* Is it time to remove opensaf?
@ 2021-11-02 16:33 Peter Kjellerstedt
       [not found] ` <083fee51-9dd8-c9d3-7f27-90f41e8d261e@gmail.com>
From: Peter Kjellerstedt @ 2021-11-02 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: OE Development (openembedded-devel@lists.openembedded.org)

I am currently working on patches for OE-Core to report QA warnings
in case some directories that are expected to be empty have some
files installed into them. As part of the review process, Khem
reported failures for some recipes in OpenEmbedded due to this,
opensaf being one of them.

Now I have tried to build and run opensaf in a QEMU image, but I
cannot get it to work. The sysvinit initscript relies on
/lib/lsb/init-functions, which AFAICT has not existed since lsb
was removed from OE-Core two years ago, and opensaf has never
depended on lsb in the first place. As for systemd, the service
file uses the same sysvinit scripts so it has the same problem.
And in addition, the script is in /etc/init.d, which
systemd.bbclass removes unless both sysvinit and systemd are
enabled in DISTRO_FEATURES.

And in addition to this, if I just try to start the opensafd binary
it seg faults immediately.

So all in all, even if opensaf has been updated regularly, it
doesn't seem like anyone is actually using it. Which brings me to
my actual question: should I just send a patch to remove it?

Alternatively I can fix the creation of the /var/log/opensaf
directory, which was the error Khem saw with my patch for OE-Core
applied, but it seems like wasted work in case no one is actually
using the recipe...

//Peter