* snapshot-removal - timeline ?
@ 2009-08-01 12:03 Roland
From: Roland @ 2009-08-01 12:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-btrfs

Hello,

is there a timeline for snapshot-removal ?

i did intensively play with btrfs about a year ago and was really impressed,
but i quit due to the lack of snapshot removal.
(i tried btrfs mostly because of the snapshot feature)

has there been some progress on this or is there a timeline when this
feature will be available ?

i wonder if it`s just so hard to implement or if it`s  just too low priority
on the todo list..... maybe both ? ;)

regards
roland

* Re: snapshot-removal - timeline ?
@ 2009-08-03 13:04 ` Chris Mason
From: Chris Mason @ 2009-08-03 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roland; +Cc: linux-btrfs

On Sat, Aug 01, 2009 at 02:03:37PM +0200, Roland wrote:
> Hello,
>
> is there a timeline for snapshot-removal ?
>
> i did intensively play with btrfs about a year ago and was really
> impressed, but i quit due to the lack of snapshot removal.
> (i tried btrfs mostly because of the snapshot feature)
>
> has there been some progress on this or is there a timeline when
> this feature will be available ?
>
> i wonder if it`s just so hard to implement or if it`s  just too low
> priority on the todo list..... maybe both ? ;)

Its a little of both ;)  The plan is to have this in 2.6.32

-chris

* Re: snapshot-removal - timeline ?
@ 2009-08-03 14:33   ` Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk
From: Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk @ 2009-08-03 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Mason; +Cc: Roland, linux-btrfs

On 3. aug.. 2009, at 15.04, Chris Mason wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 01, 2009 at 02:03:37PM +0200, Roland wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> is there a timeline for snapshot-removal ?
>>
>> i did intensively play with btrfs about a year ago and was really
>> impressed, but i quit due to the lack of snapshot removal.
>> (i tried btrfs mostly because of the snapshot feature)
>>
>> has there been some progress on this or is there a timeline when
>> this feature will be available ?
>>
>> i wonder if it`s just so hard to implement or if it`s  just too low
>> priority on the todo list..... maybe both ? ;)
>
> Its a little of both ;)  The plan is to have this in 2.6.32

Last I heard, someone was saying .31... Is it being moved?
--
Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk
(+47) 97542685

in

* Re: snapshot-removal - timeline ?
@ 2009-08-03 16:18     ` Chris Mason
From: Chris Mason @ 2009-08-03 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk; +Cc: Roland, linux-btrfs

On Mon, Aug 03, 2009 at 04:33:13PM +0200, Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk wrote:
> On 3. aug.. 2009, at 15.04, Chris Mason wrote:
>
> >On Sat, Aug 01, 2009 at 02:03:37PM +0200, Roland wrote:
> >>Hello,
> >>
> >>is there a timeline for snapshot-removal ?
> >>
> >>i did intensively play with btrfs about a year ago and was really
> >>impressed, but i quit due to the lack of snapshot removal.
> >>(i tried btrfs mostly because of the snapshot feature)
> >>
> >>has there been some progress on this or is there a timeline when
> >>this feature will be available ?
> >>
> >>i wonder if it`s just so hard to implement or if it`s  just too low
> >>priority on the todo list..... maybe both ? ;)
> >
> >Its a little of both ;)  The plan is to have this in 2.6.32
>

> Last I heard, someone was saying .31... Is it being moved?

Yes, it was delayed so we could finalize the other changes in .31.

-chris

* Re: snapshot-removal - timeline ?
@ 2009-08-04  7:52       ` Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk
From: Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk @ 2009-08-04  7:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-btrfs

On 3. aug.. 2009, at 18.18, Chris Mason wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 03, 2009 at 04:33:13PM +0200, Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk wrote:

>>> Its a little of both ;)  The plan is to have this in 2.6.32
>>

>> Last I heard, someone was saying .31... Is it being moved?
>
> Yes, it was delayed so we could finalize the other changes in .31.

It's strange that such a small thing should be delayed so much. If =20
snapshot removal was working, I'm quite sure we might get more users =20
and thereby more stable code faster.

roy
--
Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk
(+47) 97542685

@ 2009-08-04 15:02         ` Brian Neu
From: Brian Neu @ 2009-08-04 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-btrfs

> ?

