* [Bluez-users] l2cap retransmission
@ 2004-12-17 13:48 Manjunath Prabhu
From: Manjunath Prabhu @ 2004-12-17 13:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bluez-users

Hi marcel,
in l2test suppose a data mismatch or error occurs, are the packets
retransmitted???? if yes, can we watch the packet retransmission in
hcidump......

i have been able to see some data and sequence mismatch packets  and
the connection was not brought down....so i assume that retransmission
must have taken place.....

regards,
manjunath

* Re: [Bluez-users] passive inquiry
@ 2004-12-17 14:18 ` Paolino paperino
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Paolino paperino @ 2004-12-17 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bluez-users

Hi,
i want to know if it is possible to make a "passive
inquiry", i explain better, a device A do an inquiry
no find their neighbours, it is possible for a device
B (in the reachability field) to know that was
inquiried by device A? The applican can receive an
event each time the device is inquiried?

Thank's a lot
Andrea S.

* Re: [Bluez-users] passive inquiry
@ 2004-12-17 14:24   ` Marcel Holtmann
From: Marcel Holtmann @ 2004-12-17 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Andrea,

> i want to know if it is possible to make a "passive
> inquiry", i explain better, a device A do an inquiry
> no find their neighbours, it is possible for a device
> B (in the reachability field) to know that was
> inquiried by device A? The applican can receive an
> event each time the device is inquiried?

I am going to feel stupid. The answer is no (as before).

Regards

Marcel

* Re: [Bluez-users] l2cap retransmission
@ 2004-12-17 14:26 ` Marcel Holtmann
From: Marcel Holtmann @ 2004-12-17 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Manjunath,

> in l2test suppose a data mismatch or error occurs, are the packets
> retransmitted???? if yes, can we watch the packet retransmission in
> hcidump......

use the source, Luke ;)

The L2CAP layer is reliable and so there can't be an error. But if there
is a retransmission you will see it with hcidump.

> i have been able to see some data and sequence mismatch packets  and
> the connection was not brought down....so i assume that retransmission
> must have taken place.....

You know that l2test is a test program, do you?

Regards

Marcel

* Re: [Bluez-users] passive inquiry
@ 2004-12-17 14:30   ` Peter Stephenson
From: Peter Stephenson @ 2004-12-17 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bluez-users

Paolino paperino wrote:
> Hi,
> i want to know if it is possible to make a "passive
> inquiry", i explain better, a device A do an inquiry
> no find their neighbours, it is possible for a device
> B (in the reachability field) to know that was
> inquiried by device A? The applican can receive an
> event each time the device is inquiried?

No, unfortunately that can't work with an ordinary inquiry.
The device which is scanning only receives an ID packet, which
contains no information about the sender.

There are moves afoot to add more flexible forms of inquiry to
the specification, but that hasn't happened yet.

pws

the system manager.

www.mimesweeper.com

* Re: [Bluez-users] passive inquiry
@ 2004-12-17 14:34   ` Fred Schaettgen
From: Fred Schaettgen @ 2004-12-17 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bluez-users

On Friday 17 December 2004 15:18, Paolino paperino wrote:
> Hi,
> i want to know if it is possible to make a "passive
> inquiry", i explain better, a device A do an inquiry
> no find their neighbours, it is possible for a device
> B (in the reachability field) to know that was
> inquiried by device A? The applican can receive an
> event each time the device is inquiried?

No, that is not possible in general.
The bluetooth chip responds to the inquiry without generating any HCI events.
You can see SDP requests, since those are handled by the Bluetooth stack, but
that won't help you much I guess. Maybe there are vendor-specific commands to
make that possible, but I don't know about any.

Fred

--
Fred Schaettgen
bluez-devel@schaettgen.de

* Re: [Bluez-users] passive inquiry
@ 2004-12-17 14:53     ` Steven Singer
From: Steven Singer @ 2004-12-17 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bluez-users

Fred Schaettgen wrote:
> On Friday 17 December 2004 15:18, Paolino paperino wrote:
>> Hi,
>> i want to know if it is possible to make a "passive
>> inquiry", i explain better, a device A do an inquiry
>> no find their neighbours, it is possible for a device
>> B (in the reachability field) to know that was
>> inquiried by device A? The applican can receive an
>> event each time the device is inquiried?
>
> No, that is not possible in general.
> The bluetooth chip responds to the inquiry without generating any HCI events.
> You can see SDP requests, since those are handled by the Bluetooth stack, but
> that won't help you much I guess. Maybe there are vendor-specific commands to
> make that possible, but I don't know about any.

No, even vendor specific commands don't help. In the inquiry procedure
at the baseband no identity information flows from the inquirer to the
scanner. The only thing the scanner can tell is that somebody has
inquired.

As an analogy, inquiry works like this. The inquirer sends out a
message which means "Can anybody who can hear me identify themselves"
and gets responses like "I heard you, I'm 0x123456789abc and I'm a
headset". Hence, the inquirer knows the identity of the devices that
have responded but the scanners gets nothing from the inquirer.

Future changes to the inquiry spec might allow extra information to
be passed from the scanner to the inquirer, but not from the inquirer
to the scanner.

If the scanner responds to the inquirer and then the inquirer follows
it up with a remote name request or an HCI level connection then at that
point the inquirer reveals its address. In the former case, the
information is available at the baseband, but is not passed up to the
host. In the latter case, the host is informed of the address of the
device that has connected.

However, completely passive identification, as you describe, is not
possible.

	- Steven

the system manager.

www.mimesweeper.com

* Re: [Bluez-users] passive inquiry
@ 2005-03-02 13:57       ` Paolino paperino
From: Paolino paperino @ 2005-03-02 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bluez-users

Hi,
I'm using BLuez under my linux laptop and writed a
java native lib that use Bluez, now i would to port
the software under Zaurus...i've a question, do know
where i could find a precompiled toolchain for cross
compiling for the Zaurus? And can i use it?
 Andrea S.

* Re: [Bluez-users] passive inquiry
@ 2005-03-02 16:21         ` Stephen Crane
From: Stephen Crane @ 2005-03-02 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)