All of lore.kernel.org
 help / color / mirror / Atom feed
From: Arnd Bergmann <arnd@arndb.de>
To: Steve French <smfrench@gmail.com>
Cc: David Howells <dhowells@redhat.com>,
	linux-fsdevel <linux-fsdevel@vger.kernel.org>,
	linux-afs@vger.kernel.org,
	"linux-nfs@vger.kernel.org" <linux-nfs@vger.kernel.org>,
	samba-technical <samba-technical@lists.samba.org>,
	LKML <linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org>,
	"linux-ext4@vger.kernel.org" <linux-ext4@vger.kernel.org>,
	Deepa Dinamani <deepa.kernel@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [RFC][PATCH 0/6] Enhanced file stat system call
Date: Mon, 09 May 2016 15:09:04 +0200	[thread overview]
Message-ID: <4211584.odaTcq8sN6@wuerfel> (raw)
In-Reply-To: <CAH2r5muL336k178DJHxKByfbGMMc=_m5jsCctgRQCc1H+SRSQg@mail.gmail.com>

On Thursday 05 May 2016 21:00:18 Steve French wrote:
> On Thu, May 5, 2016 at 5:54 PM, Steve French <smfrench@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, May 4, 2016 at 8:46 AM, Arnd Bergmann <arnd@arndb.de> wrote:
> >> On Friday 29 April 2016 13:57:36 David Howells wrote:
> >>> struct statx *buffer);
> >>>
> >>> This is an enhanced file stat function that provides a number of useful
> >>> features, in summary:
> >>>
> >>> (1) More information: creation time, data version number, inode
> >>> generation
> >>> number and flags. A subset of these is available through a number of
> >>> filesystems (such as CIFS, NFS, AFS, Ext4 and BTRFS).
> >>>
> >>
> >> I have a question about birthtime/creationtime: As we are gaining a way
> >> to read this, should we also provide a way to update it using a new
> >> variant
> >> of the utimensat syscall in order to have 'cp -a' create an identical
> >> copy,
> >> or is the idea that this is defined as the time that is particular copy
> >> of the inode was created?
> >>
> >> I've discussed this with Deepa in the past, as she is driving the
> >> convertion of the inode timestamps to timespec64 now, and we will
> >> need a new version of utimensat for her work as well. I can see good
> >> reasons either way (allowing updates of btime or disallowing them).
> >
> It would help interop with Windows (and presumably Mac) if birth time can be
> updated

Ok, thanks. That is certainly a good reason in favor.

If nothing else comes up, I guess we can prepare a patch for a new
utimensat variant to do this and wait for more comments on that.

	Arnd

WARNING: multiple messages have this Message-ID
From: Arnd Bergmann <arnd-r2nGTMty4D4@public.gmane.org>
To: Steve French <smfrench-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
Cc: David Howells <dhowells-H+wXaHxf7aLQT0dZR+AlfA@public.gmane.org>,
	linux-fsdevel
	<linux-fsdevel-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA@public.gmane.org>,
	linux-afs-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA@public.gmane.org,
	"linux-nfs-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA@public.gmane.org"
	<linux-nfs-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA@public.gmane.org>,
	samba-technical
	<samba-technical-w/Ol4Ecudpl8XjKLYN78aQ@public.gmane.org>,
	LKML <linux-kernel-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA@public.gmane.org>,
	"linux-ext4-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA@public.gmane.org"
	<linux-ext4-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA@public.gmane.org>,
	Deepa Dinamani
	<deepa.kernel-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
Subject: Re: [RFC][PATCH 0/6] Enhanced file stat system call
Date: Mon, 09 May 2016 15:09:04 +0200	[thread overview]
Message-ID: <4211584.odaTcq8sN6@wuerfel> (raw)
In-Reply-To: <CAH2r5muL336k178DJHxKByfbGMMc=_m5jsCctgRQCc1H+SRSQg-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>

On Thursday 05 May 2016 21:00:18 Steve French wrote:
> On Thu, May 5, 2016 at 5:54 PM, Steve French <smfrench-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> > On Wed, May 4, 2016 at 8:46 AM, Arnd Bergmann <arnd-r2nGTMty4D4@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> >> On Friday 29 April 2016 13:57:36 David Howells wrote:
> >>> struct statx *buffer);
> >>>
> >>> This is an enhanced file stat function that provides a number of useful
> >>> features, in summary:
> >>>
> >>> (1) More information: creation time, data version number, inode
> >>> generation
> >>> number and flags. A subset of these is available through a number of
> >>> filesystems (such as CIFS, NFS, AFS, Ext4 and BTRFS).
> >>>
> >>
> >> I have a question about birthtime/creationtime: As we are gaining a way
> >> to read this, should we also provide a way to update it using a new
> >> variant
> >> of the utimensat syscall in order to have 'cp -a' create an identical
> >> copy,
> >> or is the idea that this is defined as the time that is particular copy
> >> of the inode was created?
> >>
> >> I've discussed this with Deepa in the past, as she is driving the
> >> convertion of the inode timestamps to timespec64 now, and we will
> >> need a new version of utimensat for her work as well. I can see good
> >> reasons either way (allowing updates of btime or disallowing them).
> >
> It would help interop with Windows (and presumably Mac) if birth time can be
> updated

Ok, thanks. That is certainly a good reason in favor.

If nothing else comes up, I guess we can prepare a patch for a new
utimensat variant to do this and wait for more comments on that.

