* Recording memory addresses on ARM
@ 2018-02-08 15:17 Christian Hansen (chansen3)
From: Christian Hansen (chansen3) @ 2018-02-08 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-perf-users

Is is possible to capture the address of memory accesses using perf on ARM?  Initially, I thought perf-mem would do the trick, but apparently its functionality is entirely dependent on Intel CPUs with PEBS.  Then I noticed that perf-record takes a -d flag (used by perf-mem).  Although the description of that flag is vague (capture what addresses?), when used as such "perf record -e armv8_cortex_a72/mem_access/u -d -p 16963 sleep 5” and then dumping the trace via “perf report —mem-mode” I get 0s in the data symbol column.  So this also appears to have no effect on my hardware.  As the command used reveals, I’m using perf on a Cortex A72 and on Linux 4.4.

I’m aware that for ARM there’s a Statistical Profiling Extension for which support went into the kernel recently and which could potentially support this information, but that requires ARMv8.2.  There’s an Embedded Trace Macrocell on my CPU and perf support is also in the kernel, but my understanding is that capturing a data trace is not available for A profile CPUs, which is what I have.

Am I overlooking some software support for this in perf or am I simply asking the impossible?

Thank you,
Christian Hansen