* how to check data and metadata type
@ 2010-01-29 22:43 Thomas Kupper
From: Thomas Kupper @ 2010-01-29 22:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-btrfs

Just a short question:

How can I check the data and metadata modes of a multi-device btrfs device? btrfs-show is of no help and df is still not showing the correct size of it either (using latest btrfs kernel module and btrfs tools).

* Re: how to check data and metadata type
@ 2010-01-30 15:18 ` Josef Bacik
From: Josef Bacik @ 2010-01-30 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Kupper; +Cc: linux-btrfs

On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 11:43:45PM +0100, Thomas Kupper wrote:
> Just a short question:
>
> How can I check the data and metadata modes of a multi-device btrfs device? btrfs-show is of no help and df is still not showing the correct size of it either (using latest btrfs kernel module and btrfs tools).

There are patches to do this for you, look for the "-i" patch for btrfs-progs
and the "df" patch for the kernel, that will give you the information you are
looking for.  Thanks,

Josef

* Re: how to check data and metadata type
@ 2010-01-30 16:57   ` Thomas Kupper
From: Thomas Kupper @ 2010-01-30 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Josef Bacik; +Cc: linux-btrfs

On 30 Jan 2010, at 16:18, Josef Bacik wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 11:43:45PM +0100, Thomas Kupper wrote:
>> Just a short question:
>>
>> How can I check the data and metadata modes of a multi-device btrfs device? btrfs-show is of no help and df is still not showing the correct size of it either (using latest btrfs kernel module and btrfs tools).
>
> There are patches to do this for you, look for the "-i" patch for btrfs-progs
> and the "df" patch for the kernel, that will give you the information you are
> looking for.  Thanks,
>
> Josef

Thanks Josef, I'm stuck with two problems :

* found the df patch but it does not apply. The latest btrfs-unstable seems not have BTRFS_IOC_SNAP_LISTING, neither btrfs_ioctl_default_subvol. With what revision of btrfs do you work? Of course I could apply it manually but I'm interested in the snap listing, too :)

* I did not succeed in finding the patch '-i'. If you would happen to know where I can find it? I was looking on linux-btrfs mailing list and asked the allknowing Google.

Cheers,
Thomas

* Re: how to check data and metadata type
@ 2010-01-30 18:20     ` Josef Bacik
From: Josef Bacik @ 2010-01-30 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Kupper; +Cc: Josef Bacik, linux-btrfs

On Sat, Jan 30, 2010 at 05:57:49PM +0100, Thomas Kupper wrote:

> On 30 Jan 2010, at 16:18, Josef Bacik wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 11:43:45PM +0100, Thomas Kupper wrote:
> >> Just a short question:
> >>
> >> How can I check the data and metadata modes of a multi-device btrfs device? btrfs-show is of no help and df is still not showing the correct size of it either (using latest btrfs kernel module and btrfs tools).
> >
> > There are patches to do this for you, look for the "-i" patch for btrfs-progs
> > and the "df" patch for the kernel, that will give you the information you are
> > looking for.  Thanks,
> >
> > Josef
>
> Thanks Josef, I'm stuck with two problems :
>
> * found the df patch but it does not apply. The latest btrfs-unstable seems not have BTRFS_IOC_SNAP_LISTING, neither btrfs_ioctl_default_subvol. With what revision of btrfs do you work? Of course I could apply it manually but I'm interested in the snap listing, too :)

Oh yeah sorry, there are other patches for snapshot listing and setting the
default snapshot/subvol to mount and my df patch was done on top of those other
patches.  If you just fix the rejections from my df patch it will work fine
since it doesn't depend on either of those patches.

Chris is going to make a "dangerous" branch on his btrfs-unstable git tree that
will have all of that work as well, so you should be able to use it shortly.

> * I did not succeed in finding the patch '-i'. If you would happen to know where I can find it? I was looking on linux-btrfs mailing list and asked the allknowing Google.

