* Should we tag master?
@ 2018-10-13 21:08 Gunnar Mills
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Gunnar Mills @ 2018-10-13 21:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: OpenBMC Maillist

I think we should tag in the next week or two with a v2.4. I know it is
pretty arbitrary when we tag, but I have heard several companies use it.
The last time we tagged was July 12th and there have been over 600
commits since then. The last few tags have been every ~3 months, so we
are due by that schedule. The Release Planning Group is planning a 2.6
release in January but until then I vote we continue to tag every 3
months. There was some discussion on the mailing in August about this:
https://lists.ozlabs.org/pipermail/openbmc/2018-August/012922.html

Thanks,
Gunnar

* Re: Should we tag master?
@ 2018-10-13 21:13 ` Patrick Venture
From: Patrick Venture @ 2018-10-13 21:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gmills; +Cc: OpenBMC Maillist

On Sat, Oct 13, 2018 at 2:09 PM Gunnar Mills <gmills@linux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:

> I think we should tag in the next week or two with a v2.4. I know it is
> pretty arbitrary when we tag, but I have heard several companies use it.
> The last time we tagged was July 12th and there have been over 600
> commits since then. The last few tags have been every ~3 months, so we
> are due by that schedule. The Release Planning Group is planning a 2.6
> release in January but until then I vote we continue to tag every 3
> months. There was some discussion on the mailing in August about this:
> https://lists.ozlabs.org/pipermail/openbmc/2018-August/012922.html

My only thought is, it might benefit to wait until the great renaming
is done or closer to done so that when downstream distros (like ours)
rebase, they will be rebasing onto a more stable version.  I expect
Brad and I will be done in a couple weeks, so I'm not anticipating
needing a long delay on this.

> Thanks,
> Gunnar

* Re: Should we tag master?
@ 2018-10-13 21:30 ` Tanous, Ed
From: Tanous, Ed @ 2018-10-13 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gunnar Mills; +Cc: OpenBMC Maillist

+1

* Re: Should we tag master?
@ 2018-10-14 22:30 ` Joel Stanley
From: Joel Stanley @ 2018-10-14 22:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gmills; +Cc: OpenBMC Maillist

On Sun, 14 Oct 2018 at 07:39, Gunnar Mills <gmills@linux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:

> I think we should tag in the next week or two with a v2.4.

Yes please!

* Re: Should we tag master?
@ 2018-10-29 19:27   ` Brad Bishop
From: Brad Bishop @ 2018-10-29 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patrick Venture; +Cc: Gunnar Mills, OpenBMC Maillist

> On Oct 13, 2018, at 5:13 PM, Patrick Venture <venture@google.com> wrote:
>
> On Sat, Oct 13, 2018 at 2:09 PM Gunnar Mills <gmills@linux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:
>>
>> I think we should tag in the next week or two with a v2.4. I know it is
>> pretty arbitrary when we tag, but I have heard several companies use it.
>> The last time we tagged was July 12th and there have been over 600
>> commits since then. The last few tags have been every ~3 months, so we
>> are due by that schedule. The Release Planning Group is planning a 2.6
>> release in January but until then I vote we continue to tag every 3
>> months. There was some discussion on the mailing in August about this:
>> https://lists.ozlabs.org/pipermail/openbmc/2018-August/012922.html
>
> My only thought is, it might benefit to wait until the great renaming
> is done or closer to done so that when downstream distros (like ours)
> rebase, they will be rebasing onto a more stable version.  I expect
> Brad and I will be done in a couple weeks, so I'm not anticipating
> needing a long delay on this.
>

>> Thanks,
>> Gunnar

This was discussed on the community call today.  I’ll start limiting
meta-phosphor content to fixes only on 11/11 and then I’ll do a v2.4 tag
on 11/16.

thx - brad

* Re: Should we tag master?
@ 2018-10-29 20:31     ` Gunnar Mills
From: Gunnar Mills @ 2018-10-29 20:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brad Bishop, Patrick Venture; +Cc: OpenBMC Maillist

On 10/29/2018 2:27 PM, Brad Bishop wrote:
> This was discussed on the community call today.  I’ll start limiting
> meta-phosphor content to fixes only on 11/11 and then I’ll do a v2.4 tag
> on 11/16.

Sounds great. Thanks Brad!

* Re: Should we tag master?
@ 2018-11-12 17:25     ` Brad Bishop
From: Brad Bishop @ 2018-11-12 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openbmc

> This was discussed on the community call today.  I’ll start limiting
> meta-phosphor content to fixes only on 11/11 and then I’ll do a v2.4
> tag on 11/16.

Just a reminder that I will only be merging bug fixes in meta-phosphor
this week to prepare for the tag on Friday.

Please test your platforms to make sure they work when we tag.

thx - brad