* Reiser4 support on parted ...
@ 2005-05-05 11:49 Dr. Giovanni A. Orlando
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Dr. Giovanni A. Orlando @ 2005-05-05 11:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hans Reiser; +Cc: Reiserfs mail-list

Hi Everyone,

    I am looking to know if someone have time to share with me to add
the necessary code
    inside 'parted' to support Reiser4.

    May be 1 or 2 hours per day.

    The reference page is:
       http://www.gnu.org/software/parted/#maillist

    I start to work on it, last September. Of course no money is involved.

    I will need also other people, to test the result.

Thanks,
Giovanni.

Check FT Websites ... http://www.futuretg.com  - ftp://ftp.futuretg.com
http://www.FTLinuxCourse.com
    http://www.FTLinuxCourse.com/Certification
http://www.RPMParadaise.org
http://www.YourPersonalOperatingSystem.com

Mobile: +39 393 665 4239
	Lancelot is back!

* Re: Reiser4 support on parted ...
@ 2005-05-05 15:11 ` Hans Reiser
From: Hans Reiser @ 2005-05-05 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dr. Giovanni A. Orlando; +Cc: Reiserfs mail-list

Dr. Giovanni A. Orlando wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
>    I am looking to know if someone have time to share with me to add
> the necessary code
>    inside 'parted' to support Reiser4.
>
>    May be 1 or 2 hours per day.
>
>    The reference page is:
>       http://www.gnu.org/software/parted/#maillist
>
>    I start to work on it, last September. Of course no money is involved.
>
>    I will need also other people, to test the result.
>
> Thanks,
> Giovanni.

Thanks Giovanni for your contribution of time.

* Re: Reiser4 support on parted ...
@ 2005-05-05 17:41 ` Jander
From: Jander @ 2005-05-05 17:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dr. Giovanni A. Orlando; +Cc: Reiserfs-List

Dr. Giovanni A. Orlando wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
>    I am looking to know if someone have time to share with me to add
> the necessary code
>    inside 'parted' to support Reiser4.
>
>    May be 1 or 2 hours per day.
>
>    The reference page is:
>       http://www.gnu.org/software/parted/#maillist
>
>    I start to work on it, last September. Of course no money is involved.
>
>    I will need also other people, to test the result.
>
> Thanks,
> Giovanni.

I'll be pleased to help in any way I can.

* Re: Reiser4 support on parted ...
@ 2005-05-05 21:01   ` Dr. Giovanni A. Orlando
From: Dr. Giovanni A. Orlando @ 2005-05-05 21:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jander; +Cc: Reiserfs-List

Jander wrote:

>Dr. Giovanni A. Orlando wrote:
>

>>Hi Everyone,
>>
>>   I am looking to know if someone have time to share with me to add
>>the necessary code
>>   inside 'parted' to support Reiser4.
>>
>>   May be 1 or 2 hours per day.
>>
>>   The reference page is:
>>      http://www.gnu.org/software/parted/#maillist
>>
>>   I start to work on it, last September. Of course no money is involved.
>>
>>   I will need also other people, to test the result.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>Giovanni.
>>

>I'll be pleased to help in any way I can.

Great! I prefer to feedback privately, and when completed request help
to reiser community for testing.

@ 2005-05-05 22:10 ` David Masover
From: David Masover @ 2005-05-05 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dr. Giovanni A. Orlando; +Cc: Hans Reiser, Reiserfs mail-list

* Re: Reiser4 support on parted ...
@ 2005-05-05 22:12   ` Andrew Clausen
From: Andrew Clausen @ 2005-05-05 22:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Masover; +Cc: Dr. Giovanni A. Orlando, Hans Reiser, Reiserfs mail-list

On Thu, May 05, 2005 at 05:10:08PM -0500, David Masover wrote:
> To support doing what to Reiser4?
>
> "parted" is a disk management project -- specifically, a way to create,
> delete, and resize partitions.  Think of it as fdisk with nicer units
> and built-in resizefs tools.
>
> This would, I think, involve creating a fully functional
> resizefs.reiser4 -- something I distinctly remember Hans telling me not
> to do, because my approach also created (most of) an online repacker,
> which is something Hans wants to do for money.

It would be possible to implement mkfs and fsck support only.