This is the btrfs-progs patch

http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-btrfs@vger.kernel.org/msg03808.html

and this is the kernel patch you'll want

http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-btrfs@vger.kernel.org/msg03807.html

Thanks,

Josef

* Re: how to check data and metadata type
@ 2010-01-30 18:26       ` Thomas Kupper
From: Thomas Kupper @ 2010-01-30 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Josef Bacik; +Cc: linux-btrfs

On 30 Jan 2010, at 19:20, Josef Bacik wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 30, 2010 at 05:57:49PM +0100, Thomas Kupper wrote:

>>> There are patches to do this for you, look for the "-i" patch for btrfs-progs
>>> and the "df" patch for the kernel, that will give you the information you are
>>> looking for.  Thanks,
>>>
>>> Josef
>>
>> Thanks Josef, I'm stuck with two problems :
>>
>> * found the df patch but it does not apply. The latest btrfs-unstable seems not have BTRFS_IOC_SNAP_LISTING, neither btrfs_ioctl_default_subvol. With what revision of btrfs do you work? Of course I could apply it manually but I'm interested in the snap listing, too :)
>>

> Oh yeah sorry, there are other patches for snapshot listing and setting the
> default snapshot/subvol to mount and my df patch was done on top of those other
> patches.  If you just fix the rejections from my df patch it will work fine
> since it doesn't depend on either of those patches.
>
> Chris is going to make a "dangerous" branch on his btrfs-unstable git tree that
> will have all of that work as well, so you should be able to use it shortly.

Thanks alot, I did as you suggested and I also integraded the subvol listing patch.

>> * I did not succeed in finding the patch '-i'. If you would happen to know where I can find it? I was looking on linux-btrfs mailing list and asked the allknowing Google.
>>

> This is the btrfs-progs patch
>
> http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-btrfs@vger.kernel.org/msg03808.html
>
> and this is the kernel patch you'll want
>
> http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-btrfs@vger.kernel.org/msg03807.html

Again, thanks alot. Alex pointed me to the right patch on patchworks, too. Strange that I can't find your patch when searching the mailing list with 'patch btrfs "-i"' ... but nevermind

> Thanks,
>
> Josef

o/
Thomas

* Re: how to check data and metadata type
@ 2010-01-30 18:28       ` Thomas Kupper
From: Thomas Kupper @ 2010-01-30 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Piavlo; +Cc: linux-btrfs

On 31 Jan 2010, at 18:39, Piavlo wrote:

> Thomas Kupper wrote:

>>> There are patches to do this for you, look for the "-i" patch for btrfs-progs
>>> and the "df" patch for the kernel, that will give you the information you are
>>> looking for.  Thanks,
>>>
>>> Josef
>>
>> Thanks Josef, I'm stuck with two problems :
>>
>> * found the df patch but it does not apply. The latest btrfs-unstable seems not have BTRFS_IOC_SNAP_LISTING, neither btrfs_ioctl_default_subvol. With what revision of btrfs do you work? Of course I could apply it manually but I'm interested in the snap listing, too :)
>>
>> * I did not succeed in finding the patch '-i'. If you would happen to know where I can find it? I was looking on linux-btrfs mailing list and asked the allknowing Google.
>>

> look at the patchwork
> http://patchwork.kernel.org/project/linux-btrfs/list/
> the -i is probably this one http://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/72686/

That's exactly what I was looking for. I did know of the patchwork-thingy, perfect place to look for patches obviously.

> Alex
>

>> Cheers,
>> Thomas

o/
Thomas

* Re: how to check data and metadata type
@ 2010-01-31  8:46       ` Thomas Kupper
From: Thomas Kupper @ 2010-01-31  8:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Josef Bacik; +Cc: linux-btrfs

On 30 Jan 2010, at 19:20, Josef Bacik wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 30, 2010 at 05:57:49PM +0100, Thomas Kupper wrote:

