* HSP Ring command
@ 2009-06-17 12:49 Jothikumar Mothilal
From: Jothikumar Mothilal @ 2009-06-17 12:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: marcel, linux-bluetooth; +Cc: Jothikumar Mothilal

Hi Marcel,
I am running HSP profile test cases with PTS tool.
I am using Ubuntu 9.04 with Bluez 4.32.

For all HSP test cases, PTS is expecting RING command from IUT.
>From our analysis, headset_send(hs, "\r\nRING\r\n"); " in audio/headset.c i=
s not getting initiated.
I am thinking, RING command is suppose to send by dbus as we register the c=
all backs. But dbus is not triggering the RING command.
Is this expected behavior in BlueZ?
What version of BlueZ and dbus do we need to use for better performance?

Please clarify.

Thanks,
Jothi

* Re: HSP Ring command
@ 2009-06-17 15:45 ` Johan Hedberg
From: Johan Hedberg @ 2009-06-17 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jothikumar Mothilal; +Cc: marcel, linux-bluetooth

Hi Jothi,

On Wed, Jun 17, 2009, Jothikumar Mothilal wrote:
> I am running HSP profile test cases with PTS tool.
> I am using Ubuntu 9.04 with Bluez 4.32.
>
> For all HSP test cases, PTS is expecting RING command from IUT.
> From our analysis, headset_send(hs, "\r\nRING\r\n"); " in
> audio/headset.c is not getting initiated.
> I am thinking, RING command is suppose to send by dbus as we register
> the call backs. But dbus is not triggering the RING command.
> Is this expected behavior in BlueZ?

There is the IndicateCall D-Bus method in the org.bluez.Headset interface
which you can use (see doc/audio-api.txt for more info). However for
proper telephony integration you'll need to use a telephony driver (see
audio/telephony-*.c) so that the call indication occurs because of a real
call event of your telephony subsystem.

By default bluez compiles in the dummy telephony driver which provides a
simple D-Bus interface to drive it. There's also a python test script for
it in test/test-telephony which you can use to simulate telephony events.
E.g. "test-telephony incoming 1234" would simulate an incoming call from
the number "1234" and should cause the RING to be sent for HSP
connections.

Also note that starting with version 4.33 bluez uses HSP version 1.2 which
does *not* use the RING indication when the AG has been configured to use
inband-ringtone (for out-of-band ringing it's still used). However 4.32
(which you have) still has HSP 1.1 where the RING indication will always
be sent.

Johan

* RE: HSP Ring command
@ 2009-06-17 16:05   ` Vikram Kandukuri
From: Vikram Kandukuri @ 2009-06-17 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johan Hedberg, Jothikumar Mothilal; +Cc: marcel, linux-bluetooth

Hi Johan,
Do we have any VOIP application like SKYPE which has implemented D-Bus meth=
ods for incoming/outgoing/call hold indications?

If we do not use *RING* indication for inband ring from HSP 1.2 I wonder wh=
y BQB tests for HSP still have a test case where we have to send AT+RING co=
mmand when we place a call.

Thanks
Vikram.k

ger.kernel.org] On Behalf Of Johan Hedberg
Sent: Wednesday, June 17, 2009 9:15 PM
To: Jothikumar Mothilal
Cc: marcel@holtmann.org; linux-bluetooth@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: HSP Ring command

Hi Jothi,

On Wed, Jun 17, 2009, Jothikumar Mothilal wrote:
> I am running HSP profile test cases with PTS tool.
> I am using Ubuntu 9.04 with Bluez 4.32.
>
> For all HSP test cases, PTS is expecting RING command from IUT.
> From our analysis, headset_send(hs, "\r\nRING\r\n"); " in
> audio/headset.c is not getting initiated.
> I am thinking, RING command is suppose to send by dbus as we register
> the call backs. But dbus is not triggering the RING command.
> Is this expected behavior in BlueZ?

There is the IndicateCall D-Bus method in the org.bluez.Headset interface
which you can use (see doc/audio-api.txt for more info). However for
proper telephony integration you'll need to use a telephony driver (see
audio/telephony-*.c) so that the call indication occurs because of a real
call event of your telephony subsystem.

By default bluez compiles in the dummy telephony driver which provides a
simple D-Bus interface to drive it. There's also a python test script for
it in test/test-telephony which you can use to simulate telephony events.
E.g. "test-telephony incoming 1234" would simulate an incoming call from
the number "1234" and should cause the RING to be sent for HSP
connections.

Also note that starting with version 4.33 bluez uses HSP version 1.2 which
does *not* use the RING indication when the AG has been configured to use
inband-ringtone (for out-of-band ringing it's still used). However 4.32
(which you have) still has HSP 1.1 where the RING indication will always
be sent.

Johan
in

* Re: HSP Ring command
@ 2009-06-17 16:34     ` Johan Hedberg
From: Johan Hedberg @ 2009-06-17 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vikram Kandukuri; +Cc: Jothikumar Mothilal, marcel, linux-bluetooth

Hi,

Please don't use top posting on this list. The flow of quoted emails gets
messed up when inline and top posting are mixed.

On Wed, Jun 17, 2009, Vikram Kandukuri wrote:
> Do we have any VOIP application like SKYPE which has implemented D-Bus
> methods for incoming/outgoing/call hold indications?

AFAIK no.

> If we do not use *RING* indication for inband ring from HSP 1.2 I wonder
> why BQB tests for HSP still have a test case where we have to send
> AT+RING command when we place a call.

I'm not sure what you're referring to here. I've never heard of an AT+RING
AT command. Also the HSP spec has no mention of such a thing and actually
the AG is never sending AT commands to the headset but only responses to
AT commands or unsolicited result codes like the RING indication.

If you were talking about the RING indication and not an AT command, then
it should depend on what kind of PICS values you have selected. It is
possible to disable the RING requirement for the AG role completely with
HSP 1.2.

Johan

* HSP Ring command
@ 2009-06-17 12:37 Jothikumar Mothilal