* Re: [Xen-users] "Hello Xen Project" Book.
       [not found] <428947567.858633.1489601125709.ref@mail.yahoo.com>
@ 2017-03-15 18:05 ` Mohsen
From: Mohsen @ 2017-03-15 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mohsen, Lars Kurth; +Cc: xen-devel, xen-users

Thank you so much Lars.
I used LibreOffice and I will test HTML format and inform you.
The structure that you listed was good and I hope Xen experts and developers like you dedicate some hours at the weekends for update this book and add more topics to it. I bet it is a good project for help beginners and introduce Xen to people. This book can become a Bible for Xen if friends working on it.

On Wed, 3/15/17, Lars Kurth <lars.kurth.xen@gmail.com> wrote:

 Subject: Re: [Xen-users] "Hello Xen Project" Book.
 To: "Mohsen" <mohsen1365b@yahoo.com>
 Cc: "xen-devel@lists.xenproject.org" <xen-devel@lists.xenproject.org>, "xen-users@lists.xenproject.org" <xen-users@lists.xenproject.org>
 Date: Wednesday, March 15, 2017, 4:04 PM

 Hi Mohsen,

 Mohsen <mohsen1365b@yahoo.com>
 wrote:

 > Dear Xen
 Project community members,

 > I have written a Xen book recently (pdf
 attached) which is aimed at teaching Xen newbies. I would
 like to make the book available to the Xen Project under a
 CC-BY-SA-3.0 license. Ideally, I would like to publish the
 content on the Xen Project wiki in an editable form, such
 that others can contribute and build on it and it stays
 up-to-date. I also noticed that the Xen Wiki has the https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Collection
 extension, which should make it possible to create a
 PDF, ODF or DocBook from the pages for those who want a
 manual rather than wiki pages.

 Thank you for doing this. As far as I can tell
 the fact that you published the book under CC-BY-SA-3.0
 would make it possible to move the content to the wiki.

 > I had a conversation with
 Lars to check whether this is possible and he believes it
 is. He suggests that first we upload the book as pdf to the
 wiki and as a second step, agree an information architecture
 and then convert the book to mark-down. There are a number
 of conversion tools which should get us there some of the
 way, with a bit of cleanup and beautification needed after
 the initial import. I can make the source available in a
 format that makes conversion to markdown easier.

 We do need to find a way to
 convert the content into markdown format though, which may
 be quite a bit of work.

 have done this before for html pages, converting them into
 docman markdown. I have not checked whether there are online
 or command line tools which do that for mediawiki markdown.
 In any case, the conversion is fundamentally doable,
 although it will be somewhat tedious to do this. If anyone
 has more experience, please share and advise what the best
 way forward is.

 The main
 problem that I faced when doing something similar were
 tables, figures and other more advanced formatting. Much of
 this may get lost or "corrupted" in some way and
 will have to be re-introduced post conversion.

 @Mohsen: as far as I recall,
 you used Word or LibreOffice to create the book? Is that
 correct? If so, it should be possible to save it in html,
 which would ensure that figures and so on are saved in some
 sensible way. We would probably need to find a temporary
 location where to store this. And we can start experimenting
 a little and maybe provide a quick guide on how to do
 this.

 As for the
 information architecture, I was thinking about a structure
 such as ...

 https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/<wikibook>

 https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/<wikibook>/title_and_credits

 https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/<wikibook>/<chapter>

 ... a separate article for each article in
 the book, such as "Virtualization and Security".
 As a first step, we would probably keep the original chapter
 structure.

 This would then
 look something like ...
 https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/HelloXenProject
 https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/HelloXenProject/0/Title
 https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/HelloXenProject/0/Credits
 https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/HelloXenProject/0/Licence
 https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/HelloXenProject/1-Intro
 https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/HelloXenProject/1-Intro/History
 https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/HelloXenProject/1-Intro/TypesOfVirtualization

 We may need some other
 extensible numbering scheme, which would make it easy to
 create PDF's with https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Collection
 - again, this is something I don't have experience
 with.

 > What do people
 think? Is this a good idea? Would anyone be willing to help?
 I am not very familiar with Markdown and would need someone
 else to help with the wikification of the book. Lars already
 volunteered to help.

 I will
 definitely help, but this would be an activity, which could
 easily be distributed. So help from others would be very
 highly appreciated.

 Best
 Regards
 Lars

* Re: [Xen-users] "Hello Xen Project" Book.
@ 2017-03-16  5:00   ` Juergen Gross
From: Juergen Gross @ 2017-03-16  5:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mohsen, Lars Kurth; +Cc: xen-devel, xen-users

On 15/03/17 19:05, Mohsen wrote:
> Thank you so much Lars.
> I used LibreOffice and I will test HTML format and inform you.

You are aware of the MediaWiki export function of LibreOffice?

