* arm yocto-linux custom defconfig not working
@ 2019-06-06 13:37 Pierluigi Greto
From: Pierluigi Greto @ 2019-06-06 13:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

I have to create a custom 4.14.49 linux kernel. In my recipe I have
added my defconfig
<https://github.com/opencomputeproject/OpenNetworkLinux/blob/master/packages/base/any/kernels/4.14-lts/configs/armel-iproc-all/armel-iproc-all.config>,
but yocto it's not taking in consideration the defconfig. Instead it's
building the kernel using the default values. Also the compilation task
is to fast for building the kernel. My target system is an arm
architecture (DEFAULTTUNE ?= "cortexa9").
I have tried also to append this on my recipe but the result does not
change:

do_compile_prepend() {
      cp ${WORKDIR}/defconfig ${B}/defconfig
      cp ${WORKDIR}/defconfig ${B}/.config
      oe_runmake -C ${B} ARCH=${ARCH} ${S}/defconfig
}

If i try to "cheat" and add cp ${WORKDIR}/defconfig ${S}/.config on the
do_compile_prependobviously make will not work: "kernel-source is not
clean, please run 'make mrprop' ".

Any suggestions is very welcome.

Thank you,
Pierluigi

* Re: arm yocto-linux custom defconfig not working
@ 2019-06-06 13:47 ` Bruce Ashfield
From: Bruce Ashfield @ 2019-06-06 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierluigi Greto; +Cc: Yocto Project Discussion

On Thu, Jun 6, 2019 at 9:38 AM Pierluigi Greto <pierluigi.greto@bisdn.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have to create a custom 4.14.49 linux kernel. In my recipe I have added my defconfig, but yocto it's not taking in consideration the defconfig. Instead it's building the kernel using the default values. Also the compilation task is to fast for building the kernel. My target system is an arm architecture (DEFAULTTUNE ?= "cortexa9").
> I have tried also to append this on my recipe but the result does not change:

Can you share your kernel recipe and layer(s) + defconfig ? Things are
working fine for me, but if I can see (and build) your recipes perhaps
something can be spotted.

Bruce

> do_compile_prepend() {
>      cp ${WORKDIR}/defconfig ${B}/defconfig
>      cp ${WORKDIR}/defconfig ${B}/.config
>      oe_runmake -C ${B} ARCH=${ARCH} ${S}/defconfig
> }
>
> If i try to "cheat" and add cp ${WORKDIR}/defconfig ${S}/.config on the do_compile_prepend obviously make will not work: "kernel-source is not clean, please run 'make mrprop' ".
>
> Any suggestions is very welcome.
>
> Thank you,
> Pierluigi

- Thou shalt not follow the NULL pointer, for chaos and madness await
thee at its end
- "Use the force Harry" - Gandalf, Star Trek II

* Re: arm yocto-linux custom defconfig not working
@ 2019-06-06 13:59   ` Gabriele Zampieri
From: Gabriele Zampieri @ 2019-06-06 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierluigi Greto; +Cc: Yocto Project Discussion

Hi Pierluigi,

just to be clear, have you specified your defconfig in the SRC_URI of your
kernel recipe? You can write an append file (that I guess you already did)
and add:

FILESEXTRAPATHS_prepend := "${THISDIR}/files:"
SRC_URI_append= " file://defconfig"

The above snippet assume that you are placing defconfig in files/

Gabriele

@ 2019-06-06 14:06   ` Pierluigi Greto
From: Pierluigi Greto @ 2019-06-06 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bruce Ashfield; +Cc: Yocto Project Discussion

thank you for the reply. In the attahcment the layer for the kernel and
the layer with the machine configurations.

Pierluigi

On 06/06/19 15:47, Bruce Ashfield wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 6, 2019 at 9:38 AM Pierluigi Greto <pierluigi.greto@bisdn.de> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have to create a custom 4.14.49 linux kernel. In my recipe I have added my defconfig, but yocto it's not taking in consideration the defconfig. Instead it's building the kernel using the default values. Also the compilation task is to fast for building the kernel. My target system is an arm architecture (DEFAULTTUNE ?= "cortexa9").
>> I have tried also to append this on my recipe but the result does not change:
> Can you share your kernel recipe and layer(s) + defconfig ? Things are
> working fine for me, but if I can see (and build) your recipes perhaps
> something can be spotted.
>
> Bruce
>
>> do_compile_prepend() {
>>       cp ${WORKDIR}/defconfig ${B}/defconfig
>>       cp ${WORKDIR}/defconfig ${B}/.config
>>       oe_runmake -C ${B} ARCH=${ARCH} ${S}/defconfig
>> }
>>
>> If i try to "cheat" and add cp ${WORKDIR}/defconfig ${S}/.config on the do_compile_prepend obviously make will not work: "kernel-source is not clean, please run 'make mrprop' ".
>>
>> Any suggestions is very welcome.
>>
>> Thank you,
>> Pierluigi
>>
>> --

[-- Attachment #2: meta-open-network-linux.zip --]
[-- Type: application/zip, Size: 247645 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #3: meta-accton-as4610-54.zip --]
[-- Type: application/zip, Size: 1890 bytes --]

* Re: arm yocto-linux custom defconfig not working
@ 2019-06-07  3:10     ` Bruce Ashfield
From: Bruce Ashfield @ 2019-06-07  3:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierluigi Greto; +Cc: Yocto Project Discussion

On Thu, Jun 6, 2019 at 10:06 AM Pierluigi Greto
<pierluigi.greto@bisdn.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> thank you for the reply. In the attahcment the layer for the kernel and
> the layer with the machine configurations.

Thanks for the layers. I was able to pull together a thud build env
and do some tests.

For me, I see the defconfig being used as expected. The key words
there may be "as expected".

How were you determining that the defconfig wasn't being used ?

There are always some minor differences between most defconfigs and
what ends up  the .config due to minor kernel version differences, or
the fact that by default, when a defconfig is fed through the
linux-yocto config process it assumes that the defconfig is fairly
complete and is intended to be a full specification .. as such, it
runs merge config with allnoconfig first, and then applies the
defconfig on top. So if something was perhaps being selected by an
option, or a default configuration was being assumed .. you will see
some minor deltas.

Bruce