* ar9271 mailing list and driver project page
@ 2009-08-28  2:43 ` Luis R. Rodriguez
From: Luis R. Rodriguez @ 2009-08-28  2:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: devel; +Cc: linux-wireless, linux-kernel, Greg KH, John W. Linville

I'd like to announce the ar9271 development project will make use of
the Linux driver project mailing list as it is not upstream yet.
ar9271 development now also has a home page:

http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/ar9271

You can subscribe to this page for updates. I've tried to do a big
brain dump on documentation from what I understand of ar9271
HTC/HIF/WMI stuff so far. If you'd like to get followups on ar9271 I
suggest you either subscribe to the wiki page or subscribe to the
Linux driver development mailing list as no patches or information
will be posted to linux-wireless until it is ready for upstream
inclusion.

  Luis

From: Luis R. Rodriguez @ 2009-08-28  2:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: devel; +Cc: linux-wireless, linux-kernel, Greg KH, John W. Linville

I'd like to announce the ar9271 development project will make use of
the Linux driver project mailing list as it is not upstream yet.
ar9271 development now also has a home page:

http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/ar9271

You can subscribe to this page for updates. I've tried to do a big
brain dump on documentation from what I understand of ar9271
HTC/HIF/WMI stuff so far. If you'd like to get followups on ar9271 I
suggest you either subscribe to the wiki page or subscribe to the
Linux driver development mailing list as no patches or information
will be posted to linux-wireless until it is ready for upstream
inclusion.

  Luis

* Re: ar9271 mailing list and driver project page
@ 2009-08-28  7:34   ` Holger Schurig
From: Holger Schurig @ 2009-08-28  7:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luis R. Rodriguez; +Cc: devel, linux-wireless, linux-kernel, Greg KH

> ar9271 and ar9170 seem to share a few things, one of which is
> firmware upload. ar9271's firmware upload routine was modified
> to make it match ar9170's as much as possible to share it on
> ath.ko

Is it true that most devices which will use ath.ko won't ever use
firmware uploading?  It's only a few Ath-USB devices, so maybe
you could do an ath_fw.ko for this.

(Somebody who's always working with embedded devices and likes to
keeps small :-)

--
http://www.holgerschurig.de

From: Holger Schurig @ 2009-08-28  7:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luis R. Rodriguez; +Cc: devel, linux-wireless, linux-kernel, Greg KH

@ 2009-08-28 16:23     ` Luis R. Rodriguez
From: Luis R. Rodriguez @ 2009-08-28 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Holger Schurig
  Cc: devel, linux-wireless, linux-kernel, Greg KH, Christoph Hellwig

On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 12:34 AM, Holger
Schurig<hs4233@mail.mn-solutions.de> wrote:
>> ar9271 and ar9170 seem to share a few things, one of which is
>> firmware upload. ar9271's firmware upload routine was modified
>> to make it match ar9170's as much as possible to share it on
>> ath.ko
>
> Is it true that most devices which will use ath.ko won't ever use
> firmware uploading?

For now only usb devices require firmware loading, but so does ar6k,
however I am not sure how fw upload works there so I cannot be certain
the way to upload fw will be the same as with ar9170 and ar9271.

> It's only a few Ath-USB devices, so maybe
> you could do an ath_fw.ko for this.

True, or ath_usb, or something, only thing is it might be overkill to
just have 1 fw upload routine on a module for sharing.

> (Somebody who's always working with embedded devices and likes to
> keeps small :-)

Hey thanks :)

From: Luis R. Rodriguez @ 2009-08-28 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Holger Schurig
  Cc: devel, linux-wireless, linux-kernel, Greg KH, Christoph Hellwig

On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 12:34 AM, Holger
Schurig<hs4233@mail.mn-solutions.de> wrote:
>> ar9271 and ar9170 seem to share a few things, one of which is
>> firmware upload. ar9271's firmware upload routine was modified
>> to make it match ar9170's as much as possible to share it on
>> ath.ko
>
> Is it true that most devices which will use ath.ko won't ever use
> firmware uploading?

For now only usb devices require firmware loading, but so does ar6k,
however I am not sure how fw upload works there so I cannot be certain
the way to upload fw will be the same as with ar9170 and ar9271.

> It's only a few Ath-USB devices, so maybe
> you could do an ath_fw.ko for this.

True, or ath_usb, or something, only thing is it might be overkill to
just have 1 fw upload routine on a module for sharing.

> (Somebody who's always working with embedded devices and likes to
> keeps small :-)

Hey thanks :)

  Luis