>>> There are patches to do this for you, look for the "-i" patch for btrfs-progs
>>> and the "df" patch for the kernel, that will give you the information you are
>>> looking for.  Thanks,
>>>
>>> Josef
>>
>> Thanks Josef, I'm stuck with two problems :
>>
>> * found the df patch but it does not apply. The latest btrfs-unstable seems not have BTRFS_IOC_SNAP_LISTING, neither btrfs_ioctl_default_subvol. With what revision of btrfs do you work? Of course I could apply it manually but I'm interested in the snap listing, too :)
>>

> Oh yeah sorry, there are other patches for snapshot listing and setting the
> default snapshot/subvol to mount and my df patch was done on top of those other
> patches.  If you just fix the rejections from my df patch it will work fine
> since it doesn't depend on either of those patches.
>
> Chris is going to make a "dangerous" branch on his btrfs-unstable git tree that
> will have all of that work as well, so you should be able to use it shortly.
>
>> * I did not succeed in finding the patch '-i'. If you would happen to know where I can find it? I was looking on linux-btrfs mailing list and asked the allknowing Google.
>>

> This is the btrfs-progs patch
>
> http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-btrfs@vger.kernel.org/msg03808.html
>
> and this is the kernel patch you'll want
>
> http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-btrfs@vger.kernel.org/msg03807.html
>
> Thanks,
>
> Josef

Josef, do you have a user space app which uses the new IOCTL? df is using, right?

o/
Thomas

* Re: how to check data and metadata type
@ 2010-01-31  9:17         ` Thomas Kupper
From: Thomas Kupper @ 2010-01-31  9:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Josef Bacik; +Cc: linux-btrfs

On 31 Jan 2010, at 09:46, Thomas Kupper wrote:

> On 30 Jan 2010, at 19:20, Josef Bacik wrote:

[...]
>> This is the btrfs-progs patch
>>
>> http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-btrfs@vger.kernel.org/msg03808.html
>>
>> and this is the kernel patch you'll want
>>
>> http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-btrfs@vger.kernel.org/msg03807.html
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Josef
>
> Josef, do you have a user space app which uses the new IOCTL? df is using, right?

Typo: it should have written -> "df isn't using it, right?"

o/
Thomas

* Re: how to check data and metadata type
@ 2010-01-31 17:39     ` Piavlo
From: Piavlo @ 2010-01-31 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Kupper; +Cc: linux-btrfs

@ 2010-02-01 14:19           ` Josef Bacik
From: Josef Bacik @ 2010-02-01 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Kupper; +Cc: Josef Bacik, linux-btrfs

On Sun, Jan 31, 2010 at 10:17:24AM +0100, Thomas Kupper wrote:

> On 31 Jan 2010, at 09:46, Thomas Kupper wrote:

> [...]
> >>
> >> This is the btrfs-progs patch
> >>
> >> http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-btrfs@vger.kernel.org/msg03808.html
> >>
> >> and this is the kernel patch you'll want
> >>
> >> http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-btrfs@vger.kernel.org/msg03807.html
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >>
> >> Josef
> >
> > Josef, do you have a user space app which uses the new IOCTL? df is using, right?
>
> Typo: it should have written -> "df isn't using it, right?"

Right df isn't using it, just btrfsctl -i uses it.  I just called the patch "df"
for lack of a better description for what it does.  Thanks,

Josef

* Re: how to check data and metadata type
@ 2010-02-03 15:21             ` Thomas Kupper
From: Thomas Kupper @ 2010-02-03 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Josef Bacik; +Cc: linux-btrfs

On 1 Feb 2010, at 15:19, Josef Bacik wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 31, 2010 at 10:17:24AM +0100, Thomas Kupper wrote:

>> [...]
>>>
>>> Josef, do you have a user space app which uses the new IOCTL? df is using, right?
>>
>> Typo: it should have written -> "df isn't using it, right?"
>>

> Right df isn't using it, just btrfsctl -i uses it.  I just called the patch "df"
> for lack of a better description for what it does.  Thanks,

Right, I lost the overview over the patches for a moment after playing around with a bunch of 'em. And then missed the -i patch. Now's working excellent.

> Josef

Thanks,
Thomas