	Arnd
--
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-nfs" in
the body of a message to majordomo-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA@public.gmane.org
More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html

  reply	other threads:[~2016-05-09 13:09 UTC|newest]

Thread overview: 76+ messages / expand[flat|nested]  mbox.gz  Atom feed  top
2016-04-29 12:57 David Howells
2016-04-29 12:57 ` [PATCH 1/6] statx: Add a system call to make enhanced file info available David Howells
2016-05-02 22:46   ` Andreas Dilger
2016-05-02 22:46     ` Andreas Dilger
2016-05-03 15:53   ` David Howells
2016-05-04 22:56   ` Dave Chinner
2016-05-05  0:09     ` NeilBrown
2016-05-05  0:09       ` NeilBrown
2016-05-05 19:48       ` Jeff Layton
2016-05-06 18:07         ` J. Bruce Fields
2016-05-06 18:07           ` J. Bruce Fields
2016-05-05 20:04       ` David Howells
2016-05-05 20:04         ` David Howells
2016-05-06  1:39         ` Dave Chinner
2016-05-06  1:39           ` Dave Chinner
2016-05-06  1:39           ` Dave Chinner
2016-05-06 18:29     ` J. Bruce Fields
2016-05-09  1:45       ` Dave Chinner
2016-05-09  2:46         ` J. Bruce Fields
2016-05-04 23:56   ` NeilBrown
2016-05-08  8:35   ` Christoph Hellwig
2016-05-08  8:35     ` Christoph Hellwig
2016-05-09 12:02     ` Jeff Layton
2016-05-09 12:02       ` Jeff Layton
2016-05-10  7:00       ` Christoph Hellwig
2016-05-10  7:00         ` Christoph Hellwig
2016-05-10 13:21         ` Jeff Layton
2016-05-10 13:21           ` Jeff Layton
2016-05-09 12:57   ` David Howells
2016-05-09 12:57     ` David Howells
2016-05-09 13:23     ` Trond Myklebust
2016-05-09 13:23       ` Trond Myklebust
2016-05-09 13:23       ` Trond Myklebust
2016-05-10  7:04     ` Christoph Hellwig
2016-05-10  8:25     ` David Howells
2016-05-12  9:11       ` Christoph Hellwig
2016-05-13 15:28         ` Arnd Bergmann
2016-05-13 15:28           ` Arnd Bergmann
2016-05-23  8:22           ` Christoph Hellwig
2016-05-23  9:33           ` David Howells
2016-05-18 10:55         ` David Howells
2016-05-09 13:00   ` David Howells
2016-05-09 13:00     ` David Howells
2016-05-09 13:38   ` David Howells
2016-05-10  7:08     ` Christoph Hellwig
2016-05-10  8:43     ` David Howells
2016-05-12  9:12       ` Christoph Hellwig
2016-05-09 13:40   ` David Howells
2016-04-29 12:57 ` [PATCH 2/6] statx: AFS: Return enhanced file attributes David Howells
2016-04-29 12:57 ` [PATCH 3/6] statx: Ext4: " David Howells
2016-05-02 22:48   ` Andreas Dilger
2016-05-03 20:24   ` David Howells
2016-05-03 20:24     ` David Howells
2016-05-08  8:38   ` Christoph Hellwig
2016-05-08  8:38     ` Christoph Hellwig
2016-04-29 12:58 ` [PATCH 4/6] statx: NFS: " David Howells
2016-05-02 22:48   ` Andreas Dilger
2016-04-29 12:58 ` [PATCH 5/6] statx: Make windows attributes available for CIFS, NTFS and FAT to use David Howells
2016-05-02 22:52   ` Andreas Dilger
2016-10-03 21:03     ` Steve French
2016-10-03 21:03       ` Steve French
2016-05-03 20:23   ` David Howells
2016-05-08  8:39   ` Christoph Hellwig
2016-05-08  8:39     ` Christoph Hellwig
2016-04-29 12:58 ` [PATCH 6/6] statx: CIFS: Return enhanced attributes David Howells
2016-04-30 21:05 ` [RFC][PATCH 0/6] Enhanced file stat system call Jeff Layton
2016-04-30 21:05   ` Jeff Layton
2016-05-04 13:46 ` Arnd Bergmann
2016-05-04 13:46   ` Arnd Bergmann
2016-05-05 22:54   ` Steve French
2016-05-06  2:00     ` Steve French
2016-05-09 13:09       ` Arnd Bergmann [this message]
2016-05-09 13:09         ` Arnd Bergmann
2016-05-13 14:28         ` Richard Sharpe
2016-05-13 14:28           ` Richard Sharpe
2016-05-13 15:08           ` Arnd Bergmann

Reply instructions:

You may reply publicly to this message via plain-text email
using any one of the following methods:

* Save the following mbox file, import it into your mail client,
  and reply-to-all from there: mbox

  Avoid top-posting and favor interleaved quoting:
  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style#Interleaved_style

* Reply using the --to, --cc, and --in-reply-to
  switches of git-send-email(1):

  git send-email \
    --in-reply-to=4211584.odaTcq8sN6@wuerfel \
    --to=arnd@arndb.de \
    --cc=deepa.kernel@gmail.com \
    --cc=dhowells@redhat.com \
    --cc=linux-afs@vger.kernel.org \
    --cc=linux-ext4@vger.kernel.org \
    --cc=linux-fsdevel@vger.kernel.org \
    --cc=linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org \
    --cc=linux-nfs@vger.kernel.org \
    --cc=samba-technical@lists.samba.org \
    --cc=smfrench@gmail.com \
    --subject='Re: [RFC][PATCH 0/6] Enhanced file stat system call' \
    /path/to/YOUR_REPLY

  https://kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/git-send-email.html

* If your mail client supports setting the In-Reply-To header
  via mailto: links, try the mailto: link

This is an external index of several public inboxes,
see mirroring instructions on how to clone and mirror
all data and code used by this external index.