* jethro 2.0.1/ubi-utils not installed on target
@ 2016-02-16  9:03 gmane
From: gmane @ 2016-02-16  9:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto; +Cc: paul.eggleton-VuQAYsv1563Yd54FQh9/CA

Hi,

I would like to have ubi-utils, which is part of mtd-utils, installed on
my target.

It seems to be insufficient to add mtd-utils to a packagegroup[1] and
add this to the image for it to be installed in the image.
The package is being built and I can install it afterwards e.g. opkg
install mtd-utils-ubifs_1.5.1+git0+9f107132a6-r0_armv7a

Is it intended to be like this?

Regards,

Robert

[1]
https://github.com/RobertBerger/meta-mainline/blob/jethro-training-v4.4.x/multi-v7-ml/recipes-core/packagegroups/packagegroup-tools-fs.bb

* Re: jethro 2.0.1/ubi-utils not installed on target
@ 2016-02-16 11:40 ` Burton, Ross
From: Burton, Ross @ 2016-02-16 11:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Berger; +Cc: yocto, paul.eggleton-VuQAYsv1563Yd54FQh9/CA

On 16 February 2016 at 09:03, <gmane@reliableembeddedsystems.com> wrote:

> It seems to be insufficient to add mtd-utils to a packagegroup[1] and add
> this to the image for it to be installed in the image.
> The package is being built and I can install it afterwards e.g. opkg
> install mtd-utils-ubifs_1.5.1+git0+9f107132a6-r0_armv7a
>
> Is it intended to be like this?

Yes.  As you said the resulting package is called mtd-utils-ubifs, so
that's the name you need to use in the packagegroup.

Ross

* Re: jethro 2.0.1/ubi-utils not installed on target
@ 2016-02-17  8:47   ` gmane
From: gmane @ 2016-02-17  8:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Burton, Ross; +Cc: yocto, chris_larson, paul.eggleton-VuQAYsv1563Yd54FQh9/CA

On 2016-02-16 05:40, Burton, Ross wrote:
Hi,

> On 16 February 2016 at 09:03, <gmane@reliableembeddedsystems.com>
> wrote:
>
>> It seems to be insufficient to add mtd-utils to a packagegroup[1]
>> and add this to the image for it to be installed in the image.
>> The package is being built and I can install it afterwards e.g.
>> opkg install mtd-utils-ubifs_1.5.1+git0+9f107132a6-r0_armv7a
>>
>> Is it intended to be like this?
>
> Yes.  As you said the resulting package is called mtd-utils-ubifs, so
> that's the name you need to use in the packagegroup.

Thanks. I figured this out in the meantime;)

I looked into mtd-utils.bb and the packages built where I found
mtd-utils-ubifs, which does not seem a very generic approach.

One recipe can result in more than one packages, so

-s, --show-versions   Show current and preferred versions of all
recipes.

does not show all packages.

> bitbake -s | grep mtd
core-image-minimal-mtdutils                           :1.0-r0
mtd-utils                           :1.5.1+gitAUTOINC+9f107132a6-r0
mtd-utils-native                    :1.5.1+gitAUTOINC+9f107132a6-r0
mtdev                                               :1.1.5-r0

How can I get a list of all available packages? Maybe there are more
hidden secrets;)

What I've found so far is[1], but still I don't get the complete list of
available packages:

bb search-packages mtd
Parsing recipes..done.
Gathering preferred recipe filenames...done
core-image-minimal-mtdutils:
   Packages:
     core-image-minimal-mtdutils
mtd-utils-native:
   Packages:
     mtd-utils-native
mtd-utils:
   Packages:
     mtd-utils-misc
     mtd-utils-doc
     mtd-utils-jffs2
     mtd-utils-ubifs
     mtd-utils-staticdev
     mtd-utils-dev
     mtd-utils-locale
     mtd-utils
     mtd-utils-dbg
mtdev:
   Packages:
     mtdev-locale
     mtdev-dbg
     mtdev-staticdev
     mtdev-doc
     mtdev
     mtdev-dev

[1] https://github.com/kergoth/bb

> Ross

Regards,

Robert

* Re: jethro 2.0.1/ubi-utils not installed on target
@ 2016-02-17 10:07     ` Paul Eggleton
From: Paul Eggleton @ 2016-02-17 10:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gmane; +Cc: yocto, chris_larson

Hi Robert,

On Wed, 17 Feb 2016 02:47:46 gmane@reliableembeddedsystems.com wrote:
> On 2016-02-16 05:40, Burton, Ross wrote:
> > On 16 February 2016 at 09:03, <gmane@reliableembeddedsystems.com>
> > wrote:
> >> It seems to be insufficient to add mtd-utils to a packagegroup[1]
> >> and add this to the image for it to be installed in the image.
> >> The package is being built and I can install it afterwards e.g.
> >> opkg install mtd-utils-ubifs_1.5.1+git0+9f107132a6-r0_armv7a
> >>
> >> Is it intended to be like this?
> >
> > Yes.  As you said the resulting package is called mtd-utils-ubifs, so
> > that's the name you need to use in the packagegroup.
>
> Thanks. I figured this out in the meantime;)
>
> I looked into mtd-utils.bb and the packages built where I found
> mtd-utils-ubifs, which does not seem a very generic approach.
>
> One recipe can result in more than one packages, so
>
> -s, --show-versions   Show current and preferred versions of all
> recipes.
>
> does not show all packages.

