* Increasing max supported ide drives to more than 26
@ 2005-04-24 13:15 Tyler
From: Tyler @ 2005-04-24 13:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-ide

I would like to modify my kernel to be able to support more than the
maximum of 26 IDE drives.

Its not that it won't support that many now, but when you have more than
26 drives currently, they start being named things like /dev/hd{
/dev/hd; etc.. instead of like the scsi system where after they roll
past /dev/sdz, they go to /dev/sdaa /dev/sdab, etc.

I've already configured my kernel to allow 20 IDE controllers (2 ports
each), using the MAX_HWIFS in the include/asm-i386/ide.h file.  This
allows all my controllers to be detected/used when linux starts, but the
system doesn't letter the drives properly past /dev/hdz.

The system consists of  2 x onboard channels (4 drives), 4 x highpoint
hpt374 chipset raid cards (not using built-in raid option) which gives
16 ports (32 drives), and optionally, there's also a built-in promise
pdc 20378 (currently unused and disabled in bios, and no drivers in kernel).

The driver that is included in the kernel (2.6.11.7) doesn't use scsi
emulation.. it uses /dev/hdX lettering scheme (is there  a way to tell
it to use scsi emulation / drive lettering), only the driver you
download from highpoint uses scsi emulation and drive lettering.  I
would prefer to have the option of using either the tainted proprietary
driver, or the included kernel driver, and only the drive lettering is
holding me back.. thanks

Tyler.

only message in thread, other threads:[~2005-04-24 13:15 UTC | newest]