> year ago and was really
> snapshot removal.
> snapshot feature)

> there a timeline when

> or if it`s  just too low
> ? ;)

> have this in 2.6.32
> >>

> >> Last I heard, someone was saying .31... Is it
> being moved?
> >
> > Yes, it was delayed so we could finalize the other
> changes in .31.
>

> It's strange that such a small thing should be delayed so
> much. If snapshot removal was working, I'm quite sure we
> might get more users and thereby more stable code faster.
>
> roy
> --

I don't know whether it's small in required effort, but I know as a user the feature would be big.  I actually have a non-critical, redundant backup system that I was set to install with .31, betting on the snapshot removal.  You can't please all the people all the time, but I thought I'd write to voice an opinion for prioritizing it for .32.  Thanks.

* Re: snapshot-removal - timeline ?
@ 2009-08-04 18:33         ` Chris Mason
From: Chris Mason @ 2009-08-04 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk; +Cc: linux-btrfs

On Tue, Aug 04, 2009 at 09:52:51AM +0200, Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk wrote:
> On 3. aug.. 2009, at 18.18, Chris Mason wrote:

> >>Last I heard, someone was saying .31... Is it being moved?
> >
> >Yes, it was delayed so we could finalize the other changes in .31.
>

> It's strange that such a small thing should be delayed so much. If
> snapshot removal was working, I'm quite sure we might get more users
> and thereby more stable code faster.

It's a small feature but it gets deep into the difficult parts of the
dentry cache to do it right.  So, it definitely isn't easy.

-chris

* Re: snapshot-removal - timeline ?
@ 2009-08-05 11:18           ` Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk
From: Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk @ 2009-08-05 11:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-btrfs

On 4. aug.. 2009, at 20.33, Chris Mason wrote:

>> It's strange that such a small thing should be delayed so much. If
>> snapshot removal was working, I'm quite sure we might get more users
>> and thereby more stable code faster.
>
> It's a small feature but it gets deep into the difficult parts of the
> dentry cache to do it right.  So, it definitely isn't easy.

I'd say it's a pretty elemetary feature to be able to remove something =
=20
you have created. I know, you can remove the files and so on, but =20
still, having a bunch of old and empty snapshots lying around is no =20
good.

roy
--
Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk
(+47) 97542685

@ 2009-08-05 11:54             ` Josef Bacik
From: Josef Bacik @ 2009-08-05 11:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: roy; +Cc: linux-btrfs

On Wed, Aug 05, 2009 at 01:18:33PM +0200, Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk wrote:
> On 4. aug.. 2009, at 20.33, Chris Mason wrote:
>
>>> It's strange that such a small thing should be delayed so much. If
>>> snapshot removal was working, I'm quite sure we might get more users
>>> and thereby more stable code faster.
>>
>> It's a small feature but it gets deep into the difficult parts of the
>> dentry cache to do it right.  So, it definitely isn't easy.
>

> I'd say it's a pretty elemetary feature to be able to remove something
> you have created. I know, you can remove the files and so on, but still,
> having a bunch of old and empty snapshots lying around is no good.

Patches are always welcome.

Josef

* Re: snapshot-removal - timeline ?
@ 2009-08-05 18:28             ` Andrey Kuzmin
From: Andrey Kuzmin @ 2009-08-05 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-btrfs

On Wed, Aug 5, 2009 at 3:18 PM, Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk <roy@karlsbakk.net=
> wrote:
>
> On 4. aug.. 2009, at 20.33, Chris Mason wrote:
>
>>> It's strange that such a small thing should be delayed so much. If
>>> snapshot removal was working, I'm quite sure we might get more user=
>>> and thereby more stable code faster.
>>
>> It's a small feature but it gets deep into the difficult parts of th=
>> dentry cache to do it right. =A0So, it definitely isn't easy.
>

> I'd say it's a pretty elemetary feature to be able to remove somethin=
g you have created.

Snapshots are somewhat counter-intuitive in many respects: for
instance, one snapshot-capable file-system performs writes to  a
dataset with snapshots _faster_ than to the same dataset w/o
snapshots. Snapshot removal is no exception - it's a bit more complex
than one would think.

Regards,
Andrey

> I know, you can remove the files and so on, but still, having a bunch=
 of old and empty
> snapshots lying around is no good.

