* IPv6 bridging
@ 2004-12-02 17:58 Zoltan NAGY
From: Zoltan NAGY @ 2004-12-02 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hello!

Is it possible to bridge ip tunnels (IPv6 in IPv4)? brctl gives me an
error "Invalid argument",
and from strace it seems it misses some ioctls from kernel...

any ideas?

I need it to be able to give my UMLs a public ipv6 address.

Regrads,

Zoltan NAGY,
Software Engineer

* Re: IPv6 bridging
@ 2004-12-03  9:07 ` Lennert Buytenhek
From: Lennert Buytenhek @ 2004-12-03  9:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zoltan NAGY; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Thu, Dec 02, 2004 at 06:58:47PM +0100, Zoltan NAGY wrote:

> Hello!

Hello!

> Is it possible to bridge ip tunnels (IPv6 in IPv4)? brctl gives me an
> error "Invalid argument",
> and from strace it seems it misses some ioctls from kernel...

Uhm.  The only things you can bridge together are ethernet devices.
An IP tunnel is not an ethernet device, is it?  This requirement is
there because the bridge just fowards ethernet frames, and knows
nothing about doing neighbour resolution (ARP) to get the right MAC
address, etc.

You might want to fiddle something with proxy ARP.

--L

* Re: IPv6 bridging
@ 2004-12-03  0:45 ` Stephen Hemminger
From: Stephen Hemminger @ 2004-12-03  0:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zoltan NAGY; +Cc: linux-kernel, bridge

On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 18:58:47 +0100
Zoltan NAGY <nagyz@nefty.hu> wrote:

> Hello!
>
> Is it possible to bridge ip tunnels (IPv6 in IPv4)? brctl gives me an
> error "Invalid argument",
> and from strace it seems it misses some ioctls from kernel...

That is because the bridge code works at the Ethernet level.
It is an 802 Ethernet bridge, not an IP tunnel.

> any ideas?
>
> I need it to be able to give my UMLs a public ipv6 address.
>
> Regrads,
>
> Zoltan NAGY,
> Software Engineer
>
> -