Cheers,
Andrew

* Re: Reiser4 support on parted ...
@ 2005-05-05 23:05     ` David Masover
From: David Masover @ 2005-05-05 23:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Clausen; +Cc: Dr. Giovanni A. Orlando, Hans Reiser, Reiserfs mail-list

* Re: Reiser4 repackers
@ 2005-05-05 23:31   ` Jonathan Briggs
From: Jonathan Briggs @ 2005-05-05 23:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Masover; +Cc: Dr. Giovanni A. Orlando, Hans Reiser, Reiserfs mail-list

On Thu, 2005-05-05 at 17:10 -0500, David Masover wrote:
> This would, I think, involve creating a fully functional
> resizefs.reiser4 -- something I distinctly remember Hans telling me not
> to do, because my approach also created (most of) an online repacker,
> which is something Hans wants to do for money.

I am not certain this plan to make money from a repacker is going to be
a workable idea.

Reiser4 starts off being very nice and fast, but I have been using it
for a /home partition for almost a year now, and the performance has
dropped significantly.

Once this happens to enough people using Reiser4, one of them is going
to write a free repacker.

Perhaps it would be a good idea to release at least an offline repacker.
--
Jonathan Briggs <jbriggs@esoft.com>
eSoft, Inc.

* Re: Reiser4 support on parted ...
@ 2005-05-06  0:02       ` Andrew Clausen
From: Andrew Clausen @ 2005-05-06  0:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Masover; +Cc: Dr. Giovanni A. Orlando, Hans Reiser, Reiserfs mail-list

On Thu, May 05, 2005 at 06:05:51PM -0500, David Masover wrote:
> Couldn't this just be a wrapper to mkfs.reiser4 and fsck.reiser4?

Almost.

As it stands, libparted can't delegate out I/O to external programs,
because its filesystem API address in terms of disk sectors rather
than partitions.  libparted could be improved to map sectors back
to partitions for external communication, though.
(I wonder if clever use of devicemapper could make this very simple?)

Also, error handling (especially with i18n) could be somewhat painful
with this approach.

Cheers,
Andrew

* Re: Reiser4 support on parted ...
@ 2005-05-06  2:29         ` David Masover
From: David Masover @ 2005-05-06  2:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Clausen; +Cc: Dr. Giovanni A. Orlando, Hans Reiser, Reiserfs mail-list

* Re: Reiser4 repackers
@ 2005-05-06  2:47     ` David Masover
From: David Masover @ 2005-05-06  2:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Briggs; +Cc: Dr. Giovanni A. Orlando, Hans Reiser, Reiserfs mail-list

Jonathan Briggs wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-05-05 at 17:10 -0500, David Masover wrote:
>
>>This would, I think, involve creating a fully functional
>>resizefs.reiser4 -- something I distinctly remember Hans telling me not
>>to do, because my approach also created (most of) an online repacker,
>>which is something Hans wants to do for money.
>

> I am not certain this plan to make money from a repacker is going to be
> a workable idea.
>
> Reiser4 starts off being very nice and fast, but I have been using it
> for a /home partition for almost a year now, and the performance has
> dropped significantly.

Mine is still about as fast as it ever was.  The performance plateaued
(how DO you spell that?) after a month or so.

> Once this happens to enough people using Reiser4, one of them is going
> to write a free repacker.

Like me.  I was making a lot of noise about that on this list some time
ago, until Hans told me to work on something else, and spend some
percentage of storage cost on a repacker.  For me, this would be a fair
price, considering 99% of the software on this box is free.

> Perhaps it would be a good idea to release at least an offline repacker.

To be able to resize.  That is the crucial feature.  Performance isn't
quite so huge, although Hans may start squirming when someone benchmarks
performance before and after a year of normal use -- but asking users to
back up, recreate, and restore -- that's a bit much.

But, looking at the whitepapers, an online repacker seems dead simple,
if you don't mind your box slowing to a crawl.  I can't imagine someone
doing an offline one before the online one.  They even had one that was
close to working, only it got itself into some sort of infinite loop
(not deadlock)...

So basically, unless Namesys does the offline one, someone's probably
going to do an online one.  Not me (yet), but someone.

