* [U-Boot-Users] Peripheral initialization hooks
@ 2006-02-13 20:24 Steve Strublic
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Steve Strublic @ 2006-02-13 20:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hello all,

I have a PPC852T platform running U-Boot.  My platform has the ability
to enable or disable the Ethernet PHY directly, and at boot the PHY is
disabled.  It must be enabled, through a register in an FPGA that is
accessed through a separate chip select.

Is it acceptable to modify board_init_r() to include a call to an
enable/disable function that would only apply if my board were defined?
Or are there any hooks for board-specific initializations?

Also, given that this is related to Ethernet, I think it's best that I
enable the PHY immediately before querying the config for 'ethaddr' in
board_init_r().  Agree/disagree?

TIA,

Steve

------

Steve Strublic

Network Solutions Group

Hypercom Corporation

Phoenix, AZ

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [U-Boot-Users] Peripheral initialization hooks
@ 2006-02-14  0:25 ` Shawn Jin
From: Shawn Jin @ 2006-02-14  0:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

> Is it acceptable to modify board_init_r() to include a call to an
> enable/disable function that would only apply if my board were defined?  Or
> are there any hooks for board-specific initializations?

The hooks are already there. I would recommend board_early_init_f() or
board_early_init_r() which can be turned on/off by the board
configuration header file.

Regards,
-Shawn.

* [U-Boot-Users] Peripheral initialization hooks
@ 2006-02-14 23:28 ` Tolunay Orkun
From: Tolunay Orkun @ 2006-02-14 23:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Steve,

Steve Strublic wrote:

 > I have a PPC852T platform running U-Boot.  My platform has the ability
 > to enable or disable the Ethernet PHY directly, and at boot the PHY is
 > disabled.  It must be enabled, through a register in an FPGA that is
 > accessed through a separate chip select.
 >

 > Is it acceptable to modify board_init_r() to include a call to an
 > enable/disable function that would only apply if my board were defined?
 > Or are there any hooks for board-specific initializations?
 >

 > Also, given that this is related to Ethernet, I think it?s best that I
 > enable the PHY immediately before querying the config for ?ethaddr? in
 > board_init_r().  Agree/disagree?

I personally would stay away modifying common code if there is a way to
do it. You surely will make it modifications conditional for your board
but still it is a distribution of your board programming logic into
other files that are not obvious immediately.

What if you enable CONFIG_BOARD_EARLY_INIT_F in your board config file
and create a board_early_init_f() that enables all your PHYs and leave
it enabled?

Unless there is a serious issues with that, I would choose to keep all
your PHYs enabled. This assumes that you have initialized your FPGA CS
in your board initialization.

I use early init to initialize PLL to generate correct frquency for my
external serial console clock and a number of other clocks.

Tolunay

* [U-Boot-Users] Peripheral initialization hooks
@ 2006-02-17  0:07 ` Wolfgang Denk
From: Wolfgang Denk @ 2006-02-17  0:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

In message <482F3C06ECF00C44AEC226520C6FCB1A51ECB9@EXCHANGEVS.HYPERCOM.COM> you wrote:

> Is it acceptable to modify board_init_r() to include a call to an
> enable/disable function that would only apply if my board were defined?

No, it is not, as there are already too many such hooks available.

> Or are there any hooks for board-specific initializations?

Yes, there are.

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Prepare for tomorrow -- get ready.
	-- Edith Keeler, "The City On the Edge of Forever",
	   stardate unknown

* [U-Boot-Users] Peripheral initialization hooks
@ 2006-02-17 16:24 Steve Strublic
From: Steve Strublic @ 2006-02-17 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

I have resolved the issue to my satisfaction by using the hooks.

Thanks,

Steve

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de

@ 2006-02-14 17:12 Steve Strublic
From: Steve Strublic @ 2006-02-14 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Thanks Shawn,

I think board_early_init_f() is a little too early to mess with the
Ethernet PHY.  However, I saw the hook for reset_phy() later on in
board_reset_r(), which is perfect.  So I hooked that for my board, and
voila!

Steve