* bluetooth plugin "jittery" and "sticky"
@ 2006-04-26  9:09 Brad Midgley
From: Brad Midgley @ 2006-04-26  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

Hi

We finally got around to working on the stereo (a2dp) bluetooth alsa
plugin. It's mostly working in the cvs version of the project "btsco" at
http://bluetooth-alsa.sf.net.

One thing that isn't quite right is the readout in xmms jitters back and
forth and xmms often gets stuck and crashes with "Message: alsa mixer
timed out" at the end of the song. Is there something we should be
looking at or are there common gotchas we should know about in writing
plugins?

Brad

* Re: bluetooth plugin "jittery" and "sticky"
@ 2006-04-27 10:46 ` Takashi Iwai
From: Takashi Iwai @ 2006-04-27 10:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brad Midgley; +Cc: alsa-devel

At Wed, 26 Apr 2006 03:09:15 -0600,
Brad Midgley wrote:

> Hi
>
> We finally got around to working on the stereo (a2dp) bluetooth alsa
> plugin. It's mostly working in the cvs version of the project "btsco" at
> http://bluetooth-alsa.sf.net.
>
> One thing that isn't quite right is the readout in xmms jitters back and
> forth and xmms often gets stuck and crashes with "Message: alsa mixer
> timed out" at the end of the song. Is there something we should be
> looking at or are there common gotchas we should know about in writing
> plugins?

Hm, it's a bit too ambiguous to say something.  Could you elaborate
what do you mean xmms jitters?  The time springs or just the audio
matters?

The mixer time out should be easier to debug, I guess.

Anyway, AFAIK, there is no known issue about plugins regarding the
symptom above.

Takashi

* Re: bluetooth plugin "jittery" and "sticky"
@ 2006-04-27 14:20   ` Brad Midgley
From: Brad Midgley @ 2006-04-27 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Takashi Iwai; +Cc: alsa-devel

Takashi

>> We finally got around to working on the stereo (a2dp) bluetooth alsa
>> plugin. It's mostly working in the cvs version of the project "btsco" at
>> http://bluetooth-alsa.sf.net.
>
> Hm, it's a bit too ambiguous to say something.  Could you elaborate
> what do you mean xmms jitters?  The time springs or just the audio
> matters?

The time display in xmms goes back and forth between two values. It
counts like 02,01,02,01,02,03,02,03,02,03 so it does actually go
forward. The audio sounds fine. It's just the display doesn't look right
and xmms locks up at the end of a song.

I think it's in our .transfer callback, a2dp_transfer. I had two
versions contributed. The other version, a2dp_transfer2, randomly locks
up xmms but when it works, the time display looks ok and xmms can switch
between songs without problems.

We have to enforce timing of packets sent to the headset in the
.transfer cb. Is there a plugin out there I can look at that also has to
deal with timing? We're not sure how to best enforce it... see
http://bluetooth-alsa.sf.net/pcm_a2dp.c

Brad