 2004-10-09  9:58 Rocty Wang
From: Rocty Wang @ 2004-10-09  9:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-lvm

Hi, all,

    After I used LVM2 to create PV, VG, LV on the attached storage

disks, I want to format logical volume as a file system and

possibly extend the file system of LV online. But when I prefer to

"ext3" file system, I find the tool "resize2fs" only can resize

ext3 file system offline.

    OS: Linux Fedora Core2(kernel 2.6.7-1.494.2.2smp)

    LVM version: 2.00.15(2004-04-19)

    Library version: 1.00.14-ioctl(2004-04-06)

    Driver version: 4.1.0

    Operations:

    pvcreate /dev/sda

    pvcreate /dev/sdb

    vgcreate vg1 /dev/sda /dev/sdb

    lvcreate -L 100G -n lv1 vg1

    mke2fs /dev/vg1/lv1

    mount /dev/vg1/lv1 /mnt

    lvextend -L +50G /dev/vg1/lv1

    Then I used "resize2fs" tool to extend file system, but failed.

I know it must be done when "umount" the lv1.

    If another tool can finish that running under Linux?

    Or if any other file system can be mounted and resized online under
Linux?

XFS? I don't know.

Anyone can help me? Thanks!

Rocty Wang

2004-10-09

* Re: [linux-lvm] How to extend the file system online?
@ 2004-10-11 13:56 ` Arshavir Grigorian
From: Arshavir Grigorian @ 2004-10-11 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: LVM general discussion and development

Rocty Wang wrote:

> Hi, all,
>
> After I used LVM2 to create PV, VG, LV on the attached storage
>
> disks, I want to format logical volume as a file system and
>
> possibly extend the file system of LV online. But when I prefer to
>
> “ext3” file system, I find the tool “resize2fs” only can resize
>
> ext3 file system offline.
>
> OS: Linux Fedora Core2(kernel 2.6.7-1.494.2.2smp)
>
> LVM version: 2.00.15(2004-04-19)
>
> Library version: 1.00.14-ioctl(2004-04-06)
>
> Driver version: 4.1.0
>
> Operations:
>
> pvcreate /dev/sda
>
> pvcreate /dev/sdb
>
> vgcreate vg1 /dev/sda /dev/sdb
>
> lvcreate –L 100G –n lv1 vg1
>
> mke2fs /dev/vg1/lv1
>
> mount /dev/vg1/lv1 /mnt
>
> lvextend –L +50G /dev/vg1/lv1
>
> Then I used “resize2fs” tool to extend file system, but failed.
>
> I know it must be done when “umount” the lv1.
>
> If another tool can finish that running under Linux?
>
> Or if any other file system can be mounted and resized online under
> Linux?
>
> XFS? I don’t know.
>
> Anyone can help me? Thanks!
>
> Rocty Wang
>
> 2004-10-09

You can try ReiserFS, which does allow to be resized while mounted.
--Arshavir

* Re: [linux-lvm] How to extend the file system online?
@ 2004-10-11 14:40   ` Rickard Olsson
From: Rickard Olsson @ 2004-10-11 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: LVM general discussion and development

Arshavir Grigorian wrote:

> You can try ReiserFS, which does allow to be resized while mounted.

Additional comments:

ReiserFS 3 can be enlarged while mounted, but shrunk only when unmounted.

ReiserFS 4 can not yet be resized at all.

EXT2/3 can be enlarged online with a kernel patch and utils from
http://ext2resize.sourceforge.net/

XFS must be mounted while enlarging but can AFAIK not be shrunk, even
off-line.

JFS must be mounted while enlarging but can not be shrunk, same as XFS.

Some more info is in the HOW-TO:
http://linux.co.uk/howtos/LVM-HOWTO/extendlv.html

and on Newsforge:
http://www.newsforge.com/os/03/10/07/2028234.shtml?tid=2&tid=82&tid=94

    / Rickard Olsson,IT-Konsult/
   / Telefon: +46 70 635 01 42/
  / http://www.webhackande.se/

* [linux-lvm] [Debian/Knoppix] LVM2 at boot time
@ 2004-10-11 17:32     ` Laurent Bloch
From: Laurent Bloch @ 2004-10-11 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: LVM general discussion and development

Hi,

My system is Knoppix 3.6 with 2.6.7 kernel and LVM2. My /home
and /usr/local file systems are on logical volumes. The lvm
script is in /etc/init.d, with a link in /etc/rcS.d, S26lvm
(mountall has a greater number). dm-mod is in /etc/modules

At boot time, everything stops; I have to type "modprobe dm-mod",
<Ctrl-D>, and everything is OK. What's wrong with my boot config.?
Any hint appreciated.

--
Laurent Bloch -- lbloch@noos.fr -- http://laurent-bloch.org