* Infrastructure Workgroup?
@ 2018-10-30 15:49 Andrew Geissler
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: Andrew Geissler @ 2018-10-30 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: OpenBMC Maillist

Based on some recent discussion in this area, I'm contemplating
forming an Infrastructure workgroup. The focus would be on improving
our CI infrastructure and the scripts and tools around it.

There's been a lot of great community effort already around our CI
build scripts.

Some thoughts on goals:
- Documenting the existing flow
- Alternatives to existing flow (ability to use freely provides clouds
for open source projects, ...)
- Managing the Jenkins nodes - Bringing new nodes online quickly
(chef, puppet, ansible?)
- Managing and optimizing the CI flow (repository CI, meta CI, openbmc CI)
-- Which systems do we build?
- Process for adding hardware CI (mechanism for individuals to add HW
CI to gerrit commits)
- Optimizations to existing scripts (docker building, CI, QEMU)
- Gerrit, Jenkins, and build node periodic update process
- Overall maintenance and responsibilities for infrastructure

Thoughts or interest?

Andrew

* Re: Infrastructure Workgroup?
@ 2018-10-30 18:07 ` Adriana Kobylak
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Adriana Kobylak @ 2018-10-30 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Geissler; +Cc: OpenBMC Maillist, openbmc

On 2018-10-30 10:49, Andrew Geissler wrote:
> Based on some recent discussion in this area, I'm contemplating
> forming an Infrastructure workgroup. The focus would be on improving
> our CI infrastructure and the scripts and tools around it.
>
> There's been a lot of great community effort already around our CI
> build scripts.
>
> Some thoughts on goals:
> - Documenting the existing flow
> - Alternatives to existing flow (ability to use freely provides clouds
> for open source projects, ...)
> - Managing the Jenkins nodes - Bringing new nodes online quickly
> (chef, puppet, ansible?)
> - Managing and optimizing the CI flow (repository CI, meta CI, openbmc
> CI)
> -- Which systems do we build?
> - Process for adding hardware CI (mechanism for individuals to add HW
> CI to gerrit commits)
> - Optimizations to existing scripts (docker building, CI, QEMU)
> - Gerrit, Jenkins, and build node periodic update process
> - Overall maintenance and responsibilities for infrastructure
>
> Thoughts or interest?

+1 . This would become important as the org grows. Also setting
guidelines
on the minimum tests and platforms that need to pass before a change is
accepted.

> Andrew

* Re: Infrastructure Workgroup?
@ 2018-10-30 18:44 ` Sai Dasari
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Sai Dasari @ 2018-10-30 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Geissler, OpenBMC Maillist

On 10/30/18, 8:55 AM, "openbmc on behalf of Andrew Geissler" <openbmc-bounces+sdasari=fb.com@lists.ozlabs.org on behalf of geissonator@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

Thanks for starting this great initiative! Will be happy to be part of this infra workgroup.

@ 2018-10-31 20:46 ` krtaylor
From: krtaylor @ 2018-10-31 20:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openbmc

On 10/30/18 10:49 AM, Andrew Geissler wrote:
> Based on some recent discussion in this area, I'm contemplating
> forming an Infrastructure workgroup. The focus would be on improving
> our CI infrastructure and the scripts and tools around it.

Actually, when I was suggesting this, I was thinking even broader. There
is a need for folks interested in keeping *all* of our services and
system resources healthy, not just our test systems.

I would think that the Test WG would take care of defining and
automating test, the infrastructure WG would take care of the resources
that Test needed for CI.

That said, it makes sense for the first order of work for the Infra WG
would be to bolster the CI Test services and resources. There will be
big early overlaps for sure.

I'll be happy to help as I can, at least initially. I have CI/DevOps
experts in my network that I can get recommendations from as well.

Kurt Taylor (krtaylor)

> There's been a lot of great community effort already around our CI
> build scripts.
>
> Some thoughts on goals:
> - Documenting the existing flow
> - Alternatives to existing flow (ability to use freely provides clouds
> for open source projects, ...)
> - Managing the Jenkins nodes - Bringing new nodes online quickly
> (chef, puppet, ansible?)
> - Managing and optimizing the CI flow (repository CI, meta CI, openbmc CI)
> -- Which systems do we build?
> - Process for adding hardware CI (mechanism for individuals to add HW
> CI to gerrit commits)
> - Optimizations to existing scripts (docker building, CI, QEMU)
> - Gerrit, Jenkins, and build node periodic update process
> - Overall maintenance and responsibilities for infrastructure
>
> Thoughts or interest?
>
> Andrew

* Re: Infrastructure Workgroup?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2018-11-02  2:22 ` Joel Stanley
From: Joel Stanley @ 2018-11-02  2:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Geissler; +Cc: OpenBMC Maillist

On Wed, 31 Oct 2018 at 02:24, Andrew Geissler <geissonator@gmail.com> wrote:

> Based on some recent discussion in this area, I'm contemplating
> forming an Infrastructure workgroup. The focus would be on improving
> our CI infrastructure and the scripts and tools around it.
>
> There's been a lot of great community effort already around our CI
> build scripts.
>
> Some thoughts on goals:
> - Documenting the existing flow
> - Alternatives to existing flow (ability to use freely provides clouds
> for open source projects, ...)
> - Managing the Jenkins nodes - Bringing new nodes online quickly
> (chef, puppet, ansible?)
> - Managing and optimizing the CI flow (repository CI, meta CI, openbmc CI)
> -- Which systems do we build?
> - Process for adding hardware CI (mechanism for individuals to add HW
> CI to gerrit commits)
> - Optimizations to existing scripts (docker building, CI, QEMU)
> - Gerrit, Jenkins, and build node periodic update process
> - Overall maintenance and responsibilities for infrastructure
>
> Thoughts or interest?

I'm interested.

I wrote the scripts that were used as the basis for our CI. I recently
revisited them to fix an issue, and there is a lot of bitrot there. I
would be interested in seeing that resolved.

I would also like to help enable the compute power we do have to be
used effectively. Currently we have a lot of CPU cores sitting idle
while there are jobs in the queue.

Cheers,

Joel

* Re: Infrastructure Workgroup?
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2018-11-02  9:45 ` Brad Bishop
From: Brad Bishop @ 2018-11-02  9:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Geissler; +Cc: OpenBMC Maillist

> On Oct 30, 2018, at 11:49 AM, Andrew Geissler <geissonator@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Thoughts or interest?

Thanks for doing this Andrew.  I’d like to participate.

-brad

* Re: Infrastructure Workgroup?
@ 2018-11-05 17:53   ` Ping Mao
From: Ping Mao @ 2018-11-05 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)