No, because bitbake -s lists recipes, not packages.

If you want the complete list of packages you can only get it after a recipe
has been built, at which time oe-pkgdata-util can be used:

$ oe-pkgdata-util list-pkgs -p mtd-utils
mtd-utils-jffs2
mtd-utils-ubifs
mtd-utils-misc
mtd-utils-dbg
mtd-utils-dev
mtd-utils-doc
mtd-utils

The reason this is only available after building (strictly speaking, after
do_packagedata has executed for the recipe in question) is that often the list
of packages isn't determined until then; for example, kernel module packages
are completely dynamic based on those modules that are enabled.

Cheers,
Paul

PS if you wish to email me could you please use my email address rather than
the gmane alias you're currently using.

--

Paul Eggleton
Intel Open Source Technology Centre

* Re: jethro 2.0.1/ubi-utils not installed on target
@ 2016-02-17 16:10       ` gmane
From: gmane @ 2016-02-17 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Eggleton; +Cc: yocto, chris_larson

Hi,

On 2016-02-17 04:07, Paul Eggleton wrote:
> Hi Robert,
>

> If you want the complete list of packages you can only get it after a
> recipe
> has been built, at which time oe-pkgdata-util can be used:
>
> $ oe-pkgdata-util list-pkgs -p mtd-utils
> mtd-utils-jffs2
> mtd-utils-ubifs
> mtd-utils-misc
> mtd-utils-dbg
> mtd-utils-dev
> mtd-utils-doc
> mtd-utils
>
> The reason this is only available after building (strictly speaking,
> after
> do_packagedata has executed for the recipe in question) is that often
> the list
> of packages isn't determined until then; for example, kernel module
> packages
> are completely dynamic based on those modules that are enabled.
>
> Cheers,
> Paul

Thanks.

So would something I hacked up quickly like this work?

test.sh:
-->
bitbake -s |  awk '{ print $1}' > test.txt
tail -n +6 test.txt > test1.txt
while IFS='' read -r line || [[ -n "$line" ]]; do
     echo "-->"
     echo "oe-pkgdata-util list-pkgs -p $line"
     oe-pkgdata-util list-pkgs -p $line 2> /dev/null
     echo "<--"
done < test1.txt
<--

./test.sh | grep mtd
oe-pkgdata-util list-pkgs -p core-image-minimal-mtdutils
oe-pkgdata-util list-pkgs -p mtd-utils
mtd-utils-jffs2
mtd-utils-ubifs
mtd-utils-misc
mtd-utils-dbg
mtd-utils-dev
mtd-utils-doc
mtd-utils
oe-pkgdata-util list-pkgs -p mtd-utils-native
oe-pkgdata-util list-pkgs -p mtdev
mtdev-dbg
mtdev-staticdev
mtdev-dev
mtdev

> PS if you wish to email me could you please use my email address rather
> than
> the gmane alias you're currently using.

I'll try. Now I reply with your regular email (hoping gmane will not
scramble it)

Regards,

Robert

* Re: jethro 2.0.1/ubi-utils not installed on target
@ 2016-02-17 19:40         ` Paul Eggleton
From: Paul Eggleton @ 2016-02-17 19:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gmane; +Cc: yocto, chris_larson

On Wed, 17 Feb 2016 10:10:16 gmane@reliableembeddedsystems.com wrote:
> On 2016-02-17 04:07, Paul Eggleton wrote:
> > If you want the complete list of packages you can only get it after a
> > recipe has been built, at which time oe-pkgdata-util can be used:
> >
> > $ oe-pkgdata-util list-pkgs -p mtd-utils
> > mtd-utils-jffs2
> > mtd-utils-ubifs
> > mtd-utils-misc
> > mtd-utils-dbg
> > mtd-utils-dev
> > mtd-utils-doc
> > mtd-utils
>
> So would something I hacked up quickly like this work?
>
> test.sh:
> -->
> bitbake -s |  awk '{ print $1}' > test.txt
> tail -n +6 test.txt > test1.txt
> while IFS='' read -r line || [[ -n "$line" ]]; do
>      echo "-->"
>      echo "oe-pkgdata-util list-pkgs -p $line"
>      oe-pkgdata-util list-pkgs -p $line 2> /dev/null
>      echo "<--"
> done < test1.txt
> <--

Well, oe-pkgdata-util list-pkgs with no arguments should list all (previously
built) packages, if that's what you're after. You can also specify a
wildcarded search term e.g.

  oe-pkgdata-util list-pkgs '*utils*'

Cheers,
Paul