* Re: Reiser4 repackers
@ 2005-05-06  3:59       ` Andrew Clausen
From: Andrew Clausen @ 2005-05-06  3:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Masover
  Cc: Jonathan Briggs, Dr. Giovanni A. Orlando, Hans Reiser,
	Reiserfs mail-list

On Thu, May 05, 2005 at 09:47:00PM -0500, David Masover wrote:
> > Perhaps it would be a good idea to release at least an offline repacker.
>
> To be able to resize.  That is the crucial feature.  Performance isn't
> quite so huge, although Hans may start squirming when someone benchmarks
> performance before and after a year of normal use -- but asking users to
> back up, recreate, and restore -- that's a bit much.

Are you familiar with convertfs?

	http://members.optusnet.com.au/clausen/ideas/convertfs.txt

Cheers,
Andrew

* Re: Reiser4 repackers
@ 2005-05-06  5:06       ` Hans Reiser
From: Hans Reiser @ 2005-05-06  5:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Masover
  Cc: Jonathan Briggs, Dr. Giovanni A. Orlando, Reiserfs mail-list

I think someone is going to pay us to write the online repacker in the
very near future, though I can't say their name.

Giovanni, if by parted support you mean that you are going to write a
resizer (and now that I take a moment to remember what parted does it
seems certain you do mean that), I wish you would not.  We are so
amazing far in debt right now....

Hans

* Re: Reiser4 support on parted ...
@ 2005-05-06  6:19       ` Alex Zarochentsev
From: Alex Zarochentsev @ 2005-05-06  6:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Masover
  Cc: Andrew Clausen, Dr. Giovanni A. Orlando, Hans Reiser, Reiserfs mail-list

On Thu, May 05, 2005 at 06:05:51PM -0500, David Masover wrote:

> Andrew Clausen wrote:
> > On Thu, May 05, 2005 at 05:10:08PM -0500, David Masover wrote:
> >
> >>To support doing what to Reiser4?
> >>
> >>"parted" is a disk management project -- specifically, a way to create,
> >>delete, and resize partitions.  Think of it as fdisk with nicer units
> >>and built-in resizefs tools.
> >>
> >>This would, I think, involve creating a fully functional
> >>resizefs.reiser4 -- something I distinctly remember Hans telling me not
> >>to do, because my approach also created (most of) an online repacker,
> >>which is something Hans wants to do for money.
> >

> > It would be possible to implement mkfs and fsck support only.
>
> Couldn't this just be a wrapper to mkfs.reiser4 and fsck.reiser4?

libreiser4 was designed to support embedding into parted easily.  The AAL lib
provides block device abstraction layer which is needed in parted.

--
Alex.

* Re: Reiser4 support on parted ...
@ 2005-05-06  9:31         ` Dr. Giovanni A. Orlando
From: Dr. Giovanni A. Orlando @ 2005-05-06  9:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hans Reiser; +Cc: David Masover, Andrew Clausen, Reiserfs mail-list

Hans Reiser wrote:

>I think someone is going to pay us to write the online repacker in the
>very near future, though I can't say their name.
>
>Giovanni, if by parted support you mean that you are going to write a
>resizer (and now that I take a moment to remember what parted does it
>seems certain you do mean that), I wish you would not.  We are so
>amazing far in debt right now....

Hi,

    It is important to fix some points to clarify.

    At first, "parted" is a binary that interact with the "libparted"
library to run
    some features about partitions, like:
       * mkfs
       * fsck
       * cp
       * mv
       * resize
       * and others.

    Actually, parted have zero support for Reiser4.

    Why we need Reiser4 support inside parted?

    We need that parted support Reiser4, because our installer actualy a
hacked version of RedHat anaconda
    uses pyparted that need parted to create the partitions on the FS on
a new installation.
    (Therefore also RH people and Linux distro that uses anaconda, like
YellowDog will benefit for this code).

    Therefore, we don't need to resize Reiser4 partitions actually.

    The necessary code is not necessarely complicated, because libraries
are well written.
    However, I need to understant how Reiser4 do jobs like fsck and mkfs
and this code
    cannot be a simple or equivalent (system("mkfs.reiser4")).

    It is necessary to use the parted API to do that.

    FTOSX 2004 includes "reiser4" packages, including "libaal", from Sep
2004.
    (Check ftp://ftp.futuretg.com/pub/FTOSX/FTOSX_Desktop_2004/i386/SRPMS)

    I create some directories, one for parted 1.6.15 (my hacked version)
and another for (1.6.22), latest one.