Juergen

* Re: [Xen-users] "Hello Xen Project" Book.
@ 2017-03-28 11:51     ` Lars Kurth
From: Lars Kurth @ 2017-03-28 11:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juergen Gross; +Cc: xen-devel, Mohsen, xen-users

> On 16 Mar 2017, at 05:00, Juergen Gross <jgross@suse.com> wrote:
>
> On 15/03/17 19:05, Mohsen wrote:
>> Thank you so much Lars.
>> I used LibreOffice and I will test HTML format and inform you.
>
> You are aware of the MediaWiki export function of LibreOffice?

Yes, but I have not been able to find the extension at https://extensions.libreoffice.org/
The extension seems to have been discontinued some time ago
I don't know whether there are any distros, where you can still get it from.
Lars

* Re: [Xen-users] "Hello Xen Project" Book.
@ 2017-03-28 11:56       ` Juergen Gross
From: Juergen Gross @ 2017-03-28 11:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Kurth; +Cc: xen-devel, Mohsen, xen-users

On 28/03/17 13:51, Lars Kurth wrote:

>> On 16 Mar 2017, at 05:00, Juergen Gross <jgross@suse.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 15/03/17 19:05, Mohsen wrote:
>>> Thank you so much Lars.
>>> I used LibreOffice and I will test HTML format and inform you.
>>
>> You are aware of the MediaWiki export function of LibreOffice?
>
> Yes, but I have not been able to find the extension at https://extensions.libreoffice.org/
> The extension seems to have been discontinued some time ago
> I don't know whether there are any distros, where you can still get it from.

openSUSE seems to have it (libreOffice 5.2.3.3).

Juergen

* Re: [Xen-users] "Hello Xen Project" Book.
@ 2017-03-28 12:46         ` M A Young
From: M A Young @ 2017-03-28 12:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juergen Gross; +Cc: Lars Kurth, xen-devel, Mohsen, xen-users

On Tue, 28 Mar 2017, Juergen Gross wrote:

> On 28/03/17 13:51, Lars Kurth wrote:

> >> You are aware of the MediaWiki export function of LibreOffice?
> >
> > Yes, but I have not been able to find the extension at https://extensions.libreoffice.org/
> > The extension seems to have been discontinued some time ago
> > I don't know whether there are any distros, where you can still get it from.
>
> openSUSE seems to have it (libreOffice 5.2.3.3).

and fedora has the libreoffice-wiki-publisher package as part of
ite LibreOffice build (5.2.6.2 in F25)

	Michael Young

* Re: [Xen-users]  "Hello Xen Project" Book.
@ 2017-04-18 11:44   ` Lars Kurth
From: Lars Kurth @ 2017-04-18 11:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Long
  Cc: Juergen Gross, xen-devel, xen-users, Mohsen, Mohsen Mostafa Jokar

> On 13 Apr 2017, at 14:56, Jason Long <hack3rcon@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> It is a good news and I hope Xen experts thinking about beginners like me. Xen is great but have some problems in documenting and easy to use. I hope to see this book on Xen Project website soon.
>
> Thank you Xen team.

You are welcome. The content has essentially been transferred: see https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Category:HelloXenProjectBook
The formatting can probably be improved in some areas, but generally seems fine: see https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Book/HelloXenProject/Instructions_for_Improvement

Regards
Lars

* Re: [Xen-users]  "Hello Xen Project" Book.
       [not found] <273314172.1243061.1492091785584.ref@mail.yahoo.com>
@ 2017-04-13 13:56 ` Jason Long
From: Jason Long @ 2017-04-13 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mohsen, Lars Kurth
  Cc: Juergen Gross, xen-devel, Mohsen Mostafa Jokar, xen-users

On Wed, 4/12/17, Lars Kurth <lars.kurth.xen@gmail.com> wrote:

 Subject: Re: [Xen-users] [Xen-devel] "Hello Xen Project" Book.
 To: "Mohsen" <mohsen1365b@yahoo.com>
 Cc: "Juergen Gross" <jgross@suse.com>, "xen-devel" <xen-devel@lists.xenproject.org>, "Mohsen Mostafa Jokar" <mohsenjokar@gmail.com>, "xen-users@lists.xenproject.org" <xen-users@lists.xenproject.org>
 Date: Wednesday, April 12, 2017, 5:36 PM

 Hi all,
 I had a go at converting the first
 chapter* See https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Category:HelloXenProjectBook (and https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Book/HelloXenProject/Instructions_for_Conversion)* And https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Book/HelloXenProject/0-Contents
 All relevant information for people to
 help out is there. If anyone wants to help and needs some
 advice, feel free to do so
 Best RegardsLars
 On 4 Apr
 2017, at 15:25, Mohsen <mohsen1365b@yahoo.com>
 wrote:
 Thank you for openSUSE VM and the
 libreoffice-wiki-publisher but you must split the .odt
 file?

