* Multiple client VPN - where to put conntrack?
@ 2004-11-08 22:43 Lists account
From: Lists account @ 2004-11-08 22:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netfilter

Hi there,

This may be a very stupid question, but I haven't found the information
anywhere, so here goes - I have a working VPN client-server set-up that
works through an iptables masquerading NAT configuration but only for
one client at a time - and I need to expand it. The VPN is:
- Server - running PPTP (poptop) on Redhat 9 connected directly to the
internet via iptables.
- Client(s) - A small network of workstations (Debian, win2k, mac OSX)
connected to the internet with ADSL via a Debian router running iptables
doing NAT. Currently, tunnels are created from the workstations to the
server through the router and internet successfully, but only one
machine can connect at a time and I would like to improve on this.

I understand that I need to install PPTP and GRE connection tracking on
the Debian router...(and here's the silly question...) will the RH9 PPTP
server need conntrack too?

One further question, the ADSL connection at the client end uses PPPoA
with LLC - would it be possible for this to stuff up the connection
tracking or unlikely? And what about PPPoE? Or is it all just completely
dependent on the ISP?

Thanks,

James

* Re: Multiple client VPN - where to put conntrack?
@ 2004-11-10 10:59 ` James Cooke
From: James Cooke @ 2004-11-10 10:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netfilter

Dear Gary and Tazo,

sorry, thought I'd replied to this already... I had planned to and then
it completely slipped my mind - it was all the excitement of getting the
VPN working with multiple clients! So many thanks, your advice was
really useful.

Tazo - thanks for the heads up on MTU, I shall keep an eye on it. As you
said, conntrack is not needed at the PPTP server end - based on this, we
tested from a new location yesterday and had a couple of connections
running from behind a hardware ADSL router doing NAT (and obviously
connection tracking the tunnels too).

Gary, thanks for the advice. I'm going to compile a fresh kernel for the
Debian router doing the NAT so that it can connection track the tunnels
and we can have multiple connections from the office too.

All the best and thanks again,

James

@ 2004-11-10  4:18 Gary W. Smith

@ 2004-11-09  4:10 Gary W. Smith
From: Gary W. Smith @ 2004-11-09  4:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lists account, netfilter

You need to add pptp-conntrack to your kernel (requiring a recompile).

I followed the instructions for pptp-client kernel compile as well as
added a few of the options patch-o-matic options while I was there
(killing two birds with one stone).

Gary