* Re: [Xen-changelog] Fix VCPU locking in sched_adjdom for multi-VCPU guests
       [not found] <E1F40Cd-00042S-PI@xenbits.xensource.com>
@ 2006-01-31 20:30 ` Matt Ayres
From: Matt Ayres @ 2006-01-31 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel

Does this commit in way way affect bug id # 502?

* Re: Re: [Xen-changelog] Fix VCPU locking in sched_adjdom for multi-VCPU guests
@ 2006-01-31 22:35   ` Keir Fraser
From: Keir Fraser @ 2006-01-31 22:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Ayres; +Cc: xen-devel

No chance. But noone will be able to tell what BUG you are talking
about, since you provide many attachments but no output from the BUGing
kernel.

  -- Keir

@ 2006-01-31 22:42     ` Matt Ayres
From: Matt Ayres @ 2006-01-31 22:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keir Fraser; +Cc: xen-devel

<puts on dunce hat>

I've created a comment with the BUG. I remember I was going to have
xen-bugtool include /var/log/messages, but later decided I didn't want
so many system details put out in public.

Thank you,
Matt Ayres

@ 2006-01-31 23:57       ` Keir Fraser
From: Keir Fraser @ 2006-01-31 23:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Ayres; +Cc: xen-devel

On 31 Jan 2006, at 22:42, Matt Ayres wrote:

> <puts on dunce hat>
>
> I've created a comment with the BUG. I remember I was going to have
> xen-bugtool include /var/log/messages, but later decided I didn't want
> so many system details put out in public.

How tight on memory are you running the system? The BUG is probably
happening because the guest is failing to allocate a page of memory
below 4GB. Since Xen tries to give out memory below 4GB last, that
probably means there is very little available memory.

Obviously we need a better fallback strategy than BUG(). :-)

  -- Keir

* Re: Linux 2.6 guest BUG(). (was: Re: Re: [Xen-changelog] Fix VCPU locking in sched_adjdom for multi-VCPU guests)
@ 2006-02-01 16:08         ` Matt Ayres
From: Matt Ayres @ 2006-02-01 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keir Fraser; +Cc: xen-devel

Keir Fraser wrote:

> On 31 Jan 2006, at 22:42, Matt Ayres wrote:
>
>> <puts on dunce hat>
>>
>> I've created a comment with the BUG. I remember I was going to have
>> xen-bugtool include /var/log/messages, but later decided I didn't want
>> so many system details put out in public.
>
> How tight on memory are you running the system? The BUG is probably
> happening because the guest is failing to allocate a page of memory
> below 4GB. Since Xen tries to give out memory below 4GB last, that
> probably means there is very little available memory.

I can provide dozens of BUG()'s if required.  It just happened again on
a host in dom0 to the sshd daemon and now that port is locked (netstat
-nlp reports "-" as the process name).  I am able to access the server
via the console.

I assume you mean Xen's memory usage. I am showing 141MB free out of
8112MB total.  Our scripts to add accounts don't allow adding more
accounts then there is memory for, we actually leave about 128MB as a
buffer.

> Obviously we need a better fallback strategy than BUG(). :-)

Alright captain, what do I need to do on my end? Grepping
/var/log/messages for "syscall" grants about 20+ results so something is
going very wrong.

Thank you,
Matt Ayres

* Re: Linux 2.6 guest BUG(). (was: Re: Re: [Xen-changelog] Fix VCPU locking in sched_adjdom for multi-VCPU guests)
@ 2006-02-01 16:27           ` Keir Fraser
From: Keir Fraser @ 2006-02-01 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Ayres; +Cc: xen-devel

On 1 Feb 2006, at 16:08, Matt Ayres wrote:

> I can provide dozens of BUG()'s if required.  It just happened again
> on a host in dom0 to the sshd daemon and now that port is locked
> (netstat -nlp reports "-" as the process name).  I am able to access
> the server via the console.
>
> I assume you mean Xen's memory usage. I am showing 141MB free out of
> 8112MB total.  Our scripts to add accounts don't allow adding more
> accounts then there is memory for, we actually leave about 128MB as a
> buffer.

That's a bit odd then. If you don't explicitly specify dom0's memory
allocation at boot time then you should end up with 128MB 'slack' left
unallocated. And that should all be <4GB.

If you are giving dom0 all of memory on boot, and then reducing it
later, that could be a problem (dom0 may end up giving back only memory
 >4GB).

  -- Keir

* Re: Linux 2.6 guest BUG().
@ 2006-02-01 16:34             ` Matt Ayres
From: Matt Ayres @ 2006-02-01 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keir Fraser; +Cc: xen-devel

Keir Fraser wrote:

> On 1 Feb 2006, at 16:08, Matt Ayres wrote:
>

>> I assume you mean Xen's memory usage. I am showing 141MB free out of
>> 8112MB total.  Our scripts to add accounts don't allow adding more
>> accounts then there is memory for, we actually leave about 128MB as a
>> buffer.
>
> That's a bit odd then. If you don't explicitly specify dom0's memory
> allocation at boot time then you should end up with 128MB 'slack' left
> unallocated. And that should all be <4GB.
>
> If you are giving dom0 all of memory on boot, and then reducing it
> later, that could be a problem (dom0 may end up giving back only memory
>  >4GB).

I am allocating 256MB of RAM to dom0.  I am running Fedora Core 4.  On
this particular server I am running httpd/mysqld on the host with a fair
amount of activity to it, but I have extended swap space to 1GB and
tuned both apps for low memory usage.  The memory is set statically via
kernel line in grub.  (dom0-min-mem 262144) is set in xend-config.sxp to
ensure it keeps the memory allocated to it.

Thank you,
Matt Ayres

* Re: Linux 2.6 guest BUG().
@ 2006-02-01 19:07             ` Matt Ayres
From: Matt Ayres @ 2006-02-01 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keir Fraser; +Cc: xen-devel

Keir Fraser wrote:

> On 1 Feb 2006, at 16:08, Matt Ayres wrote:
>
>> I can provide dozens of BUG()'s if required.  It just happened again
>> on a host in dom0 to the sshd daemon and now that port is locked
>> (netstat -nlp reports "-" as the process name).  I am able to access
>> the server via the console.
>>
>> I assume you mean Xen's memory usage. I am showing 141MB free out of
>> 8112MB total.  Our scripts to add accounts don't allow adding more
>> accounts then there is memory for, we actually leave about 128MB as a
>> buffer.
>
> That's a bit odd then. If you don't explicitly specify dom0's memory
> allocation at boot time then you should end up with 128MB 'slack' left
> unallocated. And that should all be <4GB.
>
> If you are giving dom0 all of memory on boot, and then reducing it
> later, that could be a problem (dom0 may end up giving back only memory
>  >4GB).

Just as an update, I just "upgraded" this specific host from -unstable
to 3.0-testing (3.0.1) and I will report back if I still receive these
BUG()'s.