* Waiting for patches in main line
@ 2005-12-12 18:06 Knut Petersen
From: Knut Petersen @ 2005-12-12 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Morton; +Cc: Antonino A. Daplas, linux-fbdev-devel

It would be nice if the patches of Antonino A. Daplas could be integrated
into main line code soon. At least those patches that fix problems in
console rotation, panning and scrolling, and the patch that introduces the
save_state() and restore_state() framebuffer operations.

cu,
 Knut

* Re: Waiting for patches in main line
@ 2005-12-12 20:15 ` Andrew Morton
From: Andrew Morton @ 2005-12-12 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Knut Petersen; +Cc: adaplas, linux-fbdev-devel

Knut Petersen <Knut_Petersen@t-online.de> wrote:

> It would be nice if the patches of Antonino A. Daplas could be integrated
> into main line code soon. At least those patches that fix problems in
> console rotation, panning and scrolling, and the patch that introduces the
> save_state() and restore_state() framebuffer operations.

Well it's getting rather late, but if we can identify specifically which
patches are needed we can perhaps do something.

vesafb-drop-blank-hook.patch
aty-remove-unnecessary-config_pci.patch
fbdev-shift-pixel-value-before-entering-loop-in-cfbimageblit.patch
fbcon-sanitize-fbcon.patch
fbdev-fix-incorrect-unaligned-access-in-little-endian-machines.patch
nvidiafb-i2c-bus-name-beautification.patch
fbcon-store-struct-display-when-setting-all-vcs.patch
matroxfb-remove-fbconh-from-the-main-header-file.patch
savagefb-one-more-i2c-enabled-device-in-savagefb.patch
add-sysfs-entry-to-disable-framebuffer-access.patch
add-sysfs-entry-to-disable-framebuffer-access-tidy.patch
fbdev-nvidiafb-driver-cleanup.patch
fbdev-savagefb-driver-cleanup.patch
fbdev-i810fb-driver-cleanups.patch
fbdev-rivafb-driver-cleanups.patch
fbdev-asiliantfb-driver-cleanups.patch
fbdev-hgafb-convert-to-platform-device.patch
fbdev-imsttfb-driver-cleanups.patch
fbdev-kyrofb-driver-cleanups.patch
fbdev-neofb-driver-cleanups.patch
fbdev-pm2fb-driver-cleanups.patch
fbdev-tdfxfb-driver-cleanups.patch
fbdev-fbdev-cleanup.patch
fbdev-atyfb-remove-bios-less-booting.patch
fbdev-sstfb-driver-cleanups.patch
nvidiafb-fix-6xxx-7xxx-cards.patch
fbcon-add-ability-to-save-restore-graphics-state.patch
fbdev-pan-display-fixes.patch
rivafb-trim-rivafb_pan_display.patch
savagefb-trim-savagefb_pan_display.patch
vesafb-trim-vesafb_pan_display.patch
vesafb-trim-vesafb_pan_display-fix.patch
vga16fb-trim-vga16fb_pan_display.patch
fbcon-avoid-illegal-display-panning.patch
atyfb-fix-spelling.patch
atyfb-reduce-verbosity.patch
atyfb-fix-crtc_fifo_lwm-mask.patch
atyfb-fix-interlaced-modes.patch
atyfb-dont-stretch-with-crt.patch
atyfb-set-ecp-divider.patch
atyfb-improve-blanking.patch
atyfb-rage-xl-xc-cleanup.patch
atyfb-vt-gt-cleanup.patch
atyfb-lt-lg-cleanup.patch
nvidiafb-add-support-for-some-pci-e-chipsets.patch
nvidiafb-add-support-for-some-pci-e-chipsets-fix.patch
fbdev-fixing-switch-to-kd_text-enhanced-version.patch
skeletonfb-documentation-update.patch
include-video-newporth-extern-inline-static-inline.patch
fix-console-blanking.patch

* Re: Waiting for patches in main line
@ 2005-12-13  0:28   ` Antonino A. Daplas
From: Antonino A. Daplas @ 2005-12-13  0:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Morton; +Cc: Knut Petersen, linux-fbdev-devel

Andrew Morton wrote:
> Knut Petersen <Knut_Petersen@t-online.de> wrote:
>> It would be nice if the patches of Antonino A. Daplas could be integrated
>> into main line code soon. At least those patches that fix problems in
>> console rotation, panning and scrolling, and the patch that introduces the
>> save_state() and restore_state() framebuffer operations.
>>

> Well it's getting rather late, but if we can identify specifically which
> patches are needed we can perhaps do something.
>

> fbdev-fix-incorrect-unaligned-access-in-little-endian-machines.patch

This one is a real bug fix.