    On Monday, April 3, 2017 8:38 AM,

 03/28/2017 12:11 PM, Mohsen wrote:
 >>> I'm using LibreOffice
 4.3.3.2 on Debian amd64 and this version not
 >>> have MediaWiki export
 function!!

 >> There was a
 deb for the libreoffice extension

 libreoffice-wiki-publisher.  Give that a try.

 > In the end you need that only
 once for the initial conversion. So
 > instead of trying to find the
 correct package you could just use
 > your Xen skills to create an
 openSUSE VM and do it there. :-)

 Juergen, thanks for the tip. I
 installed an openSUSE VM and the libreoffice-wiki-publisher
 came as default, which is good. So I ran a few tests.

 First, what I couldn't get to
 work: I tried Send > MediaWiki in the hope that this
 would allow transferring of images, but could not get it to
 work. There seems to be an issue with authentication on the
 XenProject wiki side. But File > Export [MediaWiki
 (.txt)] works.

 Also, I couldn't find
 any docs for the converter: the help links to pages which do
 not exist. But hey, we can live with that.

 Here is what I learned:
 =======================
 * The export granularity
 is 1 LibreOffice document to 1 Wiki Page
 * Most of the basic formatting such as
 lists and tables get correctly converted, but the converter
 introduces an awful lot of <span
 style"...">...</span> and <div
 style"...">...</div> attributes.
 Basically it does this every time, something slightly out of
 the ordinary has been done with text. These may have to be
 stripped with on-line tools such as http://www.unit-conversion.info/texttools/strip-tags/
 or similar, otherwise the wiki pages become a nightmare
 to edit in future.
 *
 URLs are correctly converted
 * Headlines (aka text marked as
 "Heading 1", "Heading 2", etc. are not
 converted) to = ... =, == ... ==, etc.
 * Images are not converted: when an
 image is found, "[[image:|top]]" is inserted
 * I don't know how
 code snippets will come across in terms of formatting, as I
 don't have the ODT source of the book

 What does this mean:
 ====================
 In principle, this means that should
 be doable with 1-2 days worth of work. However it's not
 going to be entirely trivial. What we would need to do is
 to:
 * Break the
 original book ODT file into smaller sections (probably along
 the chapter structure as exposed in the Contents)
 * Then take each of the
 ODT files and do the following
 ** Save as MediaWiki (.txt) [1]. If
 appropriate remove tags using http://www.unit-conversion.info/texttools/strip-tags/
 ** Save as html [2] - to
 get the images. The bad news is that the images are saved
 using some hash names and not in the order they are in the
 document
 ** Create the
 wiki page from [1]
 **
 Fix up bad formatting (such as missing = ... =, == ... ==,
 etc.)
 ** Manually
 upload the images from [2]
 ** Add appropriate [[Category:...]]
 tags at the bottom of each page. At least one for the
 wiki-book, e.g. [[Category:HelloXenProjectBook]] or
 something similar. But of course further categories per
 topic can be added as needed.

 Once we have all the content, create
 the common pages such as contents, credits, etc. - and we
 should have a good starting point.

 Best Regards
 Lars

* Re: [Xen-users]  "Hello Xen Project" Book.
       [not found] <1720037778.664206.1492022128851.ref@mail.yahoo.com>
@ 2017-04-12 18:35 ` Mohsen
From: Mohsen @ 2017-04-12 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Kurth; +Cc: Juergen Gross, xen-devel, xen-users

Thank you so much Lars.
I like to see the first chapter and I must say that LibreOffice on Windows OS has the MediaWiki plug in and working very well.

 To: "Mohsen" <mohsen1365b@yahoo.com>
 Cc: "Mohsen Mostafa Jokar" <mohsenjokar@gmail.com>, "Juergen Gross" <jgross@suse.com>, "xen-devel" <xen-devel@lists.xenproject.org>, "xen-users@lists.xenproject.org" <xen-users@lists.xenproject.org>
 Date: Wednesday, April 12, 2017, 5:36 PM

 Hi all,

 Mohsen wrote:
 >>> I'm using LibreOffice
 4.3.3.2 on Debian amd64 and this version not
 >>> have MediaWiki export
 function!!

@ 2017-04-12 17:36           ` Lars Kurth
From: Lars Kurth @ 2017-04-12 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mohsen; +Cc: Juergen Gross, xen-devel, Mohsen Mostafa Jokar, xen-users

* See https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Category:HelloXenProjectBook <https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Category:HelloXenProjectBook> (and https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Book/HelloXenProject/Instructions_for_Conversion <https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Book/HelloXenProject/Instructions_for_Conversion>)
* And https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Book/HelloXenProject/0-Contents <https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Book/HelloXenProject/0-Contents>

@ 2017-04-04 14:25         ` Mohsen
From: Mohsen @ 2017-04-04 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Kurth, Mohsen Mostafa Jokar; +Cc: Juergen Gross, xen-devel, xen-users