* [Xenomai-help] IRQ1 forwarded to Linux?
@ 2006-04-27 11:17 ROSSIER Daniel
From: ROSSIER Daniel @ 2006-04-27 11:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xenomai

Hello,

We have a small Xeno application which implements an interrupt service
(ISR) on IRQ 1 (keyboard) - quite stupid, but

just for testing. If we understand well, returning from the ISR with
RET_INTR_HANDLED should not propagate the

IRQ to the other domains, therefore to the Linux one, right?

Why can we then keep working with the shell? (I expect that we can not
interact with the shell, even not see the echoed char.).

Does Xenomai patch the keyb driver?

(We've seen that on /proc/xenomai/irq, we get the IRQ1 count, but NOT on
the /proc/interrupts, as expected).

Thanks for your help

Daniel

* Re: [Xenomai-help] IRQ1 forwarded to Linux?
@ 2006-04-27 11:57 ` Philippe Gerum
From: Philippe Gerum @ 2006-04-27 11:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ROSSIER Daniel; +Cc: xenomai

ROSSIER Daniel wrote:
> Hello,
>

> We have a small Xeno application which implements an interrupt service
> (ISR) on IRQ 1 (keyboard) – quite stupid, but

What does the following say?
$ cat /proc/ipipe/Linux

> just for testing. If we understand well, returning from the ISR with
> RET_INTR_HANDLED should not propagate the
>
> IRQ to the other domains, therefore to the Linux one, right?
>
> Why can we then keep working with the shell? (I expect that we can not
> interact with the shell, even not see the echoed char.).
>

> Does Xenomai patch the keyb driver?
>

> (We've seen that on /proc/xenomai/irq, we get the IRQ1 count, but NOT on
> the /proc/interrupts, as expected).
>

> Thanks for your help
>

> Daniel

Philippe.

* Re: [Xenomai-help] IRQ1 forwarded to Linux?
@ 2006-04-27 11:59 ` Philippe Gerum
From: Philippe Gerum @ 2006-04-27 11:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ROSSIER Daniel; +Cc: xenomai

ROSSIER Daniel wrote:
> Hello,
>

> We have a small Xeno application which implements an interrupt service
> (ISR) on IRQ 1 (keyboard) – quite stupid, but

Sorry,

- $ cat /proc/ipipe/Linux
+ $ cat /proc/ipipe/Xenomai

when your test is loaded would be useful to understand why Linux still
gets the kbd IRQs.

> just for testing. If we understand well, returning from the ISR with
> RET_INTR_HANDLED should not propagate the
>
> IRQ to the other domains, therefore to the Linux one, right?
>
> Why can we then keep working with the shell? (I expect that we can not
> interact with the shell, even not see the echoed char.).
>

> Does Xenomai patch the keyb driver?

No.

> (We've seen that on /proc/xenomai/irq, we get the IRQ1 count, but NOT on
> the /proc/interrupts, as expected).
>

> Thanks for your help
>

> Daniel

Philippe.

* Re: [Xenomai-help] IRQ1 forwarded to Linux?
@ 2006-04-27 16:20       ` Philippe Gerum
From: Philippe Gerum @ 2006-04-27 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guillaume Boutillier; +Cc: xenomai

Guillaume Boutillier wrote:
>>Guillaume Boutillier wrote:
>>
>>>Hello,

>>>I checked when I run my application...
>>>But I couldn't understand the meaning of the different flags : accepted,
>>>passed and grabbed?!
>>>

>>What about posting the output to this list? Maybe someone could help.
>>

> Sorry I forgot the results...
>
> when I run the application with RT_INTR_PROPAGATE :
>
> $ cat /proc/ipipe/Xenomai
> Priority=200, Id=0x58454e4f
> irq0-1: grabbed
> irq2-31: passed
> irq32-33: passed, virtual
> irq34: grabbed, virtual
>
> $ cat /proc/ipipe/Linux
> Priority=100, Id=0x00000000
> irq0-15: accepted
> irq32-33: grabbed, virtual
> irq34: passed, virtual
>

