* IRC and ident with iptables
@ 2005-06-05 14:23 Alexander Salmin
From: Alexander Salmin @ 2005-06-05 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netfilter

Hi.

I've set up my firewall so that it provides NAT for a small network.
That network has about 10 computers who are beeing used by diffrent
users. The problem is that I can't find a way to make the IRC-servers
that those computers are connected to recognize each computers
diffrent ident. So, what I would like to know is if there is a way to
make iptables recognize to whom it should portforward to, based of
what internal ip that is connecting. Can it be done? If not, is there
any identd-server for Linux 2.6 that you know could do this?

-Alexander

* Re: IRC and ident with iptables
@ 2005-06-05 14:46 ` /dev/rob0
From: /dev/rob0 @ 2005-06-05 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexander Salmin; +Cc: netfilter

Alexander Salmin wrote:
> diffrent ident. So, what I would like to know is if there is a way to
> make iptables recognize to whom it should portforward to, based of
> what internal ip that is connecting. Can it be done? If not, is there

That would be tricky, but perhaps possible using some extension of
connection tracking ... whoever makes a new connection to an ircd is
going to get the next ident query from that IP.

> any identd-server for Linux 2.6 that you know could do this?

This is how I'd go about it. I've seen numerous identd's listed on
freshmeat which claim to be able to do this. It wouldn't be that
complicated, I think: look up the connection in ip_conntrack, query the
appropriate internal identd, give that reply to the external client.
     or "not-spam" is in Subject: header

* RE: IRC and ident with iptables
@ 2005-06-06 11:00 Piszcz, Justin
From: Piszcz, Justin @ 2005-06-06 11:00 UTC (permalink / raw)