    People that want to know more about the internal of this code, can
browse:

ftp://ftp.futuretg.com/pub/Projects/parted+Reiser4/Actual_without_support/parted-1.6.15/doc/TUTORIAL

    I need to update around 111 chapters in six courses, and therefore I
will dedicate only 1/2 hours per day to move on
    on this matter.

@ 2005-05-06 12:26           ` Hans Reiser
From: Hans Reiser @ 2005-05-06 12:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dr. Giovanni A. Orlando; +Cc: David Masover, Andrew Clausen, Reiserfs mail-list

Dr. Giovanni A. Orlando wrote:

> Hans Reiser wrote:
>
>> I think someone is going to pay us to write the online repacker in the
>> very near future, though I can't say their name.
>>
>> Giovanni, if by parted support you mean that you are going to write a
>> resizer (and now that I take a moment to remember what parted does it
>> seems certain you do mean that), I wish you would not.  We are so
>> amazing far in debt right now....
>>

> Hi,
>
>    It is important to fix some points to clarify.
>
>    At first, "parted" is a binary that interact with the "libparted"
> library to run
>    some features about partitions, like:
>       * mkfs
>       * fsck
>       * cp
>       * mv
>       * resize
>       * and others.
>
>    Actually, parted have zero support for Reiser4.
>
>    Why we need Reiser4 support inside parted?
>
>    We need that parted support Reiser4, because our installer actualy
> a hacked version of RedHat anaconda
>    uses pyparted that need parted to create the partitions on the FS
> on a new installation.
>    (Therefore also RH people and Linux distro that uses anaconda, like
> YellowDog will benefit for this code).
>
>    Therefore, we don't need to resize Reiser4 partitions actually.

Great, thanks.  Happy to see you add the other stuff.

@ 2005-05-06 19:19           ` Vitaly Fertman
From: Vitaly Fertman @ 2005-05-06 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: reiserfs-list
  Cc: Dr. Giovanni A. Orlando, Hans Reiser, David Masover, Andrew Clausen

On Friday 06 May 2005 13:31, Dr. Giovanni A. Orlando wrote:
> Hans Reiser wrote:
>
> >I think someone is going to pay us to write the online repacker in the
> >very near future, though I can't say their name.
> >
> >Giovanni, if by parted support you mean that you are going to write a
> >resizer (and now that I take a moment to remember what parted does it
> >seems certain you do mean that), I wish you would not.  We are so
> >amazing far in debt right now....
> >

> Hi,
>
>     It is important to fix some points to clarify.
>
>     At first, "parted" is a binary that interact with the "libparted"
> library to run
>     some features about partitions, like:
>        * mkfs
>        * fsck
>        * cp
>        * mv
>        * resize
>        * and others.
>
>     Actually, parted have zero support for Reiser4.
>
>     Why we need Reiser4 support inside parted?
>
>     We need that parted support Reiser4, because our installer actualy a
> hacked version of RedHat anaconda
>     uses pyparted that need parted to create the partitions on the FS on
> a new installation.
>     (Therefore also RH people and Linux distro that uses anaconda, like
> YellowDog will benefit for this code).
>
>     Therefore, we don't need to resize Reiser4 partitions actually.
>
>     The necessary code is not necessarely complicated, because libraries
> are well written.
>     However, I need to understant how Reiser4 do jobs like fsck and mkfs
> and this code

they are wrappers to libreiser4 & librepair. also have a look at
reiser4progs/demos/busy (it is able to create file on reiser4,
copy them to/from, rm, stat, truncate, etc) which is the wrapper
to libreiser4 too.

>     cannot be a simple or equivalent (system("mkfs.reiser4")).
>
>     It is necessary to use the parted API to do that.
>
>     FTOSX 2004 includes "reiser4" packages, including "libaal", from Sep
> 2004.
>     (Check ftp://ftp.futuretg.com/pub/FTOSX/FTOSX_Desktop_2004/i386/SRPMS)
>
>     I create some directories, one for parted 1.6.15 (my hacked version)
> and another for (1.6.22), latest one.
>
>     People that want to know more about the internal of this code, can
> browse:
>
> ftp://ftp.futuretg.com/pub/Projects/parted+Reiser4/Actual_without_support/parted-1.6.15/doc/TUTORIAL
>
>     I need to update around 111 chapters in six courses, and therefore I
> will dedicate only 1/2 hours per day to move on
>     on this matter.
>
> Thanks,
> Giovanni.

