* [LARTC] Some questions
@ 2005-12-13 12:43 Robb Bossley
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Robb Bossley @ 2005-12-13 12:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lartc

First of all, thank you to all of you who have helped to make iptables
possible, whether in writing the code for it or testing it.  It is
BETTER than sliced bread!  :-)

Anyways, I have two questions related to the use of iptables.

1.  I read on a post somewhere that it is smart to put the following
two rules at the end of one's iptables ruleset:
iptables -A INPUT -p tcp -i eth0 -j REJECT --reject-with tcp-reset
iptables -A INPUT -p udp -i eth0 -j REJECT --reject-with tcp-reset
The reasoning was that it would not look like a software firewall, but
rather would look like a machine that had no open ports.  Does this
sound reasonable?  What would all of you do?

2.  I also read on some website that it is important to use this line
in the setup for iptables:
echo "1" > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/eth0/rp_filter
What does this do (it said something about spoofing, but I did not
understand), and is it necessary?

Thank you all for your enlightenment!

Robb

* Re: [LARTC] Some questions
@ 2005-12-13 15:46 ` Jeffrey B. Ferland
From: Jeffrey B. Ferland @ 2005-12-13 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lartc

On Dec 13, 2005, at 7:43 AM, Robb Bossley wrote:
> Anyways, I have two questions related to the use of iptables.
>
> 1.  I read on a post somewhere that it is smart to put the following
> two rules at the end of one's iptables ruleset:
> iptables -A INPUT -p tcp -i eth0 -j REJECT --reject-with tcp-reset
> iptables -A INPUT -p udp -i eth0 -j REJECT --reject-with tcp-reset
> The reasoning was that it would not look like a software firewall, but
> rather would look like a machine that had no open ports.  Does this
> sound reasonable?  What would all of you do?

I only have one comment about that.... reject udp packets with a tcp
reset? I think that would look more like a very inventive
implementation of tcp/udp over ip ;)

OK, second comment: it really depends on what you want your box to
appear as.

> 2.  I also read on some website that it is important to use this line
> in the setup for iptables:
> echo "1" > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/eth0/rp_filter
> What does this do (it said something about spoofing, but I did not
> understand), and is it necessary?

It ensures that you don't generate "martian packets." If your ip is
10.0.0.1, your interface will only spit out packets with that ip
address, and silently drop the rest.

-Jeff
SIG: HUP

* Re: [LARTC] Some questions
@ 2005-12-13 21:06 ` Georgi Alexandrov
From: Georgi Alexandrov @ 2005-12-13 21:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lartc

Robb Bossley wrote:

>echo "1" > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/eth0/rp_filter
>What does this do (it said something about spoofing, but I did not
>understand), and is it necessary?

http://ipsysctl-tutorial.frozentux.net/ipsysctl-tutorial.html#AEN634

Georgi Alexandrov

* Re: [LARTC] Some questions