> roy
> --
> Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk
> (+47) 97542685
> roy@karlsbakk.net
> http://blogg.karlsbakk.net/
> --
> I all pedagogikk er det essensielt at pensum presenteres intelligibel=
t. Det er et element=E6rt imperativ for alle pedagoger =E5 unng=E5 ekse=
ssiv anvendelse av idiomer med fremmed opprinnelse. I de fleste tilfell=

@ 2009-08-05 18:46               ` Christian Mikovits
From: Christian Mikovits @ 2009-08-05 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrey Kuzmin; +Cc: linux-btrfs

I guess whats really hard to program: snapshot removal when not
copying the data, but only pointing to that data and writing the
differences from that point on. Figure out how difficult it is to
remove snapshot 3 of 7; When snapshot 1 is the original data, snap2
the diff from 1 to 2, snap 3 the diff from 2 to 3, .... so you have to
merge the data of snap 3 and 4.

But the benefits are obvious: instant snapshots and very low space
consumption (in case you don't delete lots of your 'live' data).

On 8/5/09, Andrey Kuzmin <andrey.v.kuzmin@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 5, 2009 at 3:18 PM, Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk <roy@karlsbakk.n=
et>
> wrote:

>>> It's a small feature but it gets deep into the difficult parts of t=
he
>>> dentry cache to do it right. =C2=A0So, it definitely isn't easy.
>>

>> I'd say it's a pretty elemetary feature to be able to remove somethi=
ng you
>> have created.
>
> Snapshots are somewhat counter-intuitive in many respects: for
> instance, one snapshot-capable file-system performs writes to  a
> dataset with snapshots _faster_ than to the same dataset w/o
> snapshots. Snapshot removal is no exception - it's a bit more complex
> than one would think.
>
> Regards,
> Andrey
>
>> I know, you can remove the files and so on, but still, having a bunc=
h of
>> old and empty
>> snapshots lying around is no good.
>

>> roy
>> --
>> Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk
>> (+47) 97542685
>> roy@karlsbakk.net
>> http://blogg.karlsbakk.net/
>> --
>> I all pedagogikk er det essensielt at pensum presenteres intelligibe=
lt.
>> Det er et element=C3=A6rt imperativ for alle pedagoger =C3=A5 unng=C3=
=A5 eksessiv
>> anvendelse av idiomer med fremmed opprinnelse. I de fleste tilfeller
>> eksisterer adekvate og relevante synonymer p=C3=A5 norsk.
>>
>> --
in

* Re: snapshot-removal - timeline ?
@ 2009-08-05 19:40                 ` Andrey Kuzmin
From: Andrey Kuzmin @ 2009-08-05 19:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christian Mikovits; +Cc: linux-btrfs

On Wed, Aug 5, 2009 at 10:46 PM, Christian Mikovits<gaelic@luchmhor.net=
> wrote:
> I guess whats really hard to program: snapshot removal when not
> copying the data, but only pointing to that data and writing the
> differences from that point on. Figure out how difficult it is to
> remove snapshot 3 of 7; When snapshot 1 is the original data, snap2
> the diff from 1 to 2, snap 3 the diff from 2 to 3, .... so you have t=
> merge the data of snap 3 and 4.

Depends on the snapshot design: if snapshots are implemented with
reference counts, nothing needs to be merged (but simplicity in this
respect comes at the cost of garbage collection).

Regards,
Andrey

> But the benefits are obvious: instant snapshots and very low space
> consumption (in case you don't delete lots of your 'live' data).
>
> On 8/5/09, Andrey Kuzmin <andrey.v.kuzmin@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Aug 5, 2009 at 3:18 PM, Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk <roy@karlsbakk.=
net>
>> wrote:

>>> I'd say it's a pretty elemetary feature to be able to remove someth=
ing you
>>> have created.
>>
>> Snapshots are somewhat counter-intuitive in many respects: for
>> instance, one snapshot-capable file-system performs writes to =A0a
>> dataset with snapshots _faster_ than to the same dataset w/o
>> snapshots. Snapshot removal is no exception - it's a bit more comple=
>> than one would think.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Andrey
>>
>>> I know, you can remove the files and so on, but still, having a bun=
ch of
>>> old and empty
>>> snapshots lying around is no good.
>>

>>> roy
>>> --
>>> Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk
>>> (+47) 97542685
>>> roy@karlsbakk.net
>>> http://blogg.karlsbakk.net/
>>> --
>>> I all pedagogikk er det essensielt at pensum presenteres intelligib=
elt.
>>> Det er et element=E6rt imperativ for alle pedagoger =E5 unng=E5 eks=
essiv
>>> anvendelse av idiomer med fremmed opprinnelse. I de fleste tilfelle=
>>> eksisterer adekvate og relevante synonymer p=E5 norsk.
>>>
>>> --
in