> Check FT Websites ... http://www.futuretg.com  - ftp://ftp.futuretg.com
> http://www.FTLinuxCourse.com
>     http://www.FTLinuxCourse.com/Certification
> http://www.RPMParadaise.org
> http://www.YourPersonalOperatingSystem.com
>
> Mobile: +39 393 665 4239
> 	Lancelot is back!

Vitaly Fertman

* Re: Reiser4 repackers
@ 2005-05-07  4:41         ` David Masover
From: David Masover @ 2005-05-07  4:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Clausen
  Cc: Jonathan Briggs, Dr. Giovanni A. Orlando, Hans Reiser,
	Reiserfs mail-list

Andrew Clausen wrote:
> On Thu, May 05, 2005 at 09:47:00PM -0500, David Masover wrote:
>
>>>Perhaps it would be a good idea to release at least an offline repacker.
>>
>>To be able to resize.  That is the crucial feature.  Performance isn't
>>quite so huge, although Hans may start squirming when someone benchmarks
>>performance before and after a year of normal use -- but asking users to
>>back up, recreate, and restore -- that's a bit much.
>

> Are you familiar with convertfs?
>
> 	http://members.optusnet.com.au/clausen/ideas/convertfs.txt

How easy is it to get the blocklist needed?  It seems like Reiser4's
packing doesn't help here...

Also, suppose I create a brand-new 200 gig Linux setup on Reiser4.
Later, I find I'm using less than half, so I want to give 50 gigs to a
WinXP setup so I can play Half-Life 2.

Or, we could go the other way.  Create a brand-new dual-boot, 100 gigs
each.  Then, my XP becomes irrelevant as Cedega becomes able to play
Half-Life 2.  So I nuke the XP partition, but now I want to be able to
reclaim the space into my one huge monolithic Reiser4 partition.

In both of these situations, convertfs seems workable, but overkill.  I
mean, a proper resizer would leave the FS in a useable state no matter
which way it went or when power was cut.  Convertfs means that if I lose
power at any point during the process, I'm very likely hosed, especially
with something doing lazy writes like Reiser4 as the original FS.  And
this is all assuming it would work at all.

These are not situations where enterprise users would pay thousands of
dollars to be able to do this -- they can afford to do a full
backup/restore, just throw hardware at a problem and make it go away.
These are the scenario where small users like me tend to give up, back
up, reformat, and never touch such an inflexible FS again.

* Re: Reiser4 repackers
@ 2005-05-07 10:25           ` Andrew Clausen
From: Andrew Clausen @ 2005-05-07 10:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Masover
  Cc: Jonathan Briggs, Dr. Giovanni A. Orlando, Hans Reiser,
	Reiserfs mail-list

On Fri, May 06, 2005 at 11:41:16PM -0500, David Masover wrote:
> > Are you familiar with convertfs?
> >
> > 	http://members.optusnet.com.au/clausen/ideas/convertfs.txt
>
> How easy is it to get the blocklist needed?  It seems like Reiser4's
> packing doesn't help here...

The blocklist is only needed to find the blocks in the nested file,
which is huge.  (I don't know anything about reiser packing, but
things like tail-merging aren't a serious problem.)

> In both of these situations, convertfs seems workable, but overkill.  I
> mean, a proper resizer would leave the FS in a useable state no matter
> which way it went or when power was cut.  Convertfs means that if I lose
> power at any point during the process, I'm very likely hosed, especially
> with something doing lazy writes like Reiser4 as the original FS.  And
> this is all assuming it would work at all.

You could do journalling in this process.  (This would slow it down
considerablly, however!)  If you've got some nice gui like qtparted
on a knoppix live cd, it could be quite convenient.

> These are not situations where enterprise users would pay thousands of
> dollars to be able to do this -- they can afford to do a full
> backup/restore, just throw hardware at a problem and make it go away.
> These are the scenario where small users like me tend to give up, back
> up, reformat, and never touch such an inflexible FS again.

Small users are happy to leave their computer overnight.