> fbcon-add-ability-to-save-restore-graphics-state.patch

This one adds functionality.  But none currently uses it except for
Knut's revised driver (to be submitted?), and perhaps by savagefb in
the future)  If Knut's driver is going to mainline, this needs to go
in too.

It should not introduce regressions.

> fbdev-pan-display-fixes.patch

This is a bug fix for drivers that does YWRAP scrolling.

> fbcon-avoid-illegal-display-panning.patch

This is a real bug fix.

> fbdev-fixing-switch-to-kd_text-enhanced-version.patch

Again, none uses this currently, but Knut's revised driver will.
This should not introduce regressions.

Tony

* Re: Waiting for patches in main line
@ 2005-12-13  1:08     ` Andrew Morton
From: Andrew Morton @ 2005-12-13  1:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Antonino A. Daplas; +Cc: Knut_Petersen, linux-fbdev-devel

"Antonino A. Daplas" <adaplas@gmail.com> wrote:

> > fbdev-fix-incorrect-unaligned-access-in-little-endian-machines.patch
>
> This one is a real bug fix.

OK, this one causes me some grief, because it changes things which aren't
in Linus's tree yet.

<looks>

If I merge
fbdev-shift-pixel-value-before-entering-loop-in-cfbimageblit.patch as well,
all is good.

So to confirm, after a compile test I'll send the following along to Linus
for 2.6.15:

fbcon-add-ability-to-save-restore-graphics-state.patch
fbdev-pan-display-fixes.patch
fbcon-avoid-illegal-display-panning.patch
fbdev-fixing-switch-to-kd_text-enhanced-version.patch
fbdev-shift-pixel-value-before-entering-loop-in-cfbimageblit.patch
fbdev-fix-incorrect-unaligned-access-in-little-endian-machines.patch

There's also

	fbcon-fix-complement_mask-with-512-character-map.patch

which I have yet to test.  I guess we can hold off on that?

* Re: Waiting for patches in main line
@ 2005-12-13  1:24       ` Antonino A. Daplas
From: Antonino A. Daplas @ 2005-12-13  1:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Morton; +Cc: Knut_Petersen, linux-fbdev-devel

Andrew Morton wrote:
> "Antonino A. Daplas" <adaplas@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> fbdev-fix-incorrect-unaligned-access-in-little-endian-machines.patch
>> This one is a real bug fix.
>
> OK, this one causes me some grief, because it changes things which aren't
> in Linus's tree yet.
>
> <looks>
>
> If I merge
> fbdev-shift-pixel-value-before-entering-loop-in-cfbimageblit.patch as well,
> all is good.

Yes, that's a safe patch to include.

> So to confirm, after a compile test I'll send the following along to Linus
> for 2.6.15:
>
> fbcon-add-ability-to-save-restore-graphics-state.patch
> fbdev-pan-display-fixes.patch
> fbcon-avoid-illegal-display-panning.patch
> fbdev-fixing-switch-to-kd_text-enhanced-version.patch
> fbdev-shift-pixel-value-before-entering-loop-in-cfbimageblit.patch
> fbdev-fix-incorrect-unaligned-access-in-little-endian-machines.patch

Yes.

> There's also
>
> 	fbcon-fix-complement_mask-with-512-character-map.patch
>
> which I have yet to test.  I guess we can hold off on that?

Yes, the worst that can happen is a bad gpm cursor.

Tony

* Re: Waiting for patches in main line
@ 2005-12-13 16:30         ` Knut Petersen
From: Knut Petersen @ 2005-12-13 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Antonino A. Daplas; +Cc: Andrew Morton, linux-fbdev-devel

>>So to confirm, after a compile test I'll send the following along to Linus
>>for 2.6.15:
>>
>>fbcon-add-ability-to-save-restore-graphics-state.patch
>>fbdev-pan-display-fixes.patch
>>fbcon-avoid-illegal-display-panning.patch
>>fbdev-fixing-switch-to-kd_text-enhanced-version.patch
>>fbdev-shift-pixel-value-before-entering-loop-in-cfbimageblit.patch
>>fbdev-fix-incorrect-unaligned-access-in-little-endian-machines.patch

Thanks for the quick reaction. All the patches cyblafb needs to compile
and work are
included in git3 now.

A test showed that minor errors that were corrected by the patches I
received from
Antonino remain in git3 --- bitstream font 16x30 is broken a bit, as
well as rotation 2.
But these cases are not as broken as without the patches ;-)

I have no time left today and will sort out things tomorrow.

cu,
 Knut