> when I run the application with RT_INTR_HANDLED
>
> $ cat /proc/ipipe/Xenomai
> Priority=200, Id=0x58454e4f
> irq0-1: grabbed
> irq2-31: passed
> irq32-33: passed, virtual
> irq34: grabbed, virtual
>
> $ cat /proc/ipipe/Linux
> Priority=100, Id=0x00000000
> irq0-15: accepted
> irq32-33: grabbed, virtual
> irq34: passed, virtual

"grabbed" means that the domain intercepts the IRQ, and will let its own
handler decide whether the interrupt needs to be propagated down the
pipeline or not (a manual call to ipipe_propagate_irq will be needed if
so). IOW, Adeos stops scanning the pipeline chain upon IRQ receipt after
this domain's stage; it would do that otherwise to discover new
(lower-priority) domains wanting to handle this IRQ too.

"accepted" means that Adeos will let the domain process the IRQ, and
keep on searching for (lower-priority) domains wanting to handle it too.

"passed" means that Adeos will not ask the domain to handle the IRQ, but
will try to pass it to the next domain down the pipeline.

"discarded" means to make as if the IRQ never happened starting from the
current one, i.e. neither the current nor the lower-priority domain will
ever know about it.

Regarding the specific case of the keyboard input still working despite
the kbd interrupts can't flow, it's likely due to the fact that the
input sub-system (i8042 serio driver) also polls the attached devices
according to a HZ/20 period, in addition to handling the interrupts.

--

Philippe.

* Re: [Xenomai-help] IRQ1 forwarded to Linux?
@ 2006-04-27 15:36     ` Guillaume Boutillier
From: Guillaume Boutillier @ 2006-04-27 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philippe Gerum; +Cc: xenomai

> Guillaume Boutillier wrote:
> > Hello,

> > I checked when I run my application...
> > But I couldn't understand the meaning of the different flags : accepted,
> > passed and grabbed?!
> >

> What about posting the output to this list? Maybe someone could help.

Sorry I forgot the results...

when I run the application with RT_INTR_PROPAGATE :

$ cat /proc/ipipe/Xenomai
Priority=200, Id=0x58454e4f
irq0-1: grabbed
irq2-31: passed
irq32-33: passed, virtual
irq34: grabbed, virtual

$ cat /proc/ipipe/Linux
Priority=100, Id=0x00000000
irq0-15: accepted
irq32-33: grabbed, virtual
irq34: passed, virtual

when I run the application with RT_INTR_HANDLED

$ cat /proc/ipipe/Xenomai
Priority=200, Id=0x58454e4f
irq0-1: grabbed
irq2-31: passed
irq32-33: passed, virtual
irq34: grabbed, virtual

$ cat /proc/ipipe/Linux
Priority=100, Id=0x00000000
irq0-15: accepted
irq32-33: grabbed, virtual
irq34: passed, virtual

Thanks

Guillaume

@ 2006-04-27 14:56   ` Philippe Gerum
From: Philippe Gerum @ 2006-04-27 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guillaume Boutillier; +Cc: xenomai

Guillaume Boutillier wrote:

>>>Sorry,
>>>
>>>- $ cat /proc/ipipe/Linux
>>>+ $ cat /proc/ipipe/Xenomai
>

> I checked when I run my application...
> But I couldn't understand the meaning of the different flags : accepted,
> passed and grabbed?!

What about posting the output to this list? Maybe someone could help.

>>>when your test is loaded would be useful to understand why Linux still
>>>gets the kbd IRQs.

>>>No.

> Thanks for your help
>
> Guillaume Boutillier
>

>>pièce jointe message de courriel, "Message transféré - Re:
>>[Xenomai-help] IRQ1 forwarded to Linux?"

>>>What does the following say?
>>>$ cat /proc/ipipe/Linux

Philippe.