Cheers,
Andrew

* Re: Reiser4 repackers
@ 2005-05-08  1:05               ` Andrew Clausen
From: Andrew Clausen @ 2005-05-08  1:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Masover
  Cc: Jonathan Briggs, Dr. Giovanni A. Orlando, Hans Reiser,
	Reiserfs mail-list

On Sat, May 07, 2005 at 08:10:18PM -0500, David Masover wrote:
> > The blocklist is only needed to find the blocks in the nested file,
> > which is huge.  (I don't know anything about reiser packing, but
> > things like tail-merging aren't a serious problem.)
>
> Yet, it's still a problem.  You want a standardized way to map files to
> underlying blocks, and before Reiser4, I'd say this was easy.  But now,
> who knows what the FS does to bastardize the file on the way down?
> Crypto/compression?  Tail-packing?  Stenography?  The possibilities are
> endless...

Can't you disable these things for the special nested file?  You only
need the block list for one file!

> > Small users are happy to leave their computer overnight.
>
> Maybe you are, but newbies aren't.  Maybe you got it wrong?  Maybe you
> got all your stuff moved around properly, but didn't leave room for a
> swap partition?  Looks like you have to start over!

Ideally, you'd have a tool where you plan the entire job first
(including creating the new swap partition), and then execute it in one
hit.

> Unless the newbies are following a VERY specific recipie or VERY good
> tools, this process could easily take a few weeks, instead of a few
> hours with the repacker.  And that repacker looks easier to implement
> than a noob-proof UI.  Of course, people who know tell me I'm naive on
> both counts...

Clearly, a repacker would be better for users.

> The current situation is not impossible, unless you want real users (not
> fanboys) to choose Reiser4 over ANYTHING else.  Why would I choose
> Reiser4+convertfs over ReiserFS 3 + resize_reiserfs?  Or even
> ntfs+ntfsresize?

Why do newbies ever choose reiserfs?  Crypto?

Cheers,
Andrew

* Re: Reiser4 repackers
@ 2005-05-08  1:10             ` David Masover
From: David Masover @ 2005-05-08  1:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Clausen
  Cc: Jonathan Briggs, Dr. Giovanni A. Orlando, Hans Reiser,
	Reiserfs mail-list

Andrew Clausen wrote:
> On Fri, May 06, 2005 at 11:41:16PM -0500, David Masover wrote:
>
>>>Are you familiar with convertfs?
>>>
>>>	http://members.optusnet.com.au/clausen/ideas/convertfs.txt
>>
>>How easy is it to get the blocklist needed?  It seems like Reiser4's
>>packing doesn't help here...
>

> The blocklist is only needed to find the blocks in the nested file,
> which is huge.  (I don't know anything about reiser packing, but
> things like tail-merging aren't a serious problem.)

Yet, it's still a problem.  You want a standardized way to map files to
underlying blocks, and before Reiser4, I'd say this was easy.  But now,
who knows what the FS does to bastardize the file on the way down?
Crypto/compression?  Tail-packing?  Stenography?  The possibilities are
endless...

>>In both of these situations, convertfs seems workable, but overkill.  I
>>mean, a proper resizer would leave the FS in a useable state no matter
>>which way it went or when power was cut.  Convertfs means that if I lose
>>power at any point during the process, I'm very likely hosed, especially
>>with something doing lazy writes like Reiser4 as the original FS.  And
>>this is all assuming it would work at all.
>

> You could do journalling in this process.  (This would slow it down
> considerablly, however!)  If you've got some nice gui like qtparted
> on a knoppix live cd, it could be quite convenient.

Compared to the FS knowing how to resize itself?  You'd get to take full
advantage of existing Reiser4 transactions, not to mention the speed of
chopping off unused space vs. rebuilding the entire FS.

@ 2005-05-08 13:37                 ` Dr. Giovanni A. Orlando
From: Dr. Giovanni A. Orlando @ 2005-05-08 13:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Clausen
  Cc: David Masover, Jonathan Briggs, Hans Reiser, Reiserfs mail-list

Andrew Clausen wrote:

>On Sat, May 07, 2005 at 08:10:18PM -0500, David Masover wrote:
>

>>>The blocklist is only needed to find the blocks in the nested file,
>>>which is huge.  (I don't know anything about reiser packing, but
>>>things like tail-merging aren't a serious problem.)
>>>

>>Yet, it's still a problem.  You want a standardized way to map files to
>>underlying blocks, and before Reiser4, I'd say this was easy.  But now,
>>who knows what the FS does to bastardize the file on the way down?
>>Crypto/compression?  Tail-packing?  Stenography?  The possibilities are
>>endless...
>>

>Can't you disable these things for the special nested file?  You only
>need the block list